Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2007-01-07, 6:04pm
KAS Lampwork Beads

Default Hollow Boro Beads?

Does anyone make hollow Boro beads? Saw some pics of some and was wondering if they're made the same way as when using soft glass or are they made from hollow tubing? The ones I saw were sort of long shaped (sorry, no link) and colors were beautiful. Thank you for any help. K-
Old 2007-01-07, 6:08pm
Dangerous Woman

Good question.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2007-01-07, 6:22pm
Pyromaniac

My understanding is that they are made with tubing. I have, however, had no luck yet in my attempts. I've made a couple blobs and a thing-a-ma-bobber but as yet no hollow beads.

I believe it helps to have claw grabbers and a graphite reamer and possibly a flaring tool to do this... I'm still playing with my boro tubing despite a lack of tools...

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2007-01-07, 6:43pm

They are made with tubing, and somewhere I saw a tutorial on them. The only question is where! I'll check and see if I can find it.

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio
GTT Phantom & 2-Integra 10's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-01-07, 7:39pm
ManBearPig

I make them one of three ways...

1. Take some clear tubing and pull points. I start with 22mm heavy wall. Pull into a point, then heat it up, roll it in powder, decorate, etc.

2. Take a 9mm tube and coil pot the color on the end. Then attach another tube that is sealed on the opposite end. Heat and shape.

3. Take a larger tube, pull a point on one end, then flare it open. Decorate the inside, then close it back down and shape it. This is an "inside out" bead.

Yeah, I realize that those are very vague generalizations. Hopefully I can get some pics of one sooner or later. Pics are truly worth 1000 words in this situation...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-01-07, 8:26pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Here's a hollow boro bead made the same way I
make hollow soft glass beads (I wound two tall
skinny beads a few mm from each other and joined
them up).

Yes, it can be done the same way - although in my experience
most people making hollow boro beads use the tubing method
(which I plan on learning someday <g>).

Name:  borobox 9.jpg
Views: 1072
Size:  69.6 KB

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2007-01-08, 4:37am
KAS Lampwork Beads

This would be a good project to be shown in Brent's Boro book. K-
Old 2007-01-08, 5:07am
Pyromaniac

inside-out beads are beautiful, I love the implosion effects you can get, esp with some fuming!

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2007-01-08, 3:27pm
Nah, not really...;)

I don't know how to work w/ tubing yet, so I do mine the old fashioned way.
Here is a pic, I haven't made one in awhile, but I found them to much, much easier w/ Boro than soft glass.

Old 2007-01-08, 4:53pm
Hummel factory reject

Here are some of mine. They are made with tubing. As cosmo mentioned pull points, decorate, melt in color, blow to shape and pull off ends and marver hole. Simple!!! The blue are inside out (some of my first) and the group are all assorted tubing hollows. Lori

Last edited by kiko; 2007-06-13 at 8:57pm.
Old 2007-01-08, 6:51pm
KAS Lampwork Beads

OH! Nice! Will try your method tomorrow Carrie since I don't know how to pull points or have any hollow tubing. BTW....what size tubing is used for the inside-out beads? Thanks for the pics....those are some awesome beads! K-
Old 2007-01-08, 6:54pm
Hummel factory reject

I/O is 25 mm standard wall tubing, I think? Good luck! Lori

Old 2007-01-08, 8:10pm

Here is my first attempt at an inside out bead that I did about 6 months ago. (The bead was between 3 and 4 inches long.) It was such a trumatic experience that I haven't tried since. Maybe next month...
Attached Images

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Last edited by e. mort; 2007-01-08 at 8:12pm.
Old 2007-01-09, 2:32am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

roflol eric, I am so happy you show your " failures" , makes me feel less like a dork

Old 2007-01-09, 3:21am
Nah, not really...;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne View Post
roflol eric, I am so happy you show your " failures" , makes me feel less like a dork
Agreed!

Old 2007-01-09, 6:51am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. mort View Post
Here is my first attempt at an inside out bead that I did about 6 months ago. (The bead was between 3 and 4 inches long.) It was such a trumatic experience that I haven't tried since. Maybe next month...
You're off to a good start. You just got it too hot and pulled on it.

Old 2007-01-09, 8:18am

I think it looks like a sea snail.
Old 2007-01-09, 2:05pm
No Problem!

The neat thing about making them with tubing is that you can twist the whole bead in different ways to distort the design, you also have alot of options as far as size and shape goes.
Here is a large inside out bead I made with tubing.

You can do smaller beads also.

I usually use medium wall tube, heavy-wall is nice to start with because it moves a little slower, though it's easier to transition up to thicker tube rather than the other way around. Sizes from 15-25mm outer diameter are nice for blown beads.
I pull points, add designs and color, carefully fuse them in while getting the shape I want, then open one end so I have the desired hole size, reaming a little bit if necessary. Full fuse a punty on with a "crank" that turns the bead on axis, then finish the other hole. The last step is to lightly grab the bead through the hole and remove the punty and polish the scar.

A visual tutorial would definitely make this easier to understand, hopefully one of us will get to it soon.
Beau

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2007-01-09, 5:28pm
Nah, not really...;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingBeau View Post
A visual tutorial would definitely make this easier to understand, hopefully one of us will get to it soon.
Beau
Snip, snap, chop, chop! JK

Beau, I am always inspired by your work...nice job!

Old 2007-02-01, 12:48pm

Hello everyone~
My experience with hollow beads is with tubing as well. It took me a while to feel good enough to do it. However, I really think it's best to have someone like Beau from Evolving Creations, show you up front and personal.
I have all the instructional videos and it didn't click until I took not one but TWO classes. It's fun once you get the hang of it but it does require patience.
Old 2007-02-01, 4:25pm
HourGlass Studio

The Shannon HIll video is pretty great for demo'ing the inside out tube beads. I have never tried it but doesnt he make it "look" easy.

Old 2007-02-03, 11:29am
Type ZZZ personality

I just watched that DVD. He does make it look really easy. As soon as I get some tubing I'm going to try it.

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2007-02-03, 11:48am
The Venerable Bead

the coil potting technique at the end of a quartz tube or hollow mandrel is another option for hollow beads

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2007-02-03, 1:41pm
No Problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venbead View Post
the coil potting technique at the end of a quartz tube or hollow mandrel is another option for hollow beads
No need for quartz tubing, that can just give you trouble with keeping it hot enough to prevent cracking at the joint while you're working it.
You can just use some 3/8"-1/2" medium or heavy wall boro tube for coil-potting. I often use point scraps (leftover handles) to coil-pot from.
The smaller diameter 4-7mm turns easier and gives more control, but you need to watch your flame closer so you don't melt it. The larger heavy wall tube is a little bit more failsafe..
Here is a Shannon Hill inspired inside-out dichro bead I recently made..

Definitely one of the more challenging ventures with tubing...
That's a pretty good video as far as technique goes. He's working fairly large, which equates to HOT..He even has a foot pedal to control the outer-fire for his CC burner, you'll notice the flame change without hands..great way to conserve oxygen when you run one of those...It's like the SUV of torches..
If you don't have hot fingers (grabbing tool) you can seal a small rod to the edge of the first finished hole of your blown bead and put a little crook (crank) on it so the bead turns on center, then carefully finish the other hole, then grab the bead with pre-heated tweezers to remove the handle.

Since I've been neglecting the construction of a proper tutorial I compiled this list of "tubing tips" for now.

You can work smaller to keep things more manageable, you can also get away with using a smaller torch.

If you do use a smaller flame you need to work harder at finding a rythym to avoid hot-spots so your bead blows and shapes uniformly.

For starters try to avoid pulling or pushing in any noticable increments at first, just concentrate on even turning and heating, it's 10 times more important with hollow forms.

Work farther out in the flame with a neutral to reducing flame, this is more penetrating and gives more even coverage with heat.

Apply color in even formations until you have the feel to control the awkward behaviour that results from unbalanced color application.
Boro color is almost always stiffer than the clear, especially exotics and dark cobalts, it will take more heat to melt it in.
Use a hotter more oxidizing flame and turn the glass faster to melt in surface decorations and colors, this will help keep the body of the piece from getting to soft. If it starts to get too soft take it out of the flame and keep turning.

Smaller dots and stringer decorations will melt in with less heat and therefore require less effort to keep the shape in check.

Don't blow the glass out too thin! Heat, let it cool slightly, then gently blow and turn, watching and checking carefully.

Just start playing with tube and count on scrapping some to learn, if a bead gets away from you, you have to decide when to quit and start over, sometimes you'll really wear yourself out trying to recover a lost cause.
This is why it's good to start simple so you don't invest too much time and energy into something that you won't be able to finish.
Stick with it and tubing can become your best friend.

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2007-02-03, 9:18pm
HourGlass Studio

Damn...I want a foot pedal. LOL. Seriously though I really want to try this. I need a hotter torch ( I am on a minor, but looks like I will be getting another oxycon ).

I suppose for now I can just coil pot some small hollows. Seems like there is so much waste with pulling points.

Beau your beads are always awsome !!!

Old 2007-02-04, 2:14am

Laurie - Where did you get your copy of the Shannon Hill DVD? I have been trying to track one down forever and no one seems to have it in stock!

Thanks for the tips Beau! You work is beautiful

Kari
Old 2007-02-04, 4:38am
Nah, not really...;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingBeau View Post
Showoff! JK, nice work, as always.

Old 2007-02-04, 11:17am
HourGlass Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLittle View Post
Laurie - Where did you get your copy of the Shannon Hill DVD? I have been trying to track one down forever and no one seems to have it in stock!

Thanks for the tips Beau! You work is beautiful

Kari

A store in Edmonton.....pm me if youd like me to get you a copy. Store is Bedrock Supply. Not sure if they have a DVD for sale ( I may have bought their last ) but I did see a VHS, same price $52.50

Last edited by Laurie L; 2007-02-04 at 11:20am.
Old 2007-02-04, 12:44pm

http://www.needabead.com/
link to shannons site, you can order video/dvd there email or call
ro
Old 2007-02-04, 1:26pm

Thanks! I think I will try going directly to the source.