AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room > Free Boro Tutorials

Old 2008-09-26, 6:13pm

What a great, sharing group here! Thank you!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-09-27, 1:03pm

Default wow

Thanks Ya'll

can't wait to try these out.

Dan
Old 2008-09-27, 8:14pm
Dannyboy

Lol we need this thread bumbed to the top lol I need more color for my addiction. Lol the funny thing is I have all Momo/NS/GA colors and tuns of pastels and I still look at my station and say I need more color????
Old 2008-09-28, 7:02am
funny mofo

NS Irrid mixed with GA Disco Sparkle results in something a lot like Silver Unobtainium. This is handy to know if you run out.
Old 2008-09-28, 7:33am
funny mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
If you're fulcrum mixing a drill can make it a little easier since you can get it really thoroughly twisted in, kind of like a mixer vs. you and a spoon.

Get a lightweight drill though, trust me

My nice lightweight 15-year old cordless drill won't hold a charge anymore, and those big testosterone-replacement drills (seriously, a 10-pound DRILL? to use all day? with one hand? Sometimes a drill is more than a drill, my friends) are too big for me to use with small hands. And nothing to prove, drill-wise. Anyone know of a good very lightweight drill with jaws that adjust for any size rod? There are lots of small lightweight tools with enough power that only accept a 1/4 inch bit, but I can't always convince my glass rods to have 1/4 inch diameter ends. I hate being outwitted by inanimate objects.

Old 2008-09-29, 5:17am
Pyromaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sableglass View Post
Lapis "like" blue tubing = periwinkle with a layer of dark cobalt pulled down.
I'm not understanding this one -- is it periwinkle over blue tubing or those two colors over clear tubing?

Thanks,

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2008-09-29, 9:54am

sorry...lol

start with Clear tubing, then a layer of periwinkle covering the entire tube. then a coat of dark cobalt encasing the periwinkle. Pull that down and use to how you see fit. = lapis blue tubing.

Ebay Auctions
Old 2008-09-29, 9:57am

another combo of interesting color tubing is...

clear tubing encased with moss, then a layer of dark cobalt or brilliant blue encasing the moss, pull that down.

I normally use 32mm or 38mm clear tubing to start.

Ebay Auctions
Old 2008-09-29, 3:52pm
Megan's personal Sherpa

Thanks all! I am still so new to boro I am hungry for any and all tips on how to use the stuff! Boro has so many characters.........and I'm not just talking about it's enthusiasts! I have 1/4 pound lots of a few colors and the GA Sampler to toss in the mix so I can experiment for AGES to come! And silly me, I kept reading "over" to mean "encase" when folks talked about using one color over another.......but thankfully after only a couple of weeks, I realized what it really meant! See! I can catch on pretty fast sometimes!

Thanks again to all, this is such a great group of characters.......er.......folks!

Deb
Old 2008-10-01, 8:05pm
Star Traveling Super Hero

IMPLOSIONS: I get really good results from a layer of triple passion(thirtyeight) then a layer of amazon bronze(thirtyeight), implode, spin, stike. Its hot orange/yellow/red/purple with a ghost of blue. I recommend backing with raven(82) becuase amazon bronze can leave a real funky backside (unless you like a little junk in your trunk), which of course was intended by GA to look like real brass patina.

Im on
now!!!!!!

Last edited by vega; 2008-10-01 at 8:07pm. Reason: darn 8) translator...
Old 2008-10-02, 8:11am

Okay, I have one for all you purple fans ~ Borostix 14 ~ Spring Purple cased with NS 113 ~ Turbo Amethyst.... so yummy!!

Image after posting looks lots darker.... give it a try ~ I think you will like it!

Old 2008-10-11, 10:44am

THANK YOU EVERYONE!! I'm a newbie with a small stash of boro. Just got my 2 M-15's and heading off to try a few of these! Wish me luck!

Old 2008-10-14, 9:08am
Always with a smile!

Ok, I need to visit here more often. Thanks everyone!

) and
)
Old 2008-12-06, 11:01am
Pyromaniac

Updated this thread through 12/06/08.

Old 2008-12-06, 2:56pm
product of the universe

Quote:
My nice lightweight 15-year old cordless drill won't hold a charge anymore, and those big testosterone-replacement drills (seriously, a 10-pound DRILL? to use all day? with one hand? Sometimes a drill is more than a drill, my friends) are too big for me to use with small hands. And nothing to prove, drill-wise. Anyone know of a good very lightweight drill with jaws that adjust for any size rod? There are lots of small lightweight tools with enough power that only accept a 1/4 inch bit, but I can't always convince my glass rods to have 1/4 inch diameter ends. I hate being outwitted by inanimate objects.
http://shop.ebay.com/items/ryobi%20l...?_dmd=2&_sop=1
I purchased one of the ryobi 12volt lithium drill from home depot.It was 70$ and came with an extra battery and carrying case. Since the lithium battery weighs less and the drill is smaller this works great for mixing color. I'm very happy with it. Oh yeah it fits up to a 10mm boro rod.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2008-12-06, 3:40pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginkgoglass View Post
Updated this thread through 12/06/08.
Thank you for keeping this going Lana!
So awesome!!!

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-12-07, 6:12pm
Flamewoman

Default Green Exotic Frit

These are always a favorite for me. This is Green exotic frit over Ruby Strike 4. Just remember that you can't use Schott to encase, you will not get the reactions shown here. ( why I do not know ) I always use simax clear, for these.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2008-12-07, 7:55pm

Mix up real good equal amounts of Northstar rootbeer and Northstar green exotic then if you want coat with a thin layer of clear, twist a bit then pull down to a usable size.

Old 2008-12-08, 10:28am
Normal is Boring!!

Lana- you are awesome to start this thread and share your knowledge and love for boro glass.
Everyone who is adding more information- Thank you! Boro is not the easiest and it's great to get some help from my experienced glass friends.

~
~

Antique Brass Findings

Old 2008-12-10, 2:48pm
Spoiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterdark View Post
Lana- you are awesome to start this thread and share your knowledge and love for boro glass.
Everyone who is adding more information- Thank you! Boro is not the easiest and it's great to get some help from my experienced glass friends.
DITTO!!!

An amazing Cuda with 2 M15's & propane, a Lynx, and a Tondodama torch.

Old 2008-12-11, 8:13am

wow thanks, i always forget about mixing!
ro

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.
Old 2008-12-14, 5:00pm

WOW...ya'all. I'm getting some crazy screamin' colors from Galactic Dragon Fire and Silvered Amy and White. As soon as I get them out of the kiln, I'll get pics. I'm jazzed.
Samma

Old 2008-12-15, 6:51am
Pyromaniac

Ooooooo I just got some Galactic Dragon Fire in the mail, Can't wait!

Old 2008-12-15, 9:25am
Megan's personal Sherpa

I got some really cool magenta out of Momka's American Beauty with Northstar Butterscotch frit over it! I hadn't been using the American Beauty because it is a really "blood red" color by itself (at least that is what it did for me......) and I wasn't too excited about it but one piece I made had some Northstar Caramel on it and where it met the American Beauty it turned it sort of magenta. Last night I decided to see what it would do with the Butterscotch frit and was really, REALLY, RRRREEEEEEEALLLLLY delighted with the results! I'll post a pic as soon as I get a photo!

Flinging flaming frit at friends for fun!

Deb
Old 2008-12-15, 9:36am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary K View Post

These are always a favorite for me. This is Green exotic frit over Ruby Strike 4. Just remember that you can't use Schott to encase, you will not get the reactions shown here. ( why I do not know ) I always use simax clear, for these.
Schott has calcium in it, which reacts differently with the glass. Simax doesn't have calcium in it.

Old 2008-12-15, 9:44am

Quote:
Originally Posted by samandsha View Post
WOW...ya'all. I'm getting some crazy screamin' colors from Galactic Dragon Fire and Silvered Amy and White. As soon as I get them out of the kiln, I'll get pics. I'm jazzed.
Samma
Galactic Dragaon Fire ~ Haven't heard about that one.... of course, I 'need' some

Old 2008-12-15, 11:25am
Living out Loud

Thanks so, so, so much for this thread. I have lots of Boro, now I know which direction to go in.!!!

Old 2008-12-15, 4:28pm

K...here's the pics of the Galactic Dragon Fire and Silvered Amy over Star White
Heart:
Side 1:

Side 2:

Snow Flower:

Have fun ya'all ;-D

Old 2008-12-15, 5:03pm
Megan's personal Sherpa

Who sells Galactic Dragon Fire and Silvered Amy?

Flinging flaming frit at friends for fun!

Deb
Old 2008-12-15, 5:16pm

I got both at ABR. Silvered Amyseth is a Percision and Galactic Dragon Fire is a Northstar Experimental.