LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2013-06-06, 10:35am
Mr Brutus RIP

Default Anyone use a shipping container for studio?

I really need bigger for a studio. I have an 8x10 right now and if I use my fusing kiln (on the floor) it takes up the whole walk space basically. So dh and I are thinking new larger studio and he will use mine for storage of yard tools and mower stuff.
Does anyone use a shipping container? i've seen pics somewhere of them as apartments but I'd love to see studio pics...... and any helpful info you might share when you converted it to a studio.
Thanks
sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-06-06, 11:02am
I fart diamonds

You can pick up a 10x12 Steel shed for less than $400 and finish it on the inside to use. I have an Arrow barn style that I use for storage, but it's definitely big enough to use for studio space. I got it on sale at Sears for $269 a few years ago and paid some guy $75 to put it together for me.

(Just another idea for you to kick around)

Old 2013-06-08, 6:17am
Gentleman of Leisure

Be aware, shipping containers are steel walls and ceilings.... It takes serious work to cut in "man doors" or windows or ceiling openings for fans or sky lights...Also difficult to attach things to walls unless you drill holes through walls and use bolts or lag screws from outside...... Best to look into any modification you think you many want and see what costs are before you purchase.... There are sales yards that will modify container to your specification but each modification comes at a cost... Might want want to actually contact local yard and see what they do or what can be done before you give it too much thought...

There is also the issue with heat and cool meaning a plain steel container may need at least additional ventilation to keep condensation to a minimum...

Also you my want to consider adding insulation in studio area as plain steel walls will be cold in winter and hot in summer...

I have been looking into a container for a metal working (blacksmith) shop so my comments come from a tiny bit of research and awareness of what I have found... Any way there is some things to think about, but basically they make a really solid structure, they are heavy and it take serious equipment to move and place them and the location has to be level and prepped for container as if its not level its a major project to get it level.... Also it may be a issue with local zoning codes whether you can even place container on your property....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2013-06-08 at 6:26am.
Old 2013-06-08, 6:51am
Mr Brutus RIP

Thanks shawnette and dale. Shawnette i will check those out. Really hoping for larger tho. i hate not being able to have several projects out at one time, having to put everything packed away before starting the next. it just doesnt work that way for me. Lol.

We may just go with a space metal type building. I'm in Florida so winter really isn't an issue but summer certainly is. . Thank you both for the info !

Old 2013-06-08, 7:32am
Loving learning

I got a Superior Shed, they make them to order, windows, doors, etc.
More money, but guaranteed, tied down for hurricane protection, etc.
I do wish I'd gone larger because I have so much in there (stained glass, fused glass, lampwork, pottery!) I'm saving to get another one for storage of some stuff, to get some of my junk out of the craft shack.
Old 2013-06-08, 7:34am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassymom View Post
Thanks shawnette and dale. Shawnette i will check those out. Really hoping for larger tho. i hate not being able to have several projects out at one time, having to put everything packed away before starting the next. it just doesnt work that way for me. Lol.

We may just go with a space metal type building. I'm in Florida so winter really isn't an issue but summer certainly is. . Thank you both for the info !
They make larger ones. That's just the size that I have.

Old 2013-06-08, 1:51pm
Alaska Boro

A plasma cutting torch would be a good tool for working on steel a shipping container.
Old 2013-06-08, 6:33pm

Hi Sue,

Yup, I use a 20 foot shipping container for my studio, and I love it! We bought it from a company that customizes them to your specifications. Theres sliding glass patio doors in the end, and windows on all the other walls. Electrical and drywall too. Here's a couple of old pics, when I was first getting set up.

Old 2013-06-08, 7:58pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Eileen, that is my problem, I went too small. Dh kept telling me that I needed insulation, electrical, had to keep cost down for the money I had to spend........ well it has never been finished, and its too darn small. I should have gone bigger then it wouldn't have mattered if it never got finished. LOL
Thanks Shawnette, I will check into bigger sizes........ Price certainly sounds good!

Karen, WOW, it looks great! I would LOVE something like that....... Do you have more pics? any chance you would share price finished? Would really love to see more pics if you have them. do you live in a cold climate.....or hot? how is it?
thanks everyone for your help!
Sue

Old 2013-06-08, 9:03pm
Salt Box Beads

I think you would be much better off with a used office trailer. They can be had cheap and usually come with lots of electrical, AC, even bathrooms.

Here is an example:

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/bfd/3846186525.html
Old 2013-06-08, 9:37pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Chandler View Post
I think you would be much better off with a used office trailer. They can be had cheap and usually come with lots of electrical, AC, even bathrooms.

Here is an example:

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/bfd/3846186525.html
That's a great idea!

http://orlando.craigslist.org/rvs/3796508465.html

Old 2013-06-08, 10:36pm
Salt Box Beads

WOW! Shawnette hit the jackpot! I wouldn't mind buying one for me!
Old 2013-06-09, 9:59am

I agree, those office trailers look great, and maybe way cheaper than a shipping container. In our area containers run anywhere from $2000 to $2000, depending on condition, and that's just for the container.
Old 2014-03-07, 11:15am
Artistically Absorbed

I had a 20 foot container for my studio in Alaska. It was great because it was really hard to find studio space where I lived. Housing was at a premium and in demand, and places I could find didn't really want me torching in them. It was the perfect solution.

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64