Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2006-01-20, 1:02pm
oxygen deprived

Default My studio which isn't really mine...

So I work in the metals studio at my school, and my setup is a little less than desirable. That said, the ventilation is DAMN good (3300CFM!!! w/ 2200CFM replacement air w/ door shut), I have a sink right next to my setup, and I can keep my tanks inside.

I cleaned in honor of my new torch arriving, so I though I'd snap some pics while it looks decent!

That's my lovely rod warmer on the right - a Belson ceramic heater for curling irons.

My new CUDA!!!!! And yes, that's a BBQ lighter. I have a secret desire to blow myself up.

My glass rack is made out of heavy duty cardboard paper towel tubes and scrap wood from the sculpture studio. It's normally covered with that funky patterned skirt which you can just see on the edge of the photo. $.95 @ thrift!

On the left you can see an enamel chart I made which I promised to photograph and post on WC about three months ago.

I built my digi controller - it cost around $100, and ramps up n down w/o supervision, or just sits at a setpoint. No programs, but it does what I need it to.

Erm... No, I wasn't drinking and playing with fire...

Old 2006-01-20, 2:22pm
JOAT, Master of None

WOW.... What an awesome job you have.

Now,,, how do I get the bank to put in a lampworking studio
Old 2006-01-20, 4:54pm
Boldly going

That's a sweet setup. I love the ventillation intakes.

Didn't they have any bigger 'C' clamps? lol, just kidding. It's so red! Clashes with the Cuda. Very nice.

Brad

Many of life's failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. - Thomas Edison

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
Old 2006-01-20, 5:00pm
Nah, not really...;)

Very very nice!
Thanks for showing!

Old 2006-01-20, 8:20pm
Cancer SUCKS!

Default Great setup

Hi Alissa,

Was fun meeting you in WI. Your work area is awesome!!! I bet you are just loving that NEW torch!!

I am struggling to figure out my ventilation. Keep posting all your goodies when you make them.

Deb in MN
Old 2006-01-20, 10:53pm
oxygen deprived

hehehe...

And I didn't even post pics of the vent hood & casting area! I'm so lucky to have the space to work in! Since they fired the metals professor, there's only one other person who works in there. I don't mind sharing as long as she isn't chasing. (For non metal ppl - Chasing ain't tossin a shot back, then following with something tastier, it's a very loud way of making bowls or something. LOUD is key.) Now, if only I could have my glass rack next to me... but beggars can't be choosers...

Brad, I DID have a bigger C-Clamp - but I came to the conclusion it was overkill. lol. And you thought this one was big!!!!!

Quote:
Now,,, how do I get the bank to put in a lampworking studio
You could do it more cheaply than I did - mine costs roughly $35K/yr. lol.

Deb- It was great meeting you too. Hell, it was great meeting everyone! What a blast. Ya know, there are some very cheap rather ghetto ways of hooking ventilation up - get a gigantic used fan on ebay or locally, stick it in a window, use air conditioning ducts (like JC's) to run it to your torch station. Voilá!
Old 2006-01-20, 10:58pm
oxygen deprived

Oh, and both clamps were stolen from my father. I've been borrowing his stuff constantly since I started w/ glass, and he told me at Christmas that my mother raised me for the growing up phase of my life, and now he's responsible for my education in the present tool phase of my life. hehehe.
Old 2006-01-21, 5:56pm
oxygen deprived

Did I mention that this studio is HUGE?

It's kinda weird working in there all alone.

Old 2006-01-26, 11:30am

Wow, almost makes me want to go back to school, almost. How great to have such a great space and only have to share with one other person!!

I'll have to come see next time I'm in the area!!

"You were born an original, don't die a copy!" - John Mason