LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-07-15, 6:30am

Default question on oxygen tanks

I want to upgrade to a minor torch... found a great price on a kit to get going.. I was just wondering how long a tank of oxygen lasts people???
Right now I can't afford to buy a concentrator..... but sure would like to upgrade my torch..
any answers would be greatly appreciated.
Sheltie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

National 8 w/oxygen concentrator
Old 2007-07-15, 7:18am
You can call me Slater

Depends on a few things:

How big is the tank?

How much torching do you do in one session?

And how big are the beads your torching?

I have two 4ft tanks, and one tank could last me a couple of days. I tend to make fairly large beads, and sometimes torch 4 to 5 hours at a time.

Hope this helps!
Old 2007-07-15, 8:11am

When I was buying mine I was hoping someone could give me some answers. And like Penny said it really depends on how long you work and if you turn off the flame when looking for new glass or long pauses while you work, etc.

I usually figure my tank will last a week of pretty solid torch time. Longer if I work less, less if I work more. I like my tank and that I don't have to worry about the added noise in the room.

That said, if you plan to move to an oxy con, I'd say do it asap. Cost wise I'm sure I could have bought many in the time I've had my tank.
Old 2007-07-15, 8:34am

Default oxygen tank

Hi Sheltie,
I have an 80 cf oxygen tank and I use to make beads for 2 hours at a time. I approximately got just a little over 6 hours out of my tank. It was also suggested to me at the time that I buy my tank and not lease. For that size tank I paid $195.00 plus tax. Then my oxygen refills were $23.17 a week!!
Debbie
Old 2007-07-15, 8:58am
In search of her path....

they charged you 23.17 for a 80 cf tank refill? WTF? thats outrageous....I had a 225cf tank for lease and my refills were only like $14 and my monthly lease price was $7....I could take it in to the local place and exchange it or pay extra to have someone come out and switch it out.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2007-07-15, 9:28am
Gentleman of Leisure

Bottom line is spend more dollars up front, get concentrator and it will pay for its self sooner vs. tank costs... Ever dollar you spend on tank and refill is a dollar less you have to get concentrator.... IF you have to buy a expensive tank and pay from refills you could have had a concentrator for less than tank and 5-8 refills... Good concentrator, used, go for about $250-350... IF you get lucky, Like I did, I picked one up locally for $100 from family member of neighbor who passed away.... Look around locally, you never know where you may find one and for what price.

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-07-16, 6:15am

Thanks for all the advice... Man,, I had no idea they ran out so fast.. I usually spend around 2 to 3 hours out on the torch.... That wouldn't last me long at all... and I wouldn't have great access to go and get my tank filled up again.... plus having to drive 26 miles to do it.... with the price of gas... oh boy.... Well... now for my second question... Give me some great sites where you can buy a concentrator,,, and I will do some checking around my local area too...
hugs,
Sheltie

Old 2007-07-16, 6:22am
ManBearPig

We have been selling quite a few concentrators recently. One of them will run a minor very nicely. For our classes we run minors on one concentrator.

http://www.soleiletlune.com/webstore...1&cat=0&page=1

Old 2007-07-16, 7:01am

I got my last one (a used one) from a place that fixes ones that are used for medical purposes. Try something like that first I only paid $75.00 for it. It is just like the first one I bought from someone on line at three times the cost and if anything runs better than the first one.
Liz R

MADE IN THE U.S.A.

Lead me not into temptation, Oh hell follow me I know a short cut
Old 2007-07-16, 7:16am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus Beads View Post
I got my last one (a used one) from a place that fixes ones that are used for medical purposes. Try something like that first I only paid $75.00 for it. It is just like the first one I bought from someone on line at three times the cost and if anything runs better than the first one.
Liz R
If you do that, be sure to find out what their policy is on repairs (if they will even repair it). There is a 5 year warranty on ours.

Old 2007-07-16, 7:20am
what housework?

I'm a newbie and I only get to torch a couple times a week max because I also have 3 children...6yrs, 4yrs, and 11mos. It's all I can do to get in the garage.
I have a 300cf (cf means cubic feet) it's one of the largest tanks and buddy is it heavy. I lease my tank for $40 a year and pay $16 to have it filled. (If I lived a touch closer to my suppliers route it would be $15).
I have a minor torch. I'd have a hard time telling you how many hours it lasts. I would say about 25 hours. But I could be wrong as my sessions are so sporadic.
Find a supplier from a friend that does lampwork. It's a lot easier to explain what you need when they already supply another lampworker. It's really hard to get what you need when you don't know exactly the right words and when they don't have a clue what you're doing. See if they can deliver to your home (residental delivery) cause those tanks are freaking heavy. I'm a bit out of the way and so I pick mine up from a glass blowing studio located nearby.
Good luck.
Shelley
Old 2007-07-16, 7:24am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo_Beads View Post
I'm a newbie and I only get to torch a couple times a week max because I also have 3 children...6yrs, 4yrs, and 11mos. It's all I can do to get in the garage.
I have a 300cf (cf means cubic feet) it's one of the largest tanks and buddy is it heavy. I lease my tank for $40 a year and pay $16 to have it filled. (If I lived a touch closer to my suppliers route it would be $15).
I have a minor torch. I'd have a hard time telling you how many hours it lasts. I would say about 25 hours. But I could be wrong as my sessions are so sporadic.
Find a supplier from a friend that does lampwork. It's a lot easier to explain what you need when they already supply another lampworker. It's really hard to get what you need when you don't know exactly the right words and when they don't have a clue what you're doing. See if they can deliver to your home (residental delivery) cause those tanks are freaking heavy. I'm a bit out of the way and so I pick mine up from a glass blowing studio located nearby.
Good luck.
Shelley
I would say much longer than that, actually. I have 4 280 CF tanks. I run my Carlisle CC on them. I get about 8-9 hours per tank, and my torch uses probably 10 times as much oxygen as a Minor....

Old 2007-07-16, 7:28am
what housework?

I need to get a fill on my tank and so I'll try to keep a log of my hours next time and let you guys know.
Also, I think I'm going to get a second tank so I always have two tanks in the garage/studio. It really stinks when you run out. I'd like to have the option of just switching over and then getting the other filled 'at my leisure'!
Old 2007-07-16, 8:08am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus Beads View Post
Liz R
where would I look for a place like that?

Old 2007-07-16, 8:12am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheltie19 View Post
where would I look for a place like that?
Look in the phone book for someone who sells home medical supplies.

Old 2007-07-16, 8:18am

I am so glad you asked about this! I just got my new torch (thanks to Cosmo!) and I was wondering how long a tank would last. I am shocked!! I figured it'd be much longer! In my class they had a pretty big tank, no idea the cf, but they ran about 6 torches at a time on them and they seemed to last over a week. After seeing that I figured it'd last me almost forever (ok, an exaggeration but still). This will be interesting to see how everyone responds to this. I might have to look into a concentrator afterall!
Old 2007-07-16, 8:38am

In the class we did in KC there where I think six of us on minors and Brent on a Baracuda. We went through I think three 250cf tanks during the two days.

That said, Kimberly and the GTT guys did some comparisons on the flame characteristics and gas consumption of the Bobcat, Minor, and Mini CC and posted the results here:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=38

I would prefer independant tests, but this is the best I have found so far.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2007-07-16, 8:54am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ewing View Post
In the class we did in KC there where I think six of us on minors and Brent on a Baracuda. We went through I think three 250cf tanks during the two days.

That said, Kimberly and the GTT guys did some comparisons on the flame characteristics and gas consumption of the Bobcat, Minor, and Mini CC and posted the results here:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=38

I would prefer independant tests, but this is the best I have found so far.
Yeah. I've actually considered doing some tests myself. I have a flow bench that will test torches and compare flow rate, but the problem is I don't have one of every torch to test, so my tests wouldn't be complete...

Old 2007-07-26, 7:10am

Well... I ended buying a national 8 torch... and went ahead and ordered the oxycon... I just think that will suit my purposes much better... I have gotten my torch.. my regulator.. and am waiting on my oxycon..... I am so excited.. can't wait to get it set up and go play..
thanks for all your info....
Sheltie