Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2007-08-06, 8:39am

Default New pics of my studio...bigger and better

I posted around christmas time of my studio.... but I have changed lot of things since then... got a new torch.. a oxycon.. and nice storage cupboard..and more organized... wanted to show you what all I have done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

National 8 w/oxygen concentrator
Old 2007-08-06, 10:10am
it is what it is......

really nice lu!

Old 2007-08-06, 11:08am

Looks nice. What are you doing for ventilation?

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2007-08-06, 2:35pm
old fart

propane tank inside?????

Old 2007-08-06, 2:36pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarus View Post
Looks nice. What are you doing for ventilation?

-Diane
I knew somone ask that... right now I have the garage all open.. but I am going to be putting a vent hood in before winter sets in

Old 2007-08-06, 5:09pm
Lampworker

vent hood should be the first thing u build
Old 2007-08-06, 6:44pm

Very nice space, add the ventilaion now please.
Old 2007-08-07, 6:55am

I don't mean to be a bitch... but it sure would be nice to post a pic and not get all that critisism..... I know I need to get ventalation.. and I will... and what is wrong with my little propane inside... I am sure people have it in their garage all the time.... I was just thrilled with getting it bigger,,and adding a new torch and storage... and then all I hear is bad stuff.

Old 2007-08-07, 7:06am
phrit phreak

Yeah! I recognize that kiln
lookin good girl!!

Old 2007-08-07, 7:37am

looks great sheltie!
I'm sure no one means to be negative, they just want you to be safe. Congratulations on your new studio! It's very exciting! and a very cool space

Old 2007-08-07, 5:11pm
Cherine Perrin Glass

Sheltie, Very nice space! With that being said, we all just care about our fellow lampworkers and silicosis is very serious and there is no cure.
Here is some info on it...

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs238/en/

Good luck,

Cherine

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2007-08-07, 9:14pm

Ah Sheltie.. I am sorry you are hurt. I can feel your disappointment. I know you are proud and very excited about your new space.. We really do all just care about you!! I know how sweet you are!

There was a lampwoker that died several months ago here in Colorado because he wasn't using the right ventilation. Who knows how many of us will have serious health problems as we age. It is just really important to take care of your self..SO..you can keep making pretty beads and enjoying your awesome setup!!!

Check with your insurance company about the propane..I think most homeowners insurance will reject a claim if you have combustable gas in your home/garage..

What kind of torch did you get??

Chin up sweetie!

Old 2007-08-07, 10:05pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheltie19 View Post
I don't mean to be a bitch... but it sure would be nice to post a pic and not get all that critisism..... I know I need to get ventalation.. and I will... and what is wrong with my little propane inside... I am sure people have it in their garage all the time.... I was just thrilled with getting it bigger,,and adding a new torch and storage... and then all I hear is bad stuff.
Please understand something, we want you around for a long time so we can watch you grown and develop and be able to see you what you produce in your studio... If by some chance there is a accident involving the propane tank and you are injured we all would miss that opportunity. The simple act of moving propane tank outside may prevent a horrible accident and then we can indulge in our selfish desire to see you be a success..

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2007-08-07 at 10:34pm.
Old 2007-08-08, 10:17am

Sheltie,
I am sorry your feeling were hurt. I am guilty of putting my propane in the garage on more than one occasion. Just want you to be healthy.
Congratulations on your new torch, oxy con and storage!
Way to organized, maybe you can come help me.
The red cabinets are great. Good for you, MarieAnn
Old 2007-08-08, 11:27am
Type ZZZ personality

I like your idea of having your oxycon in the knee area of the desk. Clever!

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2007-08-08, 11:36am

thanks everyone for caring.. I will get ventalation before winter does set in.. I just don't have the money right now... I have to save up again.. hope to get some leads on some used vents.... and I got a national 8 torch.. and thanks for liking my idea where I put my oxycon..

Old 2007-08-08, 2:34pm

Sheltie, we do care and that's why we were asking. I know how you feel about being anxious - I took some risks before I got my complete setup and it did make me feel pretty ill. I was fortunate that I didn't have any long term effects. Look in the Safety section here - there are a couple of recent threads that describe what can happen if you don't have adequate ventilation.

Here are a couple of links to good information on ventilation for lampworkers:

http://www.artglassforum.com/forums/...ead.php?t=1915
http://www.artglassforum.com/forums/...ead.php?t=1918

Please feel free to ask questions. There is a severe lack of good information about this subject out there as well as misinformation, so it never hurts to ask.

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2007-08-10, 2:07am
First bead: 2007-04-28

Hi Sheltie!
Nice studio you got there!
I ALSO have my propane tank inside when I torch... Then when I'm done I carry it out on the balcony. And I don't have any ventilation other than all vindows open (I live i a rented flat on the 4th floor- and we're not allowed to remodel the flat - in ANY way!).
I would love to have a set up like yours! Maybe I'll be so lucky once we can afford our own house.

Ann
Old 2007-08-10, 7:09pm

Silicosis comes from free silica molecules. Once glass has been made the silica has been fused and transformed. It no longer has the hook shaped crystalline form that causes the lung damage.

You can get it if you are making your own batch glass, but not from melting or crushing glass rods. You can get fine dust particles in your lungs, but that is not the same thing as silicosis.

All of this I learned from a good friend who has a masters in Industrial Hygiene, and I get a lot of practical safety data from him.

We need to be aware of the real dangers, yes we need ventilation, but silicosis is not a relevant danger in most of our studios.

Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Crazy View Post
Sheltie, Very nice space! With that being said, we all just care about our fellow lampworkers and silicosis is very serious and there is no cure.
Here is some info on it...

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs238/en/

Good luck,

Cherine

Now Fully Stocked!!!!
Old 2007-08-18, 9:24pm

Just to let you all know... I have purchased a vent hood.. found what I wanted on craigs list.. It will be installed before the winter air sets in.

Old 2007-08-19, 5:27am

Congratulations on your new hood!! MarieAnn