No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-09-16, 8:40pm
Channeling Chaos

Exclamation Burns & Prevention

Okay...while I read alot about safety regarding ventilation, propane, oxygen, and other issues, I don't recall seeing alot about burn prevention. So, I thought I would paste here what i put in the bathroom this morning:

I work in a studio that relies on intake air from the door that is to my back. It was very windy and I happened to be doing some close up detailed work at just the wrong moment. The burn on the front of my hand is the area around the thumb and webbing to the index finger, a little bigger than the size of a silver dollar on my left hand. Inside the palm area was burned up to my index and middle finger. I went straight to urgent care and they said I was lucky not to have melted the skin between the 2 fingers. I had a tetanus shot and have been using double antibiotic ointment the whole time.

So, I started thinking about other's comments to my post and want to post here for more feedback.

* I like the idea of getting a leather apron - need to figure out where to purchase.

*I will now keep a bottle of purified water on my bench so if I get burned again, I can pour CLEAN water on it immediately. (The only water I had in my studio was sitting in a bowl with lots of mandrels and beads.) Can you say tetanus shot?

* I just bought kevlar gloves without the fingertips.

Any other ideas or things I might have missed? I can tell you that this has been a very painful experience and if I can help anyone else avoid what i am going through then my burn and this long post was worth it.

Alana
Old 2007-09-16, 9:03pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

I recommend getting into the habit of TOUCHING any rod or tool with your fingertips... a quick touch... before grabbing it. You'll get used to doing it before you know it, and it can save a lot of burned hands.

Also Available in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-09-16, 9:11pm

I am still getting my studio set up so I haven't been burned yet (hopefully never). However I did purchase a short leather jacket and bib at a resonable price at www.weldingdepot.com
Old 2007-09-21, 10:47am

Harbor Freight has long welding aprons made out of heavy leather. Very reasonable prices.
Old 2007-09-21, 11:08am

Grainger Has leather welding arpons
www.grainger.com
Item Details
Safety > Protective Clothing > Welding Clothing

Apron,Bib,24 X 36 In
Bib Apron, Size 24 x 36 Inches, Protective Leather, Thread, Premium Cowhide Grainger Item # 5T179
Price (ea.) $22.41
Brand CONDOR
Mfr. Model # 5T179A
Ship Qty. 1
Sell Qty. (Will-Call) 1
Ship Weight (lbs.) 1.5
Usually Ships** Today
Catalog Page No. 1989
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...ryString=5T179
Old 2007-09-21, 12:22pm
Missing presumed fed

I got my leather apron (not heavy) at Harbor Freight.

My tip is to think hard about the organization of your table and eliminate anything that will tempt you to reach in front of (or across) the torch. It seems like most bad burn stories start with, "I was reaching in front of the torch for . . ."

And remember that the torch stays hot even after you turn it off. I'm still wearing a mark from reaching in front of a torch that was turned off and getting a little too close.
Old 2007-09-22, 11:56pm
He can do the origami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torcha
Any other ideas or things I might have missed?
I hope you are able to do something to cut down on the wind interfering with your flame. The kevlar gloves are a great help I am sure but you may just as easily burn your fingers if the flame is dancing around in the wind that bad. Does the door have a screen? If not would a screen door help? Is there some way to deflect the wind from blowing directly at your flame?

My very first studio set up had a similar issue. I ended up making a three sided "wind screen" similar to a privacy changing type screen. The make up air was still able to flow in but the screen stopped the flame from melting glass one minute and melting my hand the next.

Otter
Old 2007-09-24, 9:13pm
Lovin the Lampworker life

Hi there! Burns happen, unfortunately, no matter how careful. One helpful thing I learned was once burned, you are supposed to cool that area for a LONG time under cool running water to get the heat out of the flesh. This was interesting to me, the burning/destruction continues even once your wound is out of the fire. Next, there are a million salves, but Silvadene ointment is the best, if you are not allergic to sulfer. (Silver sulfadine). I am a veterinarian so I can get it easily but if you are friends with your vet or doctor you ought to be able to get a small tub to keep in your studio. It is what they use on burn victims in the hospital. Anyhow, hope that helps for the next time you get an ouchy . Doretha
Old 2007-09-24, 9:58pm
Channeling Chaos

Otter - Yes, I have worked out the issue with the air intake. I checked this weekend and even though it was a bit windy outside, the studio and torch were not hampered by the wind. So that is taken care of.

Dorothea- I believe you about lots of cold running ater. Even the next week, when I was putting ointment on the burn, it would melt and pool at the edges of the burn. i keep hearing about the Silvadene, but am allergic to sulfa drugs. I have heard that calendula gel is also helpful.

Alana
Old 2007-09-25, 12:48am
He can do the origami

I was afraid you were going to recommend some Ace Promazine and a tick dip Doretha.
Just bust'n your chops my Queen!

Otter
Old 2007-09-25, 7:37am
Missing presumed fed

Lavender oil, either straight or a few drops mixed with aloe gel. Make sure you get the real 100% pure stuff, both for the lavender oil and the aloe gel. It's probably not recommended for a serious burn, but it's been great for small burns. Smells good, too. I keep it within reach of my torch table.
Old 2007-09-25, 10:02pm
Lovin the Lampworker life

Hi again, for what it's worth, I'm very allergic to sulfa antibiotics but silvadene cream is no problem for me. ? So topical Silvadene might not hurt you. I have also heard the lavender oil/aloe concoction and a friend of mine does lavender oil/aloe/vitamin E. happy torching! Doretha P.S. Hey Otter!!!! Look at me with 6 posts, woo hoo!!!
Old 2007-09-26, 2:57am
Happiness is....

I use a big container of ice water to cool burns. not putting ice directly on the burn until it cools completly, and then I put silvadene on it. I have been able to torch the next day. Maybe my burns aren't all that bad. I am a weinie about owees! though.

A Crickett and 2 5lp oxycons
Old 2007-10-24, 7:46am
Have Laptop Will Travel

Ok can anyone recommend a pair of light flame resistant gloves? My wife has burned herself a couple of times by accidentally passing her hand into the flame and gotten some nasty second degree burns so I would like to find some type of gloves that would protect most of her hand. Any recommendations ?

Act as though the principles by which you live by, will one day; become a universal law of nature...
Old 2007-10-24, 7:54am
Pyromaniac

#1: Wear pants.

LOL. This seems so common sense, but I have walked out to the studio in shorts and burned the crap out of my legs. Not smart, leaned the hard way . . .

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2007-10-24, 7:55am
Pyromaniac

#2: No low cut tops.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2007-10-24, 8:58am

Definitely get a leather apron. I'll ditto the recommendation for Harbor Freight; wish I'd known about them before I got mine from a local welding supply. I do plan to get some of those fingerless kevlar gloves as well; I have burned myself a couple of times - once in a situation cited here where the wind was blowing my flame around and I didn't move quickly enough. Another time was when DH was working in his shop on the other side of the garage and kept saying "hey, look at this"; because he was insistent about it I wasn't paying attention to where my hand was in relation to the flame. Needless to say I both told him to stop (yes he felt bad) and now I NEVER torch when he's in there working!

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2007-10-24, 9:23am
Senior Moment

I alway keep Badger Balm near my work area. I have no scares from any of the burns I used that on, and it take enough of the sting away to allow me to keep working.
I comes in a metal tin, so it is safe from all the stuff on my work bench.

Old 2007-10-24, 11:38am

Silver sulfadiazine is a great burn ointment if you can get it. I also recommend Second Skin moist burn pads. We found them at Eckerd's locally. (http://www.drugstore.com/qxp13046_33...n_pads_2x3.htm)

Never 'cross the tube' when the torch is lit and beware of a hot torch face for quite a while after it's turned off. I've been burned most often by bumping a non-lit torch that's still hot.

Robert
Old 2007-10-26, 2:58am
First bead: 2007-04-28

I have an Aleo vera plant at my work-space for burns. I put the juice from the leaves on the burn, it works like a charm. Aloe vera should not be used by people who suffers from skin rashes or allergies though, since Aleo vera might make such worse.

Oh... and I mosty get my burns when I want to fuse shorts together and I for some STUPID reason decide that I need to check which end of the rod is the hot one...

Ann

Last edited by AnnDK; 2007-10-26 at 3:00am.