Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

View Poll Results: How many beads you you put per mandrel?
One 25 29.76%
Two 25 29.76%
Three 13 15.48%
More than Three 21 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-10-21, 7:28pm

Default How many beads per mandrel?

In general, when doing production style Boro beads (not focals) for sets and such how many beads do you make on a mandrel?

Also if you do more than one, what procedure do you use? Do you do each stage for all the beads one at the same time, or complete a bead and then move on to the next?

Cheers,

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.

Last edited by Paul Ewing; 2007-10-21 at 7:34pm. Reason: Added Boro to clarify ;)
Old 2007-10-21, 7:31pm

I don't trust myself to keep them warm enough to not crack - and I just realized this is a boro question, and I gave a soft glass answer... *duh*
(I'm on a HH, so 1 is a correct answer.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2007-10-21, 7:32pm
Moving On

I try to do at least three, and I do the stages all at once, then move on to the next stage for all the beads. I generally only manage this with boro, lol! With soft glass, I get distracted, and something winds up exploding!-Gail

Old 2007-10-21, 7:33pm

I am just starting making beads, but I can see where making more than one bead per mandrel could have benefits. Speed is one since it cuts down the taking it to the kiln step and you don't have to use as many mandrels. Plus it makes it easier to make similar sized beads. Doug R in his video shows making three to the mandrel, but I haven't had a lot of luck with that. I can get two decent sized ones to a mandrel though after some practice.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2007-10-21, 7:50pm
daughter and I

I like to make 2, I tend to have problems attempting 3

Seaside Fire Designs

Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just swish and spit.
Old 2007-10-21, 7:51pm
Your Royal Fritness

Oops, I did not realize it was a boro poll (I answered before reading the posted question) I answered more then 3 so you can take that one out of your poll.

Sorry about that, Dawn

Old 2007-10-21, 8:17pm
Serenity Now!

I generally do 2 - 4 per mandrel, depending if there is any design on them or not. I do them in stages: wind the glass on for each, go back to the first and melt down, then the second - by that time the first one is ready for a light strike and then design|encasement, as the case may be. Works for me...

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2007-10-22, 3:45am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

when making round beads with relative small holes I usually do two per mandrell. When doing my production big hole beads I do five or six per mandrel

Old 2007-10-22, 7:16am
Button Queen

Wow. I'm having trouble just making ONE bead on a mandrel...! LOL! I still haven't really figured it out. If I don't get the glass on just right the first time, I just can't get it all to melt in and round out without losing the mandrel...
Old 2007-10-22, 11:26am
Booger #7

I usually do 2. It seems if I do three, I can't keep the sizes as consistant. Generally, I wind on the base for each, then go back and do frit or dots or whatever and melt in for each then encase and strike if necessary.

Old 2007-10-22, 11:37am
ManBearPig

One and only one. I do it that way to make sure I get the colors consistent from bead to bead.

I've found that after having made however many hundreds or thousands I've made, I've become a pretty good judge of putting glass on the mandrel so that I can get them pretty consistently shaped from bead to bead.

Old 2007-10-24, 9:52am
Pyromaniac

This thread got me thinking -- I ususally do one or two per mandrel. I tried yesterday to do 4 per mandrel and it worked. Thanks for the thread.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2007-10-25, 8:00am

I generally do 4-6 per mandrel. I work each bead all the way through and then move on to the next. I flame strike though. So half way through the next bead I go back to the last one and strike it. I seem to get more consistant colors and sizes this way.

Old 2007-10-25, 9:42pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I did 6 just to prove that I could.

I sometimes do 3 - but one usually ends up getting fubar'd.
So I either do one or two.

Keep in mind that I don't really "do" spacers (well, I try - but
like bitchy high school cheerleaders, they tend to fatten up
as time goes by ). My smaller beads are at least 15mm+.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Last edited by Karen Hardy; 2007-10-25 at 9:44pm.
Old 2007-10-25, 10:12pm
Eugene, Oregon

Soft glass spacers only... 3-5 it is all in the heat. If you screw up the the heat the first one cracks. I warm the rod about 1 & 1/2 inches up befor the first bead. That way I can lay down the glass fast... its soft glass so this is the only way I can win with multiple beads on a mandrel.
Good luck if you try this, it is a great way to get nice same size spacers.
If I decorate the spacers at all I only make two and bounce back the heat to keep both warm as I go, the same way you would when making a hollow bead.

Oh and yes there are a few jelly beans... dang it.

Cheers from Nancy Gant
Old 2007-10-26, 3:46am
First bead: 2007-04-28

I only work with soft glass and I tend to work small. When I do spacer-beads I do 3 on one mandrel, I do all steps before I fo to the next bead. I only make 2-3 mandrels full then I get bored. I don't worry too much about keeping the beads hot, since I use a vulcano, which keeps the beads hot while I work.

Ann
Old 2007-10-26, 4:39am
Where's the coffee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy View Post
Keep in mind that I don't really "do" spacers (well, I try - but
like bitchy high school cheerleaders, they tend to fatten up
as time goes by ).
That almost made me spit coffee...

Old 2007-10-29, 2:51pm
Gay rights R human rights

I usually can do 3 in boro but this weekend, all of the first beads decided to commit suicide.....so I guess its back to two

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2007-10-29, 9:57pm
Booger #7

I was practicing doing three again today, but I screw up the middle one every time!

Old 2007-10-30, 10:40am

I generally do 7-8 14mm beads on a mandrel, but can do 9-10. I do them all in stages, dancing back and forth in the flame.
Old 2007-10-30, 11:17am
Does it come in Purple???

OK - 8 14mm wide beads will take up approx 4" of mandrel space without any spaces inbetween. How long of a mandrel are you using

~~

Bloodletting, mayhem and massacre first thing in the morning is the best way to start the day
Old 2007-10-31, 5:59pm

I find it relatively easy to make a large number of wonky beads in boro ... since they don't crack nearly as easily as soft glass (of course they end up different colors in my experiments so far). I usually begin and end any torching session with a row of spacers and I can make up to 9 in soft glass (my mandrels are 18" long with about 5 inches of bead release) - they're not all perfect by any means - some not usuable, but I enjoy seeing how many I can do. I have a pattern I work in so that I continually go over the previously made ones - and I do them in stages ...

Old 2007-10-31, 8:06pm
Glass Addict

I am new but have been playing with Boro and I have consistently gotten 4 without issues. Soft glass however, is another story and I can only get two before they suffer major fates!

"Life is too short for drama & petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly"
Old 2009-12-08, 12:59pm
funny mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue H-K View Post
I was practicing doing three again today, but I screw up the middle one every time!
Try doing the middle one first. No, seriously.
Old 2009-12-08, 3:28pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

One at a time. All my beads manage to get wider on top than on bottom, so I lay the mandrel on my L shaped torch marver with the wider part of the bead touching both sides of the edge of the L, and I pull the bead into the marver a little and then I move the bead to the other side of the marver and push the other side of the wider part against the marver. Now I have a bead that is a pretty uniform donut shape. If I had two beads on the mandrel I couldn't do this.

Old 2009-12-08, 8:43pm
Harold Williams Cooney

mandrel? what's a mandrel?

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
, entertainment that improves Colorado.
Old 2009-12-08, 9:12pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Some kind of monkey? Bright red on the face? Anyone know who's got that red in boro?

Old 2009-12-09, 7:36am
Debra Clutter

Wow, 7 to 10 beads! I do 4 at the most. Soft glass and boro. I seem to do less on a mandrel in boro.

#C-108
Art is the desire of a man to express himself, to record the reactions of his personality to the world he lives in. -Amy Lowell-

Old 2009-12-09, 5:10pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Mandrel? Forget the monkey business. I got it figured. A mandrel is the opposite of a womandrel. A mandrel is for big heavy boro work, like the kind Tim Allen from Tool Time would use. A womandrel is a tough-as-nails version that a no-nonsense woman would use, like Kyra Sedgwick from The Closer.

Old 2009-12-11, 5:19pm

AnnDK, What is a vulcano torch?