The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-07-07, 6:06pm
Fiddle-dee-dee!

Default Kiln Controller Problem?

Hello all,
I just got back out into my studio for the first time in a couple months. I have a Sundance kiln and a Jen Ken Controller. I went to turn on my kiln and came back in for a bit. When I went out it was ramping down. Hmmm. I told it to follow my program again and watched it this time. When it got to approximately 915, it started ramping down again. I checked the program entered and everything is entered correctly. This is the first time I have had trouble in several years. Any ideas what I should do?

Thanks so much!
Kate
Old 2009-07-07, 7:29pm
Fiddle-dee-dee!

Okay, I've been out messing with it again, and it is a HotGlass kiln from Sundance...sorry! Now it will only get to 250 degrees. I was thinking it was the controller, but now I am thinking the kiln itself because the red light isn't coming on like normal.
Old 2009-07-07, 8:31pm

I'm not familiar with that type of kiln or controller. But I would try turning it off and unplugging it, then plug it in and try re-programming it (even if it's the same schedule), then start the program. If the red light doesn't come on, it's probably your controller or an electrical issue outside of the kiln. If the controller starts up, but doesn't follow the program you've put in, it's still probably a controller issue rather than a kiln issue. You might also check the thermocouple to make sure it's still where it should be and there are no loose wires leading from the controller to it.
Sorry I can't be more help, but good luck.

Mimi
Old 2009-07-07, 8:41pm
Fiddle-dee-dee!

Thanks, Mimi. I'll try reprogramming it. The red light that isn't coming on is actually part of my kiln. The Jen Ken controller is a stand-alone, rather than part of my kiln. I figured at first it was the controller, but I am thinking now that it might be the kiln itself not heating correctly. I am so sad because I was so excited to get out there tonight after a few months!
Old 2009-07-08, 5:12am

IF thats a stand alone controller. a real super easy test to see if its your kiln is to un plug the kiln from the controller and plug it right in to a wall out let and see if the temp rises like it should.

the 2 most likely causes are the relay in the controller or the thermocouple.
If its the thermocouple you should have some kind of error fault code on the display and it probably wont display the temp in the kiln properly.

IF your controller has any sort of LED to display output when the relay should be on. to test that you can plug a light in to the back of the controller and see if when you try to run the program it should try and turn your light on. When ever the output light on the front of the controller is lit. If not its your relay.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-07-08, 9:43am
Fiddle-dee-dee!

Thanks! I'll go try that right now.
Old 2009-07-08, 10:10am
Fiddle-dee-dee!

Okay, great test! I think it is my relay. When I pull the kiln directly in, it heats up like a champ. When I plugged something into the controller, it did not light up.

I'll go search around for how to replace a relay switch. (And, yes, I am open to advice and suggestions! ) Thanks so much everyone!
Old 2009-07-08, 10:30am
Fiddle-dee-dee!

Okay, just got off the phone with Jen Ken. They have a replacement relay switch on the way. I am sure y'all will be hearing back from me when it is time to replace it.

Thanks so much for all the help!!
Old 2009-07-09, 7:01am
Formerly FishBulb

This is the only thing that scares me about this hobby, is the technical knowledge that one has to amass in order to keep things running smoothly.

I'm glad you got this figured out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.