LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2010-01-26, 4:34pm
I speak Murrini!

Default Can I see your Tuff Shed Studios Please?

I'm trying to talk my hubby into getting me a Tuff Shed for my torching; the garage just ain't cutting it Too much dirt, saw dust, traffic, etc.

Anyway, it seems the best I can hope for is 6' x 8', but I'll take what I can get! I'd take an outhouse if the door locks!

I'd love to see what you did with your Tuff Shed, if you have pictures!

PLEASE?

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-01-29, 2:40pm
I speak Murrini!

Anybody? I know you're out there!! (WINK!)

De

Old 2010-01-29, 4:30pm

DeAnne, about a year ago I ordered an Amish shed from Home Depot - called a Cottage Playhouse -complete with shutters for the windows. Mine is approx 8'x12', comes with about all you need except roofing shingles for just under $2000 including shipping. Here is a link:

http://www.homedepot.com/Storage-She...atalogId=10053

The size may be smaller than you need, but I didn't have to get a building permit for anything under 100sq ft.

Shirley

PS - they have a variety of sheds on their site, check out the others!

Last edited by madelyn1; 2010-01-29 at 4:35pm.
Old 2010-01-29, 5:10pm
Favorite color is shiny

Hi DeAnne,
I don't have a tuff shed either. I found a small local company that beat out everyone around. They had my 10x12 Shedio up in 6 hours and it cost me under 1800.00. This included 3 windows, work bench a couple other extras but not the door.... I had the door already. Of course I'm finishing the inside and I painted the outside.

I shopped around for months..... MONTHS!!

Good luck

I have pics up maybe the link below will work?

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=139406

I'm back after a long time with a cold torch. Torch Lit.... Life is goooood.....now!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---> LE
Old 2010-01-30, 10:20am
I speak Murrini!

Shirley and Lynn~

Thank you so much for posting! Those are both completely ADORABLE little studio sheds; I would be over the moon to have a small space of my very own! You must just love, love, LOVE them!

My hubby is waffling on the subject; one day, it's "Hum...maybe"; the next, it's "Well, you can figure out how to work in the Garage after all, can't you?"

Then he got the idea that maybe it would be WAY CHEAPER to build it all, from the ground up, himself. Considering it took years and years and years, and....well, the interior of the garage STILL isn't finished, I finally hired workers to do the exterior paint, the bathroom remodel, etc., since I'd waited 10 years or so to give him time to "do them himself", I'm thinking I don't even wanna chance this...I could be waiting a long, long time on this being done.

I really appreciate the guidance! Keep those pictures/links coming, PLEASE!!!!

De

Old 2010-01-30, 4:00pm

Hi De ... I have a Tuff shed!

I love my studio aka shed. We did all the interior work ourselves with insulation, sheetrock, benches etc and I had an electrician do all the electrical work so I'm wired!

It was relatively easy to get it put up, I just had to make sure the ground was level (which included removing a tree and having the stump removed). I had looked into other companies but when it came down to it the Tuff shed was the easiest and most reliable (one near contender wouldn't even return a phone call or email).

Somewhere I have some pictures of it on the inside before it was majorly filled with my garage sale purchases! I'll see if I can find them and post them for you.

Sadie

Old 2010-01-30, 5:38pm

Wish I could help you De, but my glass work area is in the basement. I do have a storage shed in the back yard that I bought pre-built. It's made by Anchor, but I have a feeling they're pretty much local. I'm sure there are lots of places on the left coast that do the same type of thing. I had not heard of Tuff buildings until you posted this, but I looked them up. Home Depot here has buildings, so they might have them out there too. Good luck and tell your husband he can have the entire garage for whatever he's doing that made the sawdust......OR......maybe you could park a car in there. What a novel idea, doncha think?

Greg

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2010-01-30, 7:15pm
Flamewoman

I will find my Tuff Shed thread and bump it. I LOVE my tuff shed, it doesn't look anything like it does in the thread anymore....lots more glass, lots of decor. I love being out there in my own little world.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2010-01-31, 9:17pm

De...if you can order a shed, or a kit....DO IT - DH wanted to build our shed from scratch - and it took over three years...and I'm certain that we did not save any money. Granted..it's very well built - but I nearly went nuts waiting!! http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=132109 note that I just added some notes on how the heat and intake air are working in the Minnesota cold!!!

"The creative process is a process of surrender, not control.” Julia Cameron

Scorpion on 2 concentrators
Old 2010-01-31, 9:28pm
Fiddle-dee-dee!

Here is my Tuff Shed...I love it!
Attached Images

Old 2010-01-31, 11:13pm

OOH you're Miss tidy whities Kate!

Mine's nowhere near as neat now!

Old 2010-02-01, 10:29am
I speak Murrini!

Wendy~Thanks for sharing the link to your darling little place in the sun! I do worry that if hubby starts this before finishing the dozen+ other things that are in one state or another of "progress", I may have a very long wait on my hands! He's a great guy - and has wonderful intentions - but really...thinking you can "do this in a weekend" I think is way too optimistic!

Kate~What a cute Shed! I see you did some "leveling" of sorts with those step-stones(?) or concrete blocks; we have a slight slope that we'd have to deal with too - if it's gonna go on our "side yard". We also have a rather accommodating open back patio area that is already level - I'm aiming for that area myself so we don't have to do the "concrete slab" thing. I'm not sure hubby would be "down" with the "critter space" doing spaced blocks would leave...

Thanks everyone for your input...KEEP 'EM COMING!

De

Old 2010-02-01, 9:08pm
Fiddle-dee-dee!

I love my studio! It's an 8 x 10 and has plenty of room for what I need. It isn't quite as neat and tidy as it looks in the picture, but these pictures were from when it was newly built! When the Tuff Shed people came to install it, they did the leveling (it was sold as one of the options). Worked out great for me!
Old 2010-02-02, 7:26am
Flamewoman

Default Here's mine!

I love my Tuff Shed!

You can see the outside in my avatar. My shed is 10 by 12 and is roomy enough for all my stuff. I agree that if I would have waited for DH to build it well......I might still be waiting. It was enough work anyway, just finishing it!

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2010-02-02, 8:17am
Resident hippie

Here is Lorraine's thread on the set up of her horse trailer.
Plenty of ideas in a long thread.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...=horse+trailer

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2010-02-10, 7:51pm
><>

We put up an extra tall Loft Barn (10x12) for storage last March and plan to build another bldg. in the western style with a porch, for my studio.
We found this place
http://www.shedworld.com/ to be cheaper than
Tuff Shed for a more substantial better built product.
We put ours on a bed of level gravel (had a contractor friend set that up)and used recycled cement pieces for the edging holding in the gravel.
I like that it is on rails or "skids" as they called them.
If we want to move it we could empty it and attach a chain to the center
rail and slowly pull it to reposition it.
It also can be moved with a forklift. When they deliver pre-built ones that is how they 'set' it in your yard.
They often have great discounts on the on-site models and you can just ask what is available.
That didn't work for us because we had a custom super tall one with a storage loft.
De, if you don't want critters down there then have them (or hubby)attach some metal screen material all the way around it.
You can see their product line out at Tom's Farms near Corona and make a day of it. There is a produce stand, an excellent Bar-B-Que restaurant and a few other nicky-nack kind of shops out there. It's actually pretty fun.
De, I can totally relate to your situation.
We have too many things on the list that John intends and wants to do,
but his regular job alone takes up too much
of his time, so it is unreasonable to expect him to get it all done.
We have been hiring things out, one by one, according to priorities and really trying to pace ourselves and be very conservative with money considering the economy and my work-comp situation.
I have to wait longer for my studio move because it's not next on the list.
Seriously, I wouldn't wait if I didn't have to, and if you can have it done now, I would say "Go for it".
This company bent over backwards to please me, and came back out immediately when I noticed a couple small details weren't how I wanted them. I admit, I am a detail freak and I also hate for people to leave any mess or trash when they work at my home.(they didn't)
This crew was on time every day, asked me exactly how I wanted things, listened and answered questions when I watched them and pointed out a few details, all without them getting defensive, condescending or patronizing.
(I hate it when tradespeople do that, UGH!)
They were also cheerful and fun to interact with when I wanted to take pictures and hang out and watch.
If you are going out there and want me to look up the name of the salesman
I will. Just let me know. Good luck, and keep us posted
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2010-03-01, 7:21pm
onebizebee

Here is my shed. It was pretty run down when we bought the property. I don't have the money for a new one. So we decided to make due with what was already here. It was gutted and insulated really well. It stays warm and hopefully cool during the warmer months! Its still a work in progress the outside now has vinyl covering it and the kids were the ones who painted the inside! It doubles as a craft room too!

Last edited by onebizebee; 2010-03-01 at 7:32pm.
Old 2010-03-01, 7:35pm
critter creator

De, you can totally work in a 6x8 shed!

I miss mine, but look forward to getting back into it this fall. My shed is 8x10, but a decent chunk is taken up by the hearth and woodstove! It's been nice to walk right into a warm studio every day here, but it sucks being in an office building, especially since a lady down the hall does nails and the fumes get pulled into my room by my ventilation Anyways, only 2 more months of that and the price has been right...

You can look at pics here:
http://www.wesleyfleming.com/gallery/200704_studio.htm

I bought mine from a local person who builds them from scratch, so I got the door and windows where I wanted them (right on either side of my workbench, not that there was too much space to be choosy ), but price was comparable with what folks said above.

Old 2010-03-01, 7:38pm
critter creator

sigh, it made me homesick looking at those photos!
Old 2010-03-03, 8:29am
Somewhat out there!

Studios bring out the best in us. Our own little piece of earth to do with whatever we want.
Old 2010-03-03, 12:01pm
I speak Murrini!

Aw, thanks so much you guys for the pictures, encouragement and suggestions. I was SO on track there for a while; taxes, and now my husband's "left field" detour hoping to put up a Gazebo for the spa before Summer...well, has temporarily derailed my freight train! So I just keep marching on - in the garage on the good old Hot Head - and await a revisit of this with fingers crossed!

Hugs to you all...you lucky people!

De

Old 2010-03-24, 6:06am
Melting

I am so jealous! I am also working in my garage. We've been trying to sell our house for two years and can't justify spending all that money on a shed when we are hopefully moving soon! These pictures sure are giving me lots of ideas. I never thought of painting the interior, and I love the posters and color charts!

As far as sheds go, though, I will say that at the end of last summer our Lowe's had all their buildings on sale. I think it was 20% off and free delivery. If I remember correctly they had one that was just big enough to work and it was about $950 (sale price). My hubby wants to check local shed places too, because he thinks they may be cheaper now that the economy is so terrible.

If you keep an eye out you can pick up ceramic tiles from craigslist for free or nearly free for the flooring, and that helps save too, and if you know a contractor, a lot of times they have leftover paint gallons that they will give you. We had one give us 3 gallons of Porter paint in pretty pastel colors for free; I think I'll use that to paint the inside of mine when I finally get it! When it comes to projects like this, craigslist can really help you out! You'd be surprised how many people have no need for the things you want.

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20