Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-05-23, 2:25am
Aussie Jewellery Queen

Default What colours should I buy?

I'm wanting to take my first steps with boro would like to ask what colours I should start with? What would be your recommended shopping list for a newbie boro worker?

Thanks!
Shelley
Old 2006-05-23, 4:05am
Serenity Now!

Hiya Shelley! Welcome to the wonderful, magical world of boro! There are many delicious colors, and companies to choose from. I would recommend starting with a sample pack or two from a couple of different suppliers...that way, you get a wide range of colors to start with, and you can see from there which colors you like etc. Hope this helps! Remember - have FUN!

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-05-23, 5:44am

Well it all depends on how much money ya gots to spend.

First, gets lots of clear. You will use a lot of it, and it is much cheaper than the colors. The sizes I am using the most are 6, 8, 10, and 12mm rod. I also really like the 3mm rod for making dots and using as stringer.

For colors, I think the various sample packs are a good idea. Northstar, Momka, and Glass Alchemy all make sample packs. If you get one of each you will have enough color for a long time, and then you can decide which colors you like enough to re-order. You will also find out which colors you don't like. My only complaint about the GA sample pack is that the rods are so short (5") that you don't get enough glass to really get a good idea of what you can do with it. The Northstar and Momka sample packs all have longer rods so you can test it a lot more, plus you don't burn your fingers on the shorties.

Eric
Old 2006-05-23, 5:51am
ManBearPig

Well, that's why you buy a lot of clear. Take the shorts and a clear rod, heat the ends, and stick them together. Then you have a long rod that you can use.

Or, take the colored rod, layer it on the clear, and pull it down to a thinner rod. That will water down some colors, but for some, it's fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-05-23, 6:23am

Hey Chad,

The problem with that is I usually find that the color I want is the one I didn't get around to puntying up yet. At least it seems like that is what always happens. Either that or the rod I want is over in the storage rack all dusty.

Eric
Old 2006-05-24, 5:59pm
daughter and I

Plus with puntying up, you have to take the labels off. I want to keep one of each to help me remember since rods are very decieving in boro!

Seaside Fire Designs

Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just swish and spit.