Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-02-22, 6:45am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Larson
I purchased a used concentrator thru the garage sale here. I really hope someone (Brent, Chad?) can give a good technical description. I have an Air-sept, and i run it between 4 and 5 lpm (liters per minute) and that is all i know

As far as boro suppliers, http://www.auralens.net will let you order 1 rod of a color...20" long.
That sounds like the same one I have. An Air-Sep Newlife. Works okay for soft glass. I run two of them together to run my old MidRange, but it still doesn't get a very good oxidizing flame because the oxygen isn't pure. For boro I always recommend tanked oxygen no matter what size torch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-02-22, 8:46am

Chad - have you tried the P-10 or whatever Generations has - the smaller one - I ordered mine for my Piranha and will have an extra Devilbiss after that.

thanks -

Martha <<--who has officially lost her mind
Old 2006-02-22, 9:37am
Nah, not really...;)

Happy 30th Birthday Suzanne!

PS Pictures Suzanne, pictures..........

Old 2006-02-22, 9:41am
lov'in life!!!

Hey Carrie...1st class! YIPPPEEEEE! Call me or pm me. We can make some plans, lol.

The past is history...the future is a mystery...today is a gift...that's why
we call it the "Present".

Old 2006-02-22, 9:43am
lov'in life!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflykj
30 OMG .......... now that is OLD...........just kidding, I am 40 so I feel no sympathy for you!

I'll be looking for those pictures!
She'll get no sympathy from me either!!! I'll be 41 next month...yikes

Old 2006-02-22, 9:45am
lov'in life!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflykj
I made some boro lentils and a simple bracelet/earrings, here it is:

Oh poo, the colors ARE prettier in person
Carrie, those are gorgeous!!! Nice job.

Old 2006-02-22, 9:47am
Nah, not really...;)

Hi ya Krissa! where ya' been??? and thank you.....I'm getting there.

Old 2006-02-22, 9:49am
lov'in life!!!

Hey, I've been off and on but mostly off. Trying to get this house in order, which I think is a losing battle! Did you see that I am in the 1st class? I can't WAIT!!! It should be a blast

Old 2006-02-22, 9:52am
Nah, not really...;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameDancer
Hey, I've been off and on but mostly off. Trying to get this house in order, which I think is a losing battle! Did you see that I am in the 1st class? I can't WAIT!!! It should be a blast

Yippee!!! I didn't get 'it' at first.
We are going to have sooo much fun.

Old 2006-02-22, 10:09am
Nah, not really...;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley
I have to appologize for not keeping up with this thread. Chad and everybody else helping out, YOU ROCK! i am so far in the weeds and frazzled, it may take some time for me to come back here. I'll be back and answer questions then... until then, have fun! PM me if you need anything!
What is wrong w/ you? You mean you have a life?
You got me started on this and now this is what you do.....leave me hanging
Just kidding! I know 'it's not all about me'

Old 2006-02-22, 10:11am
boro color bender

Call me.. if you ever want or need to talk... I'm here for ya. Checking this thread and doing my normal stuff while battling in another thread is way too much right this moment. I should prolly drop the battle and move on, but I love a good debate. I really really do. I'm a sick puppy... I know.

(407)383-4596

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-02-22, 11:59am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreamDesigns
Chad - have you tried the P-10 or whatever Generations has - the smaller one - I ordered mine for my Piranha and will have an extra Devilbiss after that.

thanks -

Martha <<--who has officially lost her mind
No, I haven't tried one of those. I ran my Minor on two AirSep Newlifes and it worked okay, but it still wasn't "hot" like it is with regular oxygen. And, what looked like a neutral flame was actually a reducing flame because of the lack of purity.

I assume you can learn to work with a concentrator and get good results, but I was used to tanks, so it was hard for me to make the adjustment.

Old 2006-02-22, 12:15pm
Gone Fishing!

Ok.. I have a Barlett 3 key controller on my kiln...
Is this program ok if I want to Batch anneal some boro... and then maybe work in soft glass for a couple hours????

User 3

Ra1 9999
Temp 1 1050
Hold 2 hours

Ra 2 600
Temp 2 960
hold 2-3 hours

Ra 3 600
Temp 3 400
hold 0 hours
Old 2006-02-22, 12:29pm
ManBearPig

That should work.

Old 2006-02-22, 1:45pm
Back from the Dark Side

Here are some of my latest...still on a piranha with 1 oxy con. If this is what i get with that combo, wonder what i would get if i hook my o2 up? I did these on monday. Thank you guys for all of the information, inspiration and support!!

~
~
~
Steal List - 48, 50, 60, 32, and 29 for now
Old 2006-02-22, 1:54pm
Gone Fishing!

Wow Lynn... those are great ... I wish I was better about posting pics.. I have a few items in the kiln now so maybe tomorrow I can post some...
Old 2006-02-22, 2:00pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Larson
What colors are in that one? Looks like some teal sparkle in the first one.

Old 2006-02-22, 2:09pm
Back from the Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo
What colors are in that one? Looks like some teal sparkle in the first one.
Ummm...It's the same but not, one of the Obtaniums from Precision, Alaskan Thunder, Green tea (it didn't show at all) and mystery teal from Brent

~
~
~
Old 2006-02-22, 2:14pm
Nah, not really...;)

Those are awesome Lynn! I like the last set the best if I had to choose.

Old 2006-02-22, 2:14pm
ManBearPig

That teal is called Tidal Wave, and it's my favorite color. Unfortunately I only have a rod left. And, it's not in production any more.

I'm still mad at Brent for introducing me to it.

Old 2006-02-22, 2:20pm
Back from the Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo
That teal is called Tidal Wave, and it's my favorite color. Unfortunately I only have a rod left. And, it's not in production any more.

I'm still mad at Brent for introducing me to it.
That is probably it! All i have are nubbies. I'll let you know which color the sparkle is when I get home.

Thank you so much Holly and Carrie!!

~
~
~
Old 2006-02-22, 2:27pm
In search of her path....

If your getting oxy cons and have a choice check out the companion 590 models. They are bigger and heavier but the PSI is stronger. at least on mine its significantly different from the airseps and devilbiss models I have had in the past. I use 2 of these on my cheetah I cant run full bore flame on it but its pretty dam hot and im not heating my ports or tubes up to the point they are hot to touch. I cant wait till i get bigger oxygen for this torch! Then I can see what it can REALLY do!

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2006-02-22, 3:02pm
Back from the Dark Side

Chad, it is Silver Unobtanium.

http://precisioncolorglass.com/silunob.html

~
~
~
Old 2006-02-22, 3:13pm
boro color bender

Silver unobtanium is awesome!!! Get some Chad, you'll love it!

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-02-22, 3:19pm
Back from the Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley
Silver unobtanium is awesome!!! Get some Chad, you'll love it!
it's soooo sparkley....drooooll......

I think i'm gonna try that combo again, but use the Green tea for a base instead of clear. The Green tea is really cool too...a nice translucent sparkly color.

~
~
~
Old 2006-02-23, 4:47am
Old enough to know better

I've been experimenting with boro with my minor and one concentrator. My colors have been coming out ok, but it takes a long, long time to get enough heat to make a small-medium sized bead. I'm pretty careful about having a neutral flame and was able to pass the GA "Neutral Flame Test", but it's not a very hot neutral flame. I just got a 2nd concentrator but I haven't hooked it up yet. When I do, I'll switch over to my NEW Carlisle mini cc!
I was at a class at Carlisle (Boro Bead Blast) for 3 days this last weekend with Lauri Copeland. It rocked! Lauri rocks! Carlisle rocks and the teaching facility is great! Highly recommended, especially for those in the Mid-Atlantic area.
The mini cc's are really really hot when hooked up to tanked 02 and they have great ambient heat. We were able to make some big beads. I melted a 3/32 inch mandrel in the blink of an eye. I also managed to fume one of my beads with Tungsten from my poor bead rake. Not recommended. Lauri shares lots of information on working with many colors and it was REALLY helpful. There are so many boro colors out there it's a bit overwhelming at first. Lots of other great information about working with boro. I feel like I have a foundation now and can branch out from there.
When I hook up my 2nd oxycon I'll let you know how it works. I may end up getting some tanked O2, though.

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-02-23, 6:48am
ManBearPig

Yeah, for boro, I would suggest two concentrators at a minimum. You really need the extra volume and pressure.

My girlfriend took Lauri's class at BeadFest last October and she's hooked on boro now too. I tried to get her to take Brent's class in Asheville with me, but she's more interested in exploring the city than sitting in a class all day.

Old 2006-02-23, 7:31am
Gone Fishing!

Ok... I have a question... all of a sudden my new cuda started breathing. I was only using the inner flame. I have my torch hooked up to tanked oxy. Anyone have any ideas? Still made some kick ass beads yesterday...
Old 2006-02-23, 7:41am
boro color bender

It's a regulator issue more than likely. Call Ron Jr. and have him walk you through checking it out. Torches normally don't breath... just my experience. Now if it stands up and dances a jig, get it on video.

Old 2006-02-23, 7:43am
Gone Fishing!

Ok Brent... but you know what... what if its actually talking to me also... it keeps telling me really weird nasty things and also calls me names sometimes too... its so fricken weird... not sure what to do about this....