No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-10-23, 3:06pm
Hot Rod Glass-Billings MT

Question What's your favorite bead release

I'm trying to figure out an order and I need some help. I need bead release and both places I want to order from carry Fusion Products bead separator and one carries Bucket o Mud. I've been using Super Blue Sludge and Foster Fire but neither place carries those. I only want to place one order, so any suggestions on bead release. One place has some awesome looking mica powder the other has some awesome custom CIM glass.
Old 2009-10-23, 4:49pm
Bawk Bawk!

Fusion all the way! Can't believe i went so long without it
Old 2009-10-23, 4:59pm
uncouthful cats

Custom CIM glass? WHERE????

Oh no! The cats forgot to vacuum AGAIN!
Old 2009-10-23, 5:10pm
I fart diamonds

I use Sludge. If those 2 are your choices, go with the Fusion. BOM sux.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-10-23, 6:05pm

KRAG mud and Fusion

Old 2009-10-23, 6:40pm

Fusion all the way.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2009-10-23, 7:04pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Fusion!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-10-23, 7:26pm
da General

Sludge and KRAGG Mudd for small beads, Fusion for big-hole beads, Foster Fire with a bit of Fusion mixed in for anything longer than 2".

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-10-23, 7:45pm

Bucket of Mudd
Alice's

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2009-10-23, 10:45pm
Lampworkaholic!

Krag Mudd because it cleans out so beautifully. Alone, or mixed with a little Blue Sludge.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-10-23, 11:40pm

Bucket of Mud is nothing but MUD!! I hate this stuff. They need to pay people to use it. I've lost every bead I've made using it due to it cracking and flaking off during the beadmaking process. I've tried everything to make it work. I wish I had the money it has cost me in wasted glass and time.
Old 2009-10-24, 12:06am

I use it all the time Vena and have had maybe occational flaking (as with every release I have used) and certainly don't loss every bead. Sorry you have had such a problem with it, I love it.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2009-10-24, 9:20pm
Rare Florida Native

I need to buy some new bead release - winter is setting in and I will have time to spend melting.

My beef is spending 10.00 bucks on shipping for a 8 oz. container.

Any suggestions on where to buy Foster Fire or Fusion that charges shipping on actual weight of the product with a small markup for their time

BTW I am on dial-up and spent over an hour pricing bead release with shipping by checking out the popular glass sellers.

Last edited by C-Ann; 2009-10-24 at 9:23pm. Reason: additon of info
Old 2009-10-24, 9:36pm

Fusion,and also tried Best Bead Release from Mtn.it stays on better and easier to clean out. C-Ann try Morretti and More they are pretty fast and have low shipping call them they are great people.
Old 2009-10-24, 9:39pm
Fiddle-dee-dee!

Alice's!
Old 2009-10-24, 10:19pm
Lampworkaholic!

I think I just paid $150 for four 16 oz. Krag Mudd's shipped. It better last me a year - lol!

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-10-24, 11:00pm
Lover of Life

Last year I paid to have Krag Mudd delivered to someone in the States, as they wouldn't ship to Canada, then to have that person ship it to me. It cost a FORTUNE! It is lasting me a very long time, because I have to mix it to make it work! Otherwise it just falls off the mandrel. I mix it with Fusion, because I have a lot of stuck on beads from from Fusion, but the two properties of each, when mixed, are a perfect match for me.

"Your dreams are waiting for you to come true."
Old 2009-10-25, 5:54am

I've always used Sludge Plus...and still love it. It works to hold giant beads and small beads just the same. It cleans out easily with a diamond bit. I've only had it break on me a few times but still love it.
Old 2009-10-25, 6:05am
Rare Florida Native

Thanks for the tips and I guess my shipping isn't really that bad after Becky's adventure.
Anytime you need anything Becky I would be happy to send it to you

Old 2009-10-25, 12:02pm
Puddy Cat Lover

2 parts Hotline and one part BOM on the thick side. Hardly ever have any problems. EVER!

J.

Old 2009-10-25, 2:49pm

Dirty Louies holds up for me and still releases my long thin beads.
Mary T.

Old 2009-10-26, 9:01pm

Lara, I would love to know what I'm doing wrong with BOM. I've tried everything. I've pre-dipped and let dry overnight, let dry two days, let dry 3 days. I've flame dried. I live in Texas and we don't have a humidity problem where I live so I don't know whats going on with it. All I know is every single bead I've made using it has been runined due to flaking and cracking completely off. I have a whole bottle that is now useless to me
Old 2009-10-26, 9:05pm

Fusion mixed with Foster Fire ... works great! Gives me the best of both worlds.

Old 2009-10-26, 9:19pm

I sell Fusion, Dip n Go Sludge, Foster Fire and Bucket of Mud. I have to say after trying all of them, the last one I tried (which was fusion) is the best for me. Fusion is great. I don't have very many beads that pull off the bead release when first applied. It's pretty strong and I'm very happy with it.
Dip n Go is my second choice.

Old 2009-10-27, 11:45am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
Lara, I would love to know what I'm doing wrong with BOM. I've tried everything. I've pre-dipped and let dry overnight, let dry two days, let dry 3 days. I've flame dried. I live in Texas and we don't have a humidity problem where I live so I don't know whats going on with it. All I know is every single bead I've made using it has been runined due to flaking and cracking completely off. I have a whole bottle that is now useless to me
I don't think BOM has ever stayed on my mandrel long enough to even make a bead, lol. Crappiest crap ever! However, if you mix with just about any other release, it works awesome.

Old 2009-10-27, 11:49am
Born Facing Left

I've used only Bucket 'o Mud for years. And I do some violent stuff to my beads. I love it...even bring a little bottle of it with me wherever I teach. It's coming with me to Russia, in fact.

Old 2009-10-27, 12:25pm
uncouthful cats

As a newbie, this fascinates me. How is it that one beadmaker's bane is another's favorite stuff? Even taking into account different torches & working at diff. temps., I find this just inexplicable.

Oh no! The cats forgot to vacuum AGAIN!
Old 2009-10-27, 1:54pm
Born Facing Left

It is inexplicable, simple as that. Different mandrels, different dipping style, different atmospheres in different studios, different incantations chanted....

It has been ever thus as far as bead release is concerned, though.

Old 2009-11-01, 7:48pm

Alices is awesome. Beads come off with ease now. I was having my husband take my beads off the mandrels and now its a piece of cake! LOVE IT!
Sue

Old 2009-11-03, 6:12am

My favorite part about fusion is I seem to be able to add any kind of water (tap water!) & it doesn't matter, I've re-hydrated it from frozen for 2 years in storage, & it also doesn't matter if the mandrels are "just dipped & flame dried" or if they were dipped a year ago & left outside over the winter under the porch (seriously--I did that too), they work just the same ....I that! I hate "fussy"--I just want stuff that *works* & fusion does

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies