LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Old 2006-05-31, 10:11am
Copper Dragonfly Glass

Default Kronos ?

Does anyone have any tricks for working with this glass? The best results I have so far come when I used Kronos as a stringer on transparent striking yellow, but it isn't quite what I was looking for.

I would appreciate any helpful hints.

Thanks!
danelle
Old 2006-05-31, 1:55pm

I just got my 1/2 lb. last week and have only worked with it once... and i'm not getting what I want to get with it yet... but so far, it sure seems to take a lot of patience?!?! Noone's going to chime in with any secrets huh? Shari Barry, Maya Designs
Old 2006-05-31, 2:39pm
needs to light the torch.

I wish I knew the secret... so far the only bead I made with it kinda sucked LOL

I did have great luck with other DH glass using my Lynx and two concentrators.
When I tried the same type of beads on my Minor with one concentrator I didn't get the glass to really pop like I did on my Lynx...
Just food for thought...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-05-31, 2:43pm
aka Spawn Of Flame

The real secret is how to actually get your hands on some.

Look in this thread. Double Helix Glassworks posts on how to get it to strike.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
--
--
--

Last edited by rosemarie23; 2006-05-31 at 3:02pm.
Old 2006-05-31, 3:40pm
Student of DachZen

Go to http://www.doublehelixglassworks.com...Action=COMPANY

They have some good instructions for striking the Kronos. Basically, you form your bead, then heat it really well up close to the end of the torch - that gets it started. Then you flash it in and out of the heat a few times, getting it glowing, letting it settle, getting it glowing again, letting it settle, until you get the colors you want. The "letting it settle" part is great for judging if you "are there yet."

I've got a nice lentil focal I did this afternoon that I'll post later after it's out of the kiln.

P.S. I work on a Hot Head, so if I can do it, anyone can. Oh, and I have a pic of a couple of experimental bicones in my gallery under "Organic Focals."

Last edited by adovbs; 2006-05-31 at 3:42pm.
Old 2006-05-31, 5:50pm

I'm working on a bobcat with tanked oxy and propane... I'm guessing I just need more patience with the in-n-out stuff I hope to get some torch time in tomorrow. The beads that I got made with it were sent out with the rest of the collection for a show... I hope it gets a good response! Thank you all. I can't tell you how impressed I am with this site and how much I love it!!!! What a wonderful group of people Shari, Maya Designs
Old 2006-05-31, 6:24pm

I've had the most sucess with this:

1. make a base bead (I like Effetre uranium yellow) then
2. turn your flame to slightly reducing (middle candles are yellow and slightly elongated)
3. Take your double helix rod (Kronos or Olympia Rain) and melt in the slightly reducing flame and dot or run a stringer around the base bead. I can see it strike in the flame. Don't melt in the stringer or dot completely.
4. Turn your flame back to neutral/oxydizing and take the bead out of the flame hold it to the light - ooo and ahhh - take it back to the flame and melt in the stringer - take it out and hold it to the light - ooooo and ahhhhh - take it back into the flame - you should see it strike and turn colors while you're doing this.

I find the Olympia Rain a little harder to strike than the Kronos. But then you're asking about the Kronos aren't you? Smile! After some practice, I got some pretty cool looking beads - but I had a few duds before this - so don't be disheartened!
Attached Images

Old 2006-05-31, 7:54pm

Hi Cindy,
Thank you for the tut... I loved the oooh and ahhhh part I hope to try it tomorrow... I hope even more to actually post my first pics soon. I'm working up the courage Shari
Old 2006-05-31, 8:51pm
Student of DachZen

Ok, here is the lentil - two pics, one of each side. What you can't really see well here is the lovely irridescent look of the blue glass.

Anyway, once you get the hang of striking the glass, it's really, really easy. Like I said, I'm on a Hot Head, and it still works for me (unlike Raku)

Old 2006-06-01, 3:08am

Shari, you're welcome! Teresa's bead is where we can use the ooooo and ahhhhh after annealing!

Teresa - ooooooooo ahhhhhhhhhh!!!! Lovely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adovbs
Ok, here is the lentil - two pics, one of each side. What you can't really see well here is the lovely irridescent look of the blue glass.

Anyway, once you get the hang of striking the glass, it's really, really easy. Like I said, I'm on a Hot Head, and it still works for me (unlike Raku)

Old 2006-06-01, 6:42pm
Evil Genius in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by adovbs

*in my best Janice voice*

Oh. My. Gawd!

"Neighbors suck. Burn her house down and make beads out of her windows."--Shawnette
Old 2006-06-01, 6:57pm
Just Plain

JC's got a good thread here...
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=23424

Old 2006-06-01, 7:20pm
Student of DachZen

Wow, thanks everyone for the compliments on the beads! I can't wait till they get Kronos back in stock! Isn't it a great glass?

Old 2006-06-01, 7:21pm
Student of DachZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayne
Oh, yeah - JC's got the touch! Her stuff is gorgeous!

Old 2006-06-01, 11:08pm
Mama said

Teresa, that is one of the most beautiful beads I have ever seen!! And honey, I've seen a lot of beads!

~Michelle
Old 2006-06-02, 7:51am
Student of DachZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleValleyGlass
Teresa, that is one of the most beautiful beads I have ever seen!! And honey, I've seen a lot of beads!

~Michelle
wow, thanks, Michelle! I'm beaming over here, you've definitely made my day!

Old 2006-06-05, 12:30am
Mama said

You're welcome!!!

~Michelle
Old 2006-06-05, 6:26pm

Well I have no tips to share so far. But Here is my first try, pull them out of the kiln today . I made some more today. But I think, I took steps backwards.

Scott

ESTY
Old 2006-06-07, 4:18am

OOOOOOooooo!!! Very nice, Scott!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner Studios
Well I have no tips to share so far. But Here is my first try, pull them out of the kiln today . I made some more today. But I think, I took steps backwards.

Scott

Old 2006-06-07, 12:25pm
Student of DachZen

Quote:

Scott
Very nice!!! I love the "windows" on those, Scott!

Old 2006-06-07, 6:43pm
It's time to sparkle

I just wanted to pipe in that JC's suggestion of pulling the stringer in a reduction-like flame really did it for me. I tried it with the full rod and it works well that way too.
Great pieces, everyone!

Old 2006-06-08, 2:59am

Quote:

Scott

This is the first of this glass I have seen, I knew I couldn't afford to buy and so I have been avoiding seeing it. LOL
Those beads are lovely! I love the watery effect!
Old 2006-06-08, 7:24am
Aussie Jewellery Queen

what base glass is everyone using? I can't get it to do a damn thing for me.... hate to waste the stuff 'experimenting' ... especially as they're now sold out until at least August....

Shelley
Old 2006-06-08, 8:37am
Student of DachZen

I'm using plain vetrofond black on most of my stuff, Shelley.

Are you getting the Kronos good and glowing hot, letting it cool, then flashing it back into the back flame a few times, stopping when it's glowing but not super hot, then letting it cool again? That usually works for me.

Old 2006-06-08, 9:04am

Thanks everyone, I used silver plum. Talk about a pricie bead. I should have made soild gold beads it would have been cheaper LOL
Scott

ESTY

Last edited by Tanner Studios; 2006-06-08 at 9:32am.
Old 2006-06-08, 9:41am

Default Have two rods given to me but have a question.

Before I try and use my two rods I would like to know what is so different or special about this glass as the pictures do not show probably what it really looks like in person. The beads are lovely, but the glass hasn't excited me as yet. Peg M
Old 2006-06-08, 10:09am

The glass rods just look like Trans cobolt blue. But it works like raku. it can turn shades of blue to creams.
Scott

ESTY
Old 2006-06-08, 10:43am
Student of DachZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg Medill
Before I try and use my two rods I would like to know what is so different or special about this glass as the pictures do not show probably what it really looks like in person. The beads are lovely, but the glass hasn't excited me as yet. Peg M
I get a sort of irridescent deep royal blue, with shades of teal and purple shining through. It looks pearly - like abalone or paua shell in spots - it's a very cool color, I think. And a little goes a long way, at least the way most folks are using it.

However, if you find the glass still doesn't excite you after using it, I'm sure someone here will be thrilled to take it off your hands.

Oh, here's a pic of a vessel I made with some of the Kronos for accent - in the pic you can see the irridescence...

Old 2006-06-08, 4:39pm
Aussie Jewellery Queen

Sure did Teresa... got it all hot, let it cool a little and flashed back in & out .... NOTHING! .... Gosh, I can get raku to play but not this stuff! ARRGHH!
That vessel is amazing... is that just Kronos on black? I'd be thrilled if I could get it to do that.....!

Shelley
Old 2006-06-08, 6:19pm
Student of DachZen

Yup, it's just Kronos on vetrofond black.

Wow, I wish I could watch you work your Kronos, Shelley - maybe then I could help you figure out why it's not working for you. Hard to do much more from here.

Hmmmmm - have you tried it in a reduction flame at all? Maybe why I'm not having issues is it needs a bit of reduction to get started, and the HotHead is *all about reduction.*