LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2008-03-22, 7:00pm

Default What to do - no room in studio for vent!

We have lived in the same mid century (as in 1963) home for many years. My studio is not original to the house - but claimed from the overhang of the sorta second story when we enclosed the space. Two sides of the room are sliding glass doors. The opposite walls are sheet rock (my supplies) and a brick wall 2/3rds up to a window, where my workbench is located. The problem is (and I'm sure there are many more to come) is that the ceiling is is only about 7 feet. It makes for a very small space to box up all those fumes - even if I have both sets of doors open.

We have no attic, garage, shed or basement for me to use, and no other room in the house. I was at Home Depot today prowling for some sort of solution (other than working outside - not practical in New Orleans summers).

Does anybody know of, or have a suggestion about, a portable vent system? I read about the funnel system, could that possibly work for me?

Also, what would I be asking for as far as "suck power" (I'm sure there's a more technical name...) What department at Home Depot? I guess my a/c guy could do this? Would one of those smoke inhaler machines they used in bars work?

Please be patient with me...

Thanks in advance,
renee

Last edited by renee in nola; 2008-03-22 at 7:08pm. Reason: forgot a question
Old 2008-03-22, 9:41pm
Borovangelist

Why not put a hole through the wall? I didn't see anywhere there saying you were renting, so it's your house, go for it

Alternatively, could you run the ducting into another adjoining room or space where you could duct it outside?

I'm not positive, but I think the smoke suckers only run the air through a filter, so they wouldn't work in this case.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Old 2008-03-22, 9:43pm
Entropy increasing....

Do you have a window? I have my fan got to a dryer hose that is attached to a hole in a piece of plywood. It fits exactly into the window when it's open.
Old 2008-03-23, 8:39am

If I vent through the drywall wall it would go right into the next room, if I vent through the window it would be right by my front door! Our house is very weird...

Still pondering it - thanks for the suggestions though... decided to get our a/c guy out here to see if he can help.
Old 2008-03-23, 8:47am
Pyromaniac in training

You stated you were on the second floor. If this is the top floor what about a external vent mounted on the roof?
Old 2008-03-23, 9:19am
Gentleman of Leisure

IF room has that many problems, it may not be safe as a studio. You may be over looking the obvious, use different room.

The capacity to suck air out of a room or push air into a room is all the same, its CFM.... The resistance to air flow (in or out) is "static pressure'... As static pressure is reduces, flow (cfm) goes up....

Only solution to you may be to punch through a wall and then duct exhaust air up to roof or across another room and out.... It's all based on how dedicated you are on working glass and to what lengths you are willing to go to be safe.

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2008-03-23, 10:26pm

Unfortunately, there are no other room choices for me. I keep waiting for empty nest, but they keep coming back!

I must say Dale, you are so right about safty and I have been struggling with this for several days now. Wandering around aga last night before bed made me wake up with a solution this morning - (actually it was really thanks to your articles). I can use a funnel exhaust system,along the floor, around a corner and go through an exterior wall. No added electricity will be needed as there is an outlet right there. I can't tell you the valuable lessons I'm learning from these forums.

Thanks y'all!

renee
Old 2008-04-02, 5:43am
Mary Lockwood

Renee, be aware that the more turns in your vent ductwork and the longer the run of the ductwork, the more powerful your blower will need to be to compensate for all the 'drag' a long running, squirrelly duct will create.

~~Mary

Old 2008-04-06, 3:02am
First bead: 2007-04-28

I don't have ventilation either, it's not possible (rented flat, we're not to alter wall, ect) but I keep the window and a door open, so I that I get a draft though the room. That's the best I can do for now.

Ann