Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2011-10-23, 11:53am

Default Ventilation through ceiling?

My name is Kathy Love and I'm in Birmingham, AL. I took a great two day class a couple of months ago and just now getting around to setting up my studio. After hours of searching posts I thought it would be easiest to ask the experts. I'm setting up my studio in my double car garage which is part of our house. I have a great worktable/cabinet area. The issue however is there is no close window for ventilation. The garage has 10 foot ceilings. I have a door across the room I can use for fresh air. But here is my question. Can I put a straight line vent in the attic through ceilng pulling the "dirty" air into my attic? There is external ventilation fans in the attic to the outside. The counter tops are 24" deep and the cabinets / shelves are 14" deep. I'm thinking of leaving the shelves for glass storage and bringing the duct straight down from the ceiling in front of the shelves to be basically directly above my torch. I've think I've attached a picture, but not sure.
Before I totally mess up any knowledge sharing would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!

Last edited by Klove; 2011-10-23 at 12:02pm. Reason: Added Photo
Old 2011-10-23, 12:07pm
Salt Box Beads

You can make up any kind of ventilation system that is safe, works well and passes all city codes, safety regulations and neighborhood CC&Rs, and also okay wilth your homeowners insurance.

Most insurance underwriters will not allow you to have a studio in a garage let alone one that is attached to the house. I would research insurance first, then research ventilation and you can also go to this website and look through the posts there, it has lots of great info also.

Good Luck and welcome to LE and the world of lampworking and studio building woes.

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...ca2b2daa834d41

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2011-10-23 at 12:12pm.
Old 2011-10-23, 12:55pm

Thanks Lorraine. Great link. Can't wait to read through it.
Old 2011-10-23, 3:20pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Welcome to LE and the obsession...

IT is not recommended to direct vent into attic space. It contaminates attic space with heavy metal particles (used as glass colorants) and will contaminate complete attic and eventually will work it was in to all the living spaces (rooms) under attic...

Its highly recommended to direct vent outside so nature can dilute and work on elements and break them down naturally...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2011-10-23, 4:43pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

You could vent through the attic but pipe it all the way outside.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-10-23, 5:08pm

Thanks guys. I do have a window to the outside in the attic right above where I would be working. I should have thought of that. I definitely don't want the heavy metals settling in my attic or the house. The heating and air guy is coming Wed to set up my NG line so I'll have him take a look while he is here. I can't wait to get started.
Old 2011-10-23, 6:06pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Just be aware that most heating and AC guys don't have a clue as to the ventilation requirements for safe lamp working... Most just understand heating and cooling...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2011-10-24, 8:44am
Fire n Sand Glass Art

A mechanical contractor that does industrial/commercial heating and cooling is the guy who'll understand your ventilation needs.

~
~
~
~