Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2014-06-07, 10:57am

Default Setting up in a caravan

I have decided to build a studio in a caravan in my backyard. Right now, I have a set up at my boyfriend's house. But, this glass is so addictive, I want it at my own home.

Will be looking at a caravan next week. Set up will be a cricket torch on propane and an oxicon. Also thinking about (if I land this new job) a bigger annealing kiln. The plan is to take the caravan, which is about 7 by 15 feet, strip most of it out, and then make a workspace. Will get a ventilation hood to go through a window.

I was wondering if anybody has done this before. Also, wondering what I can do about firesafety. Blanket, water, extinguisher and smoke alarm are the obvious things, but any more thoughts? Also curious how far you would keep a distance between your torch and the wall/window. I now have a small kiln (beadcube) that I only use when I am at home, mostly do batch annealing now. Wondering how safe it is to keep a bigger one running overnight in the caravan.
Old 2014-06-07, 10:58am

Ah, just saw the thread on the mobile studio below. Will have a good read through that too.
Old 2014-06-24, 12:40pm

Default The caravan is now ready to be made into a studio

Today, the caravan has been lifted over three stories by a huge crane, to 'land' in my small backgarden. It was quite a spectacle.

Next steps: taking out the bed/seats, install a workbench, set up ventilation, etc. And I may think of a way to make it look cool on the outside.

Old 2014-06-24, 6:00pm
Slogan Challenged...

Cool! More pics, I love watching things get set up Glad everything is coming together for you.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2014-06-27, 1:55pm

A short video: How to get a caravan into your backyard....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uIRuzScTCs
Old 2014-07-13, 4:11am

Default Next steps

Spent quite a bit of time stripping the caravan. Gone are the seats/bed, table, curtains, fridge, cupboard, etc.

I have decided on the lay out with ventilation, getting plenty of air back in and the size and shape of the worktop.
Next step is getting the worktop firmly fixed, and then I can get all the other stuff sorted.

Old 2014-07-13, 6:24pm
shirts

Brilliant!! I wish that I would have built my first studio in a caravan... Though it would be chilly with the Canadian winters... I am living in Panama right now and just finished setting up a studio here and I tell you, it is SO much easier setting up a studio in a warmer climate where one doesn't have to worry about sub-zero temps!! I am very much looking forward to seeing the rest of your studio come together!!

Annie
Old 2014-07-14, 2:15am

I have found that it does take a bit of figuring stuff out, but it did seem the better option, the caravan versus a shed.
Electrics is already in place, there is a sink, there is cupboardspace, etc. Also important: I do not have to have a floor laid down, which I would have needed to get done for a new shed.
It can get cold here in the Netherlands, but nothing to worry about much. I am more concerned with the caravan getting too warm. I am now working on getting something to be able to open door and windows without letting the bugs or the cats in. Just this morning I ordered the worktop to be cut into it's final shape. Just now, it turns out my partner made a measuring error. Found out 10 minutes too late..... They just started cutting. I'm sure there will be more mistakes like this along the way. As lomg as they do not cause any safety hazards, I am quite relaxed about it. He himself felt very guilty, though.
My elbow rests will be 2 inches shorter than planned. I'll check tonight at my workspace at his place if I expect that to be a problem.
Old 2014-07-16, 5:23am

The workbench arrived just now! It is massive..... I love to have lots of workspace around me, so that is just as planned.

It is going to be a challenge to get it into the caravan. Small door......
Very pleased with it. Now, I have 7 sturdy legs to screw into the caravan floor first, and then screw this one on top.

Should really get on with day job (writing a boring policy proposal) working from home, but it is very tempting to get stuck in right now.

Old 2014-07-28, 2:06am

Started on the painting, and decorating.
Decided to go for happy colors!
Walls mostly white, floor very light grey, cupboards and some of the walls covered in bright patterns. Want to coat the door in blackboard paint.
I did the painting on saturday, and left the roof window slightly open for the paint to dry and get rid of the fumes. This morning, I woke up to a torrential rain..... Puddle on my newly painted floor. Fortunately, it was already dry, and no damage was done. Lesson learnt: before going to bed, check caravan windows....

Hope to install the work surface next weekend.
The order for the torch, ventilation system and oxycon has been placed, as well as a second set of tools and ofcourse some more glass are also in it's way.

Old 2014-08-05, 7:25pm
shirts

Oooh! This is getting exciting! Keep the photos coming - I'm super keen to see your caravan!
Annie
Old 2014-08-05, 9:55pm
Slogan Challenged...

I love those colors, it looks quite cheerful!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-08-08, 8:27pm
Chief Creative Goddess

More photos please! This is fun!!

Old 2014-08-12, 10:01am

Oh. I love watching your progress! Those are some of my favorite colors. Good luck!
Old 2014-08-21, 5:12pm

that looks like a pretty nice little mobile studio, I'll be watching your progress. Wasn't it expensive to hire the huge crane to get it in the backyard?
Old 2014-08-29, 2:01am

Progress is being made!
I have set up the workbench.

My ventilation system arrived as well. Actually bought it at a 'growshop'. They supply marihuana growers with their equipment. Turns out, these growers also need strong, affordable and quiet fans. Will be installing it soon, en then it is time to get my stuff in.

The crane was expensive, but not as expensive as getting a floor laid down for a shed, which is something I would have had to do otherwise.

Old 2014-08-29, 5:55pm
Slogan Challenged...

Love that view, great to have all that light! It's really starting to take shape! Does it have running water or a bathroom?

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-09-07, 11:38am

It looks like you're doing a great job. Nice thread, thanks for sharing!