No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-12-09, 10:53am
Melody of Glass

Default Gold medal ideas

The team from my hometown will be representing Canada at the Olympics in curling. They are coached by a friend and longtime coach who coached me in juniors. I want to make them a good luck charm to take. I'm thinking of a lentil with the maple leaf on one side and a gold medal on the other. I will do the leaf in copper so it turns red. I figured a circle of gold foil for the medal. Anyone have any better ideas for the medal? Maybe a twistie as the ribbon on it.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-12-09, 11:15am
Loving learning

Are you talking real gold? I'm not sure what you mean by foil, but some aren't going to survive the heat.
Maybe a goldstone stringer (or rod) circle/oval with the twistie ribbon inside it?

Need more leaves?
Old 2013-12-09, 6:08pm
sunscreen me baby

You can do gold foil the way you do silver foil, but it will be cracked looking. It's kind of an expensive way to go.
A cheaper alternative would be to use some silver glass that shimmers gold. Maybe Helios in a powder frit form. I wouldn't bother trying to create a circle, it sounds too hard. I think the whole lentil could be the medal. The gold coming through the glass would look cool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~

Old 2013-12-09, 6:14pm
Melody of Glass

I am good for leaves, Eileen. I found a tiny maple leaf punch and used it to punch some of the copper you sent me. Worked great for the bead I made last night.

Hmm. The cracked look is not what I am going for so that likely won't work. I like the idea of the whole lentil being the medal. I could put a leaf on one side and a curling rock on the other perhaps.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-12-09, 6:14pm
Melody of Glass

Maybe yellow glass with pixie dust on it?

Coming soon...

Old 2013-12-09, 6:20pm
sunscreen me baby

Oh snap, I'm not sure the reduction would show on the side that's against the glass and not able to be reduced, lol. Pixie dust might be the answer.

~

Old 2013-12-09, 6:53pm
Loving learning

Do a test & let us know. And pictures!
Old 2013-12-09, 7:39pm
Senior Moment

Why not use silver foil, and encase while the clear is still hot? Or, use silver foil and encase it in light amber or trans yellow?

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-12-09, 7:41pm
Melody of Glass

To just give it a shimmer, Alli? That might work too.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-12-09, 8:52pm
Senior Moment

I'm thinking build the bead, press it, decorate it, and last lay the foil and encase without pressing again to avoid the crackling. Not sure if it would crack anyway, but if not you've got a gold medal looking bead.

Old 2013-12-09, 11:37pm
Slogan Challenged...

Or you could "finish" it after, with gold paint, gilding, etc.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-12-09, 11:46pm
I speak Murrini!

Cali~

I was faced with a similar quest when I was trying to make little "coins" for a treasure/pirate themed set I made a while back, so I can sympathize with you! For what it's worth here's some tips from my trial-and-errors:

The gold will crackle as soon as the flame hits it (if you're encasing) but maybe if you're gentle, you can get it to work. I work on a Hot Head, so my heat was about as gentle as you can get! After two fails, I kind of went with your idea of lying the Gold Leaf on there, and it's pretty much the direction I ended up going. I found the Gold Leaf really should be burnished on a bit to make it stick, and once burnished it needs to go straight into the kiln! If you touch it with the flame, it can quickly burn away! The burnishing helps to adhere the Foil but also helps smooth out any lumps without having to waft it in the flame. I used a yellow/gold color for the base of the "coin" (I think it was Moretti Dk. Lemon Yellow or an Ochre, possibly), and once formed I heated the coin to near glowing and touched the foil to it. I burnished it and after a quick pass in the flame, stuck it in the kiln. It still crackled a little, but for my coin purposes, it worked out ok.

If that doesn't work out for you though, here's another idea: Do you have any Silver Foil? It crackles much less than gold, and if you put Lauscha clear on top of pure Silver, it turns gold! I tried this technique too.

In the picture below, you can see both of these techniques. The "donut" is a base of White which was rolled across a strip of Silver Foil and encased in Lauscha Clear. The "coin" has Gold Leaf surface burnished:

I hope you find a method that works for you and please let us know what you end up doing. It sounds like a wonderful and thoughtful venture, and I'm sure they'll be fantastic and much loved!

Hugs,
De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro

Last edited by theglasszone; 2013-12-11 at 9:16am. Reason: Correction - doh! LOL!!!
Old 2013-12-10, 4:04am
Melody of Glass

De, I had no idea Lausch clear turned silver foil gold. That might be the solution there! Loving that idea. And I already have silver foil. Thanks! Did you find the gold foil on the outside durable?

Kristin, same question - would it be durable?

Coming soon...

Old 2013-12-11, 9:19am
I speak Murrini!

I found once the surface applied Gold Leaf was burnished, it held up well. I would think, though, if it got a lot of skin/clothing contact, it might wear over time...

On the other hand, the Lauscha-encased Silver Foil would last forever!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2013-12-11, 4:28pm
Senior Moment

You may want to do a little experimenting Melody. On my HH every clear turns silver foil gold if I lay it on immediately, as opposed to waiting a second or 2, which why I suggested clear over silver. If you don't have the Lauscha, try some of your other clears first, maybe with a slightly reducing flame.

HTH
Alli