Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2007-04-05, 11:15am

Default Is EX Light yellow like warm yellow?

Like for putting over red to get pink and stuff like that.
thanks,
G.
Old 2007-04-05, 11:19am
ManBearPig

Sort of. Extra Light Yellow isn't as saturated as Warm Yellow. It's also more transparent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-04-05, 11:30am
Save the Numbats

Some people can do the pink-obtaining overlay with Warm Yellow (Doug Remschneider, for instance). Apparently it works better with real thick things like large mandrel beads.. I guess. Warm Yellow turns opaque for me a lot of the time. When it is transparent it's nice over red though. So, If you use it thin and cover it with a bunch of clear, yes.
When I work warm yellow, it's is so much more saturated than Ex Lt Yellow I can't get that effect with the techniques I'm using (blowing). I've tried mixing it down. That didn't really achieve a NS Yelow effect.

A year or two ago I asked Susan of GA why they don't release a light saturation silver like Yellow or Extra Lt yellow and she said their style was to play with striking inhibitors and nuclei, not saturation levels. Of course this isn't exactly the case with Silver Strike 3-8, so I'm hoping we can get a Warm Yellow .5 someday.
Old 2007-04-05, 11:39am

Warm yellow works ok for makeing pink for me but I have not tryed EX light yellow.generations has 2nd's of extra light yellow for $3.50 1/4LB so I want to get some if I can get pink with it.
Thanks,
more info would be great.
Thanks,
G.
Old 2007-04-05, 12:05pm
Save the Numbats

Oh, I see. I figured you'd tried XLY and not WY.

Well, yes, Extra Light Yellow is the awesomest. Seconds aren't though, but I guess it might be okay to test the glass.
Old 2007-04-05, 1:46pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juln View Post
Oh, I see. I figured you'd tried XLY and not WY.

Well, yes, Extra Light Yellow is the awesomest. Seconds aren't though, but I guess it might be okay to test the glass.
So you have tryed the 2nd's and they are not good?
Old 2007-04-05, 1:51pm

Seconds are a crap shoot. If you are looking for a specific result, then I wouldn't buy them. If you just want to play and be happy with what you get, then they are great. I use seconds for my play time a lot.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2007-04-05, 2:03pm
Serenity Now!

Seconds are just that: second-grade...they may or may not be okay, but you won't be able to re-produce any color effects when you go to buy your next batch of the same color - 'cause it won't be the same!

If you can find Odds, it'd be a lot better - they are still lower in price than "Firsts", and the color quality, etcetera are the same...The onlly thing "odd" about them is that their shapes might not be so uniform - not a big deal to work with 'em though.....

FYI: Pat over at Glasscraft usually has lots of odds...

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here: