Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-05-09, 3:26pm
beads....mmmm

Default Encasing CIM?

Hi!

I could swear I read that Messy colors do not like to be encased with clear glasses. I did a search and can't find the thread or post, so maybe I am imagining this. Can I safely encase CIM glasses?

Oh, and if anyone finds my memory, please return her. lol

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
::
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-05-09, 3:32pm
Disconnected

The only one I know for sure not to encase with any brand of clear is Celadon.

Old 2011-05-09, 3:41pm
Glass-aholic

there has been some back and fourth with cirrus and other colors of that nature. There was also a mention of annealing them at different temps to insure they were not going to break. Because of this, I think that 'CIM' as a whole was looped into the thought process.... It is not true however. MOST of the colors are great when encased. You just have to test the ones you are not sure about. If you search for the specific color it may be easier to uncover the answer. or look up per say "cirrus cracking issues" or something.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-05-09, 4:04pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

My solution (given to me by the other great glassworkers here on LE) is to core the bead in clear and then put a layer of whatever CIM color I'm using and proceed as normal. I like this method so much most of my beads have a clear core now. I never have cracking issues anymore with CIM or any other glass.

Old 2011-05-09, 4:09pm
Oinky Oink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flonche View Post
The only one I know for sure not to encase with any brand of clear is Celadon.
OH no.. I just did several in celedon with crystal clear encasing. Ooops

Christy
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. ~Oscar Wilde
Old 2011-05-09, 4:18pm

Eggplant does not like to be encased either.

Old 2011-05-09, 4:51pm
beads....mmmm

Thanks so much! I almost always start with a clear core, so that should be good. I'll do some more tests and see. I'm wanting to encase Ghee. I'll do a search for that.

Thanks again!

Old 2011-05-09, 5:26pm
Oinky Oink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
Eggplant does not like to be encased either.
Oh no.. eggplant too? What happens to them? Massive crack?
I almost wanna give up on CIM all together.

Christy
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. ~Oscar Wilde
Old 2011-05-09, 5:47pm
Life is change. Love it

i have never had a problem encasing any CIM colours. Including eggplant and celadon

Old 2011-05-09, 6:07pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Celadon encases just fine for me.

Old 2011-05-09, 6:43pm
Naysayer

Wow another? I'm just bored and hit 2 CIM cracking threads.

I use primarily CIM now, I've not had cracking issues when encasing.

Cirrus or otherwise. Cirrus gives some cool effects when used as an encasing glass. It and it's 'cousins' Halong, Peacock green do like to be worked hotter and I used to adjust my kiln but I do not anymore..maybe some do or not. Cirrus is pretty much my new clear lol! If you work fast it's a non scummy clear.

I do stay away from encasing 'hot colors' in general since effetre etc can crack when encased so I can't speak from experience with those, yellows and that.

Eggplant is an opal (opalino) isn't it? So I always heard/read not to encase those so I haven't.
Old 2011-05-09, 6:44pm
I like to melt things

Celadon and Eggplant both encase just fine for me. The one that I have trouble with is the newer version of Commando... but then I know that gemsinbloom has encased that one without any issues.

So, I believe that we all jump to conclusions about what problems with our beads are incompatibility and what problems are from some issue we ourselves caused during the construction of the bead. In some cases, where many people all have the same problems (like with the ASK colours, Diamond Clear, etc) it's clear that the glass is at fault, but I wonder about all of these isolated incidents and whether or not they are really the result of incompatibility.

-
-
Old 2011-05-09, 6:49pm
Rose colored glasses…√

I've encased Eggplant without problems. I've been unable to encase Peace with Aether.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2015-02-14, 3:30pm
Lover of Life

I'm just finding this page now. I have gotten some great tips on facebook, but I want to know as much as I can about what I can encase, because I'm loving thick encasement! I made a set, and all the ones with the Electric Avenue core cracked under encasement... that's obviously one that doesn't like it. I have several with Celadon and Lapis, both encased, and they are in the freezer to do a quicker test of their strength... I had never heard this about Celadon before, or the CiMs in general. I figured it was just the hot colors... oh boy...

"Your dreams are waiting for you to come true."
Old 2015-02-14, 4:00pm
Another band aid pleeeze

I've never had a problem encasing Lapis.
Old 2015-02-14, 4:58pm

My .smurfy cracked under Cim clear. No more of this for me!