Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2007-08-06, 11:39am
Obsessive Torch Disorder

Question Tuff Shed owners...I have a couple of questions for you!

My Tuff Shed will be installed next month (Sept. 13th). For those of you who have a Tuff Shed, here are my questions:

1) What did you put on as fireproof flooring?

2) Did you insulate and dry wall the walls or leave them as is?

Any other needs/concerns/things you have learned that I should know about/buy before I move in the lampwork "stuff"...?

ANY information/ideas/comments would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks SO much!
~Lynn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook:

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
Old 2007-08-08, 6:34am

Hi Lynn,
What is a Tuff Shed? Is there a web site that could help out?
Anyone out there have a picture to share come on folks...please!
Old 2007-08-08, 10:41am
Gentleman of Leisure

Believe TUFF sheds are a wood products shed made similar to home construction with studs and wood sheeting...

There is not any reason I can think if you want to insulate it and cover with sheet rock (gypsum board) that it can not be done. Only thing is you may need some vapor barrier (Tyvec) between outside wall and insulation... IF its assembled from preassembled panels this may be a problem. If it is "sheeted" on site (plywood panels) you can probably get crew to add moisture barrier for a little Corona or Bud Light....

For floor protection you may want to consider something like ceramic tile (large - inexpensive ) or concrete backer board s one brand name is "Hardiacker" (I think) .. Anyway its a cement product the comes in sheets for putting behind ceramic tile work and is available at big box construction supply stores...

This should get some creative thoughts going....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-08-08, 6:53pm
Obsessive Torch Disorder

Tuff Shed...gosh, I just assumed EVERYONE knew what a Tuff Shed was! Maybe that's why I wasn't getting any responses!!! Obviously they aren't in EVERY state....!

Tuff Sheds are really well-made, sturdy sheds that are really popular out here on the west coast...here is their link:

www.tuffshed.com

!Lynn

Facebook:

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
Old 2007-08-09, 10:31pm

I bought a tuff shed about 2/3 years ago and I absolutely love it and have influenced some friends to do the same thing.

I had an electrician wire the shed for the different kilns - one 220 volt circuit for my big kiln plus two 30 amp circuits for smaller kilns (I usually use one bead kiln - 30 amp but was trying to think ahead)! I also have each circuit with a ...umm can't remember what it is called - but it's a circuit breaker for when there is a problem - I use water a lot - grinders, lapidary saws etc - GFI?? I have had the circuit on the left side of the shed blow twice ... I have sockets every two feet (On the studs) so I am fully loaded - and when I run a heater in winter it flips lol.

Flooring ... well first the walls - no windows ... I have a 10 x 20 ... With windows in each narrow end and three large windows along one side (I am against a fence on the other) I also have skylights. It's a wonderfully light creative place - I spend a lot of time in here!

Walls - yes we insulated and sheetrocked all the walls - the studding is slightly wider than housing so we had to cut the insulation and piece it together - not fun - wear gloved and protective clothing while doing this- that stuff is mean!

Floor - There is a plywood floor over the metal base ... I have concrete board under linoleum (I foolishing chose the cheapest white lino flooring - next time I'd spend more and a different color) as a flooring I also used concrete board under stainless steel for my glass working area and have a tiled area under my large glass kiln.

Hope you enjoy it - it was a lot of work to get it together but I just love the space! I have a picture somewhere! Guess I'll have to upload it again (perhaps it's on WC???)

Sadie

Old 2007-08-10, 3:52am

You can also use blown insulation and think (from when my brother built his house) it isnt too much more than the other kind. And real quick to put in too.

RObyn
Old 2007-08-10, 11:39am

We insulated the walls with the roll insulation. Then put up door pannels for the walls. It is really cool. Next will be the tile for the floor. So it is torch proof. Then the ventilation hole in the wall will have a round frame for the duct work. The electricians will be coming this next month I hope the finish up. We put in alot of electric in there to be able to use what ever with out having a braker go. So I can use a kiln plus a torch and bead kiln with any thing I want. I went over board with two hundred amps. That is house hold equivalent. So you could get away with fifty or even less. I just wanted to be able to live out there if need be. It is going to be cool when DH gets the panneling finished. But then I will have the flooring done also. Light tan.

Rose Leslie
Old 2007-08-25, 3:21pm

I love my Tuff Shed. It only took them 2.5 hours to put it up.

After looking into tile, laminate, linoleum etc, I just ended up painting the floor with porch/floor paint. That way, when it gets dingy, I can just repaint it. The other options were a little costly and required a lot more work (by then I was ready to be done with it). I know it isn't fireproof, but neither is carpet really, or linoleum. I also have 2 fire extinguishers.

I did the finishing on the inside myself (insulate, drywall, tape, float, sand, and paint). Insulating will help keep it cooler in summer and warmer in winter.

Here it is before I moved in.

Good luck.

Lisa D.
Attached Images

Old 2007-08-30, 9:42am
On a good hair day.

Oh Lisa. It turned out really nice. It looks bigger than what you said. That's really imressive that you finished it ou yourself. Very nice!

Patricia

Old 2007-08-30, 10:30am
Sheryll

Hi Lisa, What size did you end up getting?
Old 2007-09-02, 7:12am
Catchen' the Sun

Really glad that I found this thread. I am looking into getting something quite similar. Not tuff shed brand but still about the same. Any suggestions on sizes? I am looking at 10 x 12. But have pleanty of room for any size I want.

SRA # K36 Catchen' the Sun Glass Art

Old 2007-09-02, 10:02am
Salt Box Beads

Hi, I just saw this post and wanted to say that here in Ca. it is not the amount of room you have for a shed but all of the laws governing the building of one including any homeowners associations rules or subdivision rules.

We have to be 15 feet away from side and back property lines and no buildings on the front property line. Then if we build any larger than a 10X12 we need a permit (not cheap) and then it has to be inspected. That would include any electrical, plumbing and of course..foundations etc. They always find something wrong and charge for more inspections etc.

REAL PAIN IN THE ARSEY so we usually stay with a 10X12. I hope you do not have all of these rules and regulations where you live.

Lorraine
Old 2007-09-02, 4:35pm
Catchen' the Sun

No rules or regs. which is the great thing about living in the country, as far from the county seat as possible. But close to the city. My neighbors won't say anything as they built a pool and fence without building permits and do not want them to see them. The county never comes near us.They just want their $$ every Feb.

SRA # K36 Catchen' the Sun Glass Art

Old 2007-09-02, 5:28pm

Mine is a 10 x 12 and luckily, since I didn't put in a slab (mounted on aluminum girders), I didn't have to get a permit. Don't know about the electrical though. All we did was run the two extra circuits through the back wall of the garage and to the shed. My neighbor across the street did the wiring for me. He is great!!! He is in the construction business so I trust him. He has helped us alot over the years.

I paid him with a dinner for three at Outback.

Lisa D.
Old 2007-10-08, 11:36am

I have a TuffShed and love it. (Hi Lisa!) Mine is 10 x 12 and I picked Lisa's brain for ideas. We live in a very restricted area and as long as the height was not over a certain amount, you were not encroaching on any easements, it was not on a slab, and it could not be seen from the front of the house, It matched the house, and you got approval - it was ok. I did my homework before I started. We used HardiPlank on the exterior, insulated the walls, sheetrocked the walls and ceiling, added a track light to the ceiling and lots of amps for more electricity than I will ever use.
If I had it to do over again, I would have put in a larger window on one side so I could have a larger AC. It gets really hot when I light the torch and have the kiln going but it is very hot in Texas. Winters are great because all I need is a little space heater and usually have to turn it off after I get going on the torch. I have 3 windows - 1 on each side and 1 on the front by the door. My torch area is on the back wall where the vent hood it attached. My work surface is a desk from IKEA that I added a sheet of stainless steel to the top. I love my desk. My floor is just cheap stick on tiles that look like wood. I have a couple of little burn marks on it but I keep water close by just for that purpose plus a fire extinguisher. Even when I dropped a molten bead, it just melted the vinyl and little. One thing that I was told was to always have your fire extinguisher by the door so you can get away from the torch and out the door before you try to use it and call the fire dept. I always keep my cell phone in my pocket when I am outside. My chair is on casters and I can push away in a hurry. My Propane is outside and I run the hose through the window when I am using it. Here is a bad photo, but you can see most of the layout.
Attached Images

Old 2018-08-05, 4:23am

v|`My suggestion is contacting the guys from garden shed ideas or Summerwood in case you're interested in this Canadian manufacturer.

Last edited by Pop Alexandra; 2018-10-25 at 12:11am.