LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2007-03-19, 6:24pm

Default Striped floral cane TUTORIAL

I received some graphite optic molds and I love them.

These new molds make floral cane a breeze.
Here is a quicky tutorial of how to do it!!
I must thank Nancy Faibisy for the quicky pictures she took for me. She stopped by to pick up some glass and I talked her into taking these picture.

To begin, I pick the colors I want to use. I use an opaque base with a transparent coating.

I heat the base color white and get a large blob ready to drop into the mold and get a good impression. I really like the graphite molds because you can keep dipping and re-dipping the glass into the graphite and it will not stick or get stuck….
Sometimes I will re-melt the glass and re-dip to get the perfect shape to work with.

This part is optional! It gives you more definition if you need it for petals. I take a dark color and put 2mm stringer stripes into the groves of the mold. I use a dark transparent or opaque.

I take a transparent and fill in the grove again with the transparent glass. Be careful not to over melt the pressed shape so you do not loose definition. I do not worry about covering the top of the petal area.

Now I go around again and cover all the tops of the petal parts.

Time to go around again and go back into the indented part and fill in the glass so that the shape has now become round.

Here is where a Loren Stump class comes in handy!!!! I highly recommend classes with him!!! They are worth every penny!

I do a murinni cap. I put clear on the top of the floral cane.

Now heat it and put your punty into the clear so that it is dead center and straight.

Burn off the original rod of glass.

Cap the area you just burned off with clear and apply a punty to the other end.

Now heat the cane evenly making sure to not loose control and loose your shape. Heat the mass and take it out of the flame to allow the heat to sink into the center. Now heat some more.

When it is all hot and ready to pull, go slowly at first and speed up as the glass hardens.

I usually run out of arm length so I am glad I am flat chested…..LOL DO NOT TRY THIS WITH BIG ………
I drop one end down and let it keep dropping until it gets to my feet. Then I hold the punty between my feet and pull some more…….
I wish I could claim I thought of this myself….but good old Loren did this once and I had to try it….

I hope you have fun creating floral cane with these wonderful new graphite molds designed by hillsidegardensartstudio and machined by Weaverind. Here is a link to them…

http://cgi.ebay.com/Optic-Mold-Graph...QQcmdZViewItem

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]

Last edited by Dasi; 2007-03-20 at 7:23am.
Old 2007-03-19, 6:48pm
In spite of it all!

Great tutorial Heather! Thanks for pointing out and mentioning my tools!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-03-20, 5:46am
Irish Eyes A Smiling

Great Tut, Heather! I make petal cane pretty much the same way....the only difference is that my initial mold is a quick and easy home made tool.....it's a base block of cherry that has holes drilled in a circle and 1/16 mandrels cut & bent outward as the groove guides. It's fashioned after the tools I've used with glass blowing.....I soak it in water before I use it just like with hot glass.

Old 2007-03-20, 6:08am

Kewl Tut Heather!

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2007-03-20, 6:13am

wHAT i LIKE MOST ABOUT THE GRAPHITE MOLDS IS THE PRICE....

Old 2007-03-20, 7:27am
make beads not war

Great tutorial Heather! I have to try that.
Old 2007-03-20, 8:55am
Mr Brutus RIP

Very cool, thanks for showing this!!!
Sue

Old 2007-03-20, 10:20am
Princess Odd . . . lot

Dag nabbit - they're all gone

Great tut by the way!
Old 2007-03-20, 11:38am
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritobsessed View Post
Dag nabbit - they're all gone

Great tut by the way!
There's plenty left here:

http://stores.ebay.com/WeaverInd_Opt...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Thanks for the tut, Heather!

Old 2007-03-20, 12:08pm

wonderful. I have been thinking about trying these. Thanks so much for the insipration and the links. I had no idea where to buy them.

great tutorial.

Old 2007-03-20, 12:51pm
Sheryll

Great Tutorial, Heather! Will have to add that to my ebay list.
Old 2007-03-20, 5:53pm
Metallic Flame Studios

Great tut Heather! I so admire your beads and your heart is generous as well!

I actually ordered one of the 8 petal molds Saturday or so, and am hoping it's here soon! Maybe I'll get to make some cane Thursday night! (have to work late 2night and 2morrow night, bummer...)

Kickin' it on a Knight, a Betta, a 'Cuda, and a SmithLittle with 3 Oxycons, Playing with Fire Since February 2004
Check out our new journey into Metal (yes, including tools) and glass...

Old 2007-03-21, 2:53am

Great tut. Can you show us something with one of the petals you made?
Thanks!

Old 2007-03-21, 3:50am
a controlled pyromaniac

fantastic tut!! I love the hint about using your feet to hold the punty!!

elise

Old 2007-03-25, 4:38pm

Great tut....thanks! Now, how do you make a flower petal with this? Do you slice off pieces? Or use it as stringer to make the flower?

(website in construction)
Old 2007-03-25, 5:43pm
make beads not war

Today I pulled cane using the mold but unfortunately ran out of time to use them! Didn't try the feet method but had a friend help me. Gonna hafta to play with the new cane next time.
Old 2007-03-26, 5:30am

I am on it today. I will get time to torch and make some petals with the cane and take a few pictures of the finished cane.

This past weekend was my sons Bar Mitzvah and we had 60 out of town guests plus hundreds of locals... Lots of parties and food. I am an idiot and did most of the cooking all week. I am glad I have l lots of friends who came to help me pull it all off. I am not the fancy caterer type....LOL.

Anyway off to the torch!!!

Old 2007-03-26, 6:37am

REALLY GREAT TUTORIAL!!! Thanks! I'm going to try the foot method, for pulling.

Warmly, Marie C
Old 2007-03-26, 9:26am
I'm not Barbie.

I am anxious to see how you use this cane too! Show pix please!!!! BTW-the foot method works great!!!!!!!
Old 2007-03-26, 9:32am
Gone Fishing!

great demo Heather! You insprired me and I went to their ebay site and bought some items.

Hugs.. Holly

Ebay Id: ArtglassbyHollyYoung
Etsy ID: ArtglassbyHollyYoung
Old 2007-03-27, 4:51pm
Being kind and artful

I am the wild and crazy photographer. Heather is an amazing lampworker. She showed me the cool molds and since I am not a lampworker YET (still in training), i wondered what they were for. She showed me!! i loved watching and seeing the product. Wait till you see how she does it from there. I love visiting with Heather, it is always a learning experience. Thanks, Heather I have yet another cast on my foot... see you later!!! sincerely, Nancy

href="
target="_blank">www.clingingvine.etsy.com
Old 2007-03-27, 5:05pm
Shine your bright side!

Fabulous tutorial.
And I love your jeans.

Website!
"When you discover your mission, you will feel its demand. It will fill you with enthusiasm and a burning desire to get to work on it." - W. Clement Stone
Old 2007-03-27, 6:01pm
Just me

Okay, I have silently drooled over Heather's gorgeous floral beads for a long time now. She does beautiful work.
Thank you so much for sharing your cane technique. This tutorial is awesome and now I have an optic mold on the way! I love making encased floral beads and this is right up my alley.
I've been checking back on this thread often to see the pics Heather has mentioned she'd share.
Where are the pics?!
Patiently waiting.

Old 2007-03-27, 8:58pm

So sorry....life keeps getting in the way!!

I have not gotten my photo booth set up yet.
Here is a bead with the cane on it. Side 1 and 2.

Old 2007-03-27, 9:23pm
Dangerous Woman

I just got an optic mold and can't wait to play with it! Thanks sooooooooo much for sharing!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2007-03-27, 9:31pm
all for the love of glass

m-mmm well worth the wait.. I love your florals Heather. I'm going to give this a try with the optic molds, thanks for the tutorial.

"Do not worry about your originality. You could not get rid of it even if you wanted to." -- Robert Henri.
Old 2007-03-28, 11:42am
Just me

Heather, I was just teasing about the pics, having a life is a good thing.
Maybe I should get one too and stop being so impatient. LOL!
Thanks a bunch for putting the tut together and sharing it with us.

Gorgeous bead as usual!

Old 2007-03-28, 12:42pm

Thank you for the compliments. I really appreciate it.

I took down my photo area to clean up for all the family that converged on my home this past weekend. Now I am trying to get my different work areas put back together. The fusing on the dining room. The photo area on the air hockey table. The Jewelry assembly...... well.... all over the house.
Has your glass studio taken over your homes too????

Old 2007-03-28, 1:52pm
Missing presumed fed

I met the guy (Leon) from Weaver Industries on Saturday, and he said since Heather's tutorial they're having a hard time keeping the optic molds in stock. (But keep ordering -- I'm sure they'll keep right on making them!)
Old 2007-03-28, 4:02pm
In spite of it all!

Wonderful bead Heather!!!

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey