Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-04-16, 9:42am
Definitely having fun

Default Pulling a centered point....

I would like some suggestions to help me get a centered point pulled from a marble like glass object.

Imagine a marble, now it will have a stem left on it (maybe 3/8"ish and pointed from being flame cut) that was the punty rod.
...and now I want to pull a point (maybe 1/8"ish) from the point exactly opposite that stem, and that point should be a 'perfect' point (equidistant in its taper and direction to the center axis)

This is an early attempt.

What kind of jig/holder/technique would best suit my idea here ?

I currently use a collapsible claw (with points, not loops) to hold the marble.

That device does not help me to center the stem, and I eyeball the spot I want to make the point. Although I get the point close, its needs to be as perfect as is possible.

More pictures maybe tonight after I get to sit down and make some more prototypes.

TIA everyone.
Old 2011-04-16, 11:35am

I would think 2 punties. You could try getting your first point pulled until it is almost where you want it, attach a 2nd punty and pull that point, detach the 2nd punty, put the piece in your grabbers and finish the 1st point. It may be easier using glass instead of a tool to find center.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-04-16, 12:47pm

I agree with the above, that is how I do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-04-16, 7:28pm
ManBearPig

Gravity will also help you get it centered. Once you heat the spot and stick the punty to it, hold it straight up and down with the punty up. Rotate and pull.

Old 2011-04-16, 9:03pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Gravity will also help you get it centered. Once you heat the spot and stick the punty to it, hold it straight up and down with the punty up. Rotate and pull.
ok so that will center on one side, any tips to get it perfectly center on axis on the other side? Rotating will of course help, however if your hands shake like mine it is sort of like pin the tail on the donkey
Old 2011-04-16, 9:42pm
ManBearPig

If you need one on both sides, then just heat it, rotate, and pull as you rotate. There isn't a trick to it. Just takes practice...

Old 2011-04-17, 9:59am

I was afraid you were going to say that, Ive been practicing for years. I can get it alot closer than I used to, but it still comes down to how much my hands shake at the moment of attachment. I don't usually get to the torch untill late in the day, after work and after the kids get to bed so i am sure that is a big part of the problem.
Old 2011-04-17, 10:19am
ManBearPig

So I have to ask...

What is the end use for these things you are making? There may be an easier way to accomplish what you are doing (maybe not, but worth investigating)...

Old 2011-04-18, 9:19am
Definitely having fun

I am making top like devices that spin, so a properly centered point is the 'point' of this project and decoration and design comes after that.

I have been using gravity, but mainly leaning heavily on my marble mold to produce a point beginning and keep it centered.

Thanks for the great information.
I will keep at it, and practice practice practice.
Old 2011-04-19, 3:16pm
Fire and Fluidity

When I make ornaments off the end of a tube, everything _has_ to stay centered. Same is true only more so when making spinning tops. Since I also have a problem with hand stability, I made this pivoting roller:

For ornaments, the tube goes on the roller and there is a punty on the end of the piece. For tops, the thicker rod goes on the roller, with a punty on the other side of the piece. When I roll it with my left hand, I can see if the piece is centered and if the punty is centered. I also use it when making perfume bottles with stoppers.

"It all depends on how you look at things" said the Churkendoose.

Last edited by fyrsmith; 2011-04-19 at 3:18pm.
Old 2011-04-19, 8:02pm
Definitely having fun

Very cool,

That looks allot like my jury rigged shop jigs. I like it.

About how big is that roller setup ?

Thanks for the pic and info, they are inspiring
Old 2011-04-20, 9:55am

Alaskens can always make what they need.Nice Tool.
Wish I was still up there.
G.