Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-11-07, 8:38pm
Noobie

My setup is in the basement, where there is no heat and I have to have a window open for ventilation...I put on layers, but my hands get so cold they start feeling stiff. Its only about 30 here right now..Im not going to like this winter.

Maplevalleyglass..you have a nice home btw, I just love those farmhouse looking type homes.
Old 2007-11-08, 2:31pm

Our last studio was a large garden shed. I used two different heat sources trying to warm it up enough to prevent thermal shock. Just didn't work.
We built new studios in the summer of 2006. My wife has her own glass studio, I have my own lamp working and metal working studio. I did the installation myself, radiant heat throughout. The entire shop costs us about $200 per month to heat during the winter. We maintain it at a nice toasty 61 degrees, it's really pretty comfortable. And no more thermal shock..

Jerry
Old 2007-11-08, 4:19pm

Try this heater ....

http://www.compactappliance.com/xq/J...duct/CK15E.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-12-10, 2:43pm
birdergirl ~o~

Michelle,
Sweet house~!!!
I warmed up my 6 x 9 studio today til it was all warm and toasty, hooked up and made exactly 2 beads before I was shivering so bad I couldn't work . MY 800 cfm fan sucked the heat right out in minutes.
This deeply depressses me.....cabin fever has never set in sooooo soon. I can't go all winter and not play with the glass....
I guess I will try a radiant heater and maybe vent in make up air ( where ? ) right under the outtake for the vent or between the torch and the vent pipe? (I have a pipe vent not a hood vent).
I was dressed warmly but really..... even the flame seemed cold.
I regret all those hot summer days I didnt torch!
I did a searh on parabolic space heaters and found the one Kevan has _ only $59.
http://www.heatershop.com/model_SUN1...ce_heater.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~

Last edited by cadia; 2007-12-10 at 2:48pm. Reason: add question
Old 2007-12-10, 4:11pm
novembersfyre everywhere

I accidentally found a way to keep warm in my cold basement. I recently decided I needed some better task lighting in my studio. We purchased a 500 watt (two 250 bulb) halogen work light on a stand for about $29.00. Each light can be turned on and off individually and they sit on a removable tripod that is adjustable.

I use one light. I am careful to keep it far enough back so that I don't run into it and I don't have any flammable materials near it. It produces a nice comfortable circle of heat that is just big enough to include me. My basement temperature is usually about 55 to 62 in the winter and feels really chilly. I would estimate that the light is giving me about an additional 10 degrees of localized heat. I love it! I can see and I'm warm.

I am very careful to turn the light off when I am not in the studio.

Old 2007-12-10, 4:48pm
In search of her path....

I really like the rolling oil filled electric heaters. They look like a lil rolling radiator....they work SOOO well! Better than anything else ive found really. The one I have has 2 wattage settings you can run it at 600 watt, 900 watt or put them both on for 1500 watts it also has a lil thermostat dial on it to. I will also agree that maybe adding straw bails around the base of the shed would help to. The ideas about the foam insulation is a good one as well. Definately want to try to insulate the ceiling to help keep heat in. Would it be possible to add a insulated loft to the shed to help push down the heat and reduce the space you need to heat? The straw is pretty inexpensive....you might be able to find some deals on the foam board insulation at the habitat stores or some thing similar.

Prints for sale in my
!

Last edited by IF-Designs; 2007-12-10 at 5:08pm.
Old 2007-12-10, 5:02pm
Burn baby, burn

Default Parabolic

I bought the fluffy socks, and I bought a parabolic heater - does the trick! I put the parabolic right behind me, and run it at medium.

For those of you who have real winters, isn't there a way you can take advantage of the heat you are losing in the air vent? Can you put up extra vent tubing around the room (perhaps will need extra fans?) so that instead of going straight out the air is circulating around the room before it exits? Will that make up any difference? Is there some kind of heat exchanger that can be set up?

Thanks for all the tips. Lisa
Old 2007-12-10, 7:38pm

Long johns top and bottom, wool socks, Carhartt Arctic Coverall - Quilt Lined, they are great with long zippers along the legs making them easy to get in and out of without having to remove ones boots. Carhartt vest, flannel shirt, hooded sweatshirt and sorrel boots and a beard for time to time. Sounds pretty bulky, but I feel very comfy in all that.

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2007-12-10, 7:40pm
sunscreen me baby

The beard, that's what I was missing!

~

Old 2007-12-10, 11:54pm
Addicted to Melting Glass

Wow, I'm feeling right at home with all of this. Sure, California is nothing compared to most other places, but sometimes I get so cold I just can't warm up after torching, not even in bed! But I agree with many of the suggestions...several layers, thermals, parabolic heater, and sometimes I put a wool blanket on my lap underneath my welder's apron.

My garage, er, studio is detached from the house, uninsulated, and totally exposed to the nasty Northern California coastal winds - brrr! It does make me wish I spent more time on the torch in the warmer months.

My wool hat is off to all of you in the real cold spots!

Old 2007-12-11, 12:32am

the beard is great, but if you shave, wow, can really feel how great that exhaust system works. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Murf

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2007-12-11, 4:40am
Frit frit and more frit!

I wear long Johns (well long Janes actually!), a close fitting, long sleeved tshirt, sweat pants, a tshirt, a fleece jumper, a padded builders body-warmer (wonderful investment!), a snood (from the 80's!), hubbys fleece hat, a thick pair of socks and either croc shoes, or crock wellies (the only wellies I've ever owned that fit my chunky legs and keep my feet warm too!). I occassionally pop a cardi or fleece jacket over the top if its really cold, and I always wear a suede apron at the torch too. I have been known to slip a hot water bottle or wheatbag down the front or back of my trousers too.....
Old 2007-12-11, 5:33am
phrit phreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleValleyGlass View Post
This will be my first winter in an unheated shed. It's already beyond chilly now. And I'm having problems with any beads that I squeeze...thermal shock. If I keep them round I'm fine. I know I have to adjust my thinking as far as how often the bead gets bathed in the flame when it's cold.

But what about me? lol

I've thought of putting in heating lamps where the lightbulbs are on the ceiling. It has high ceilings. I don't know if they make clear ones or only the red.

How do you stay warm?

~Michelle
Get in your car and drive down to the Hot Shops in Omaha and have a torching day w/ some bead buddies you just met that live in omaha and iowa. We torch where they blow glass..it's all toasty in thar all winter but sux in July! You can even bring your hot head ... Ed has brazing fuel I believe...I'd just have to dbl check. Next bead retreat is Feb I think.. <hint hint Nudge nudge>

Old 2007-12-11, 7:50am
birdergirl ~o~

LoriBird,
What kind of venting system Does the Hot Shops have that allow the room to stay a warm temp.?
Yesterday my bulk can of Propylene was almost too cold to work.
I just can't work all bundled up and uncomfortable on the verge of freezing!....I'm ordering a radiant heater today.
Any other suggestions on how to heat the incoming replacement air?
I'd like to hear more from anyone that has the replacement air coming in at the bench...Is this something that helps a lot? (i hope!)

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~

Last edited by cadia; 2007-12-11 at 8:01am. Reason: i hate my typos
Old 2007-12-11, 8:39am
Tinder Bloom Studio

Quote:
What kind of venting system Does the Hot Shops have that allow the room to stay a warm temp.?
They have big glass furnace, glory hole that throw off so much heat it would be difficult to make it cold with any vent system...I would imagine...

Old 2007-12-11, 9:38am
phrit phreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameFilly View Post
They have big glass furnace, glory hole that throw off so much heat it would be difficult to make it cold with any vent system...I would imagine...
right... 1 glory hole..2 furnaces. and yes, even ventilation and tall ceilings in an old warehouse type building. Toasty..yummm

Old 2007-12-11, 10:00am

I set whatever press i might use on top of my kiln, a Chili Pepper. It keeps them warm them I just move to use.
Old 2007-12-11, 7:27pm
Borovangelist

I'm in a 10x12 detached shed that I've put insulation in most of the walls. I'm in the process of putting insulation in the wind side of the roof as well. In addition to that I have my make up air ducted onto the bench, and I have a radiant heater I point at my legs. When the torch is on my hands are plenty toasty, but step behind the heater and brrr!

My chief complaint is that my water bath cup freezes.

|
|