Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2006-07-29, 12:07am

Hey Thanks Robin and Chris, I just saw your posts. Been gone so didn't catch it til tonight.
That was a real umph proclaimation there Robin.. LOL. Loved it and thank you for the wonderful compliment!! Yep, That bead made it into my wardrobe of jewelry for ME! Fantasia was actually the name of one of my mares that had a golden flaxen mane and tail like this.. sorta, and she reminded me of that. I swear, It looks like the mane and tail is blooming like a wild flower. Someone on Beads and Buttons said it looked like a seahorse with a fire flaming mane and tail.
I've had a blast with these twisties ever since. Only made two seahorses though. Oh, I mean sea dragons.. hehehe.

Don't know how we ever got along without the twisties.. LOL Thanks again Kimberly!!!
And thanks again to Robin and Chris!!
Old 2006-09-01, 3:03am

Wonderful! Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(website in construction)
Old 2006-09-15, 6:00pm

Thank you SO VERY VERY VERY much for this twistie tutorial, I've been struggling with twisties for quite some time. I was never able to make one longer than about 5 inches, and they turned to mush when applied to a bead. I've tried every method I could find on the internet and in books... today I tried your method and for the first time ever made and even 8 inch long twistie and when I used it on a bead it did not turn to mush... Thank you so much for sharing this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:

Last edited by CaptElaine; 2006-09-15 at 6:02pm.
Old 2006-09-16, 7:35pm

My son uses this technique and I notice my twisties now are actually looking pretty darn good.
I use a 3/32 mandrel uncoated on both sides. My son will take one rod of color and add another on top about 1/4 inch of rod. Then he'll do the same and add another color to the bunch. Then heat one side and in the middle of the three...stick the uncoated mandrel in. Then burn off the main rod that all the little one's are hanging on to...and stick another mandrel in the other side.
Melt it into a blob as your turning constantly. Keeps it from drooping.
The biggest thing I've learned is take it out of the flame but wait about 5-6 seconds..when it just starts to lose it's glow and then pull and twist in opposite ends. That way I never get my twisties too thin. Then when it's done we clip them and then whatever's still on mandrels can be reheated and repulled although those seem to be way too thin for me. I've been practicing all week....And it's pretty fun to finally get it right!
After the mandrel cools I usually just take a small masher and put pressure on the mandrel and the glass that's left on it usually just pops off clean as a whistle.
Thanks Kimberly..I want to try that cone way....and hope that helps with waste that I end up with

Old 2006-12-30, 1:10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird3172 View Post
I finally have a seahorse worth sharing...sorta....I have been making sea life beads and trying to come up with something other than just jellyfish then I remembered the seahorse tutorial.

He is kind of quirky and his head it too big, but I kind of think he is cute!
This has to be one of the cutest beads I have ever seen!!!!

Old 2007-04-21, 12:11pm

This is one of the best tuts.
Thanks Kimberly.
G.
Old 2007-05-09, 3:29am
Venus Nocturne

Oh my goodness, thank you for sharing. I'm a twisty-o-holic. I use them in my organic beads because I love how you can get beautiful reactions. I make so many twisties that I have a jar of them just to admire. Your tute is beautifully photographed and very easy to understand! I'm off to make more twisties! You're wonderful! *mwah*

Last edited by My Bloody Valentine; 2007-05-10 at 12:36am. Reason: added photograph
Old 2007-05-16, 7:33am

Kimberly thank you SO MUCH!! I've had a horrible time trying to make twisties and your tutorial worked for me You've no idea how thrilled I am - I made twisties that were over a foot this morning AND a wigwag that was 20 inches long!! (far from perfect but better than anything I'd done before) a big *HUG* for you!!
Old 2007-05-17, 10:25am
Glass my new Obsession

Mine still end up too thin I wait and pull and I either get hair like strands or a piece about an inch long before it gets to cold Guess I just need to PPP

Old 2007-05-20, 11:28am

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONEYBUNNY72_99 View Post
Mine still end up too thin I wait and pull and I either get hair like strands or a piece about an inch long before it gets to cold Guess I just need to PPP
When you get the right amount of heat in the gather just wave it in and out of the flame to keep the right amount of heat as you twist.
G.
Old 2007-05-20, 2:31pm
Absolutely loving it!!!!!

Default Thank you for sharing

I was all done working at my torch last night and came to look at show and tell, then I found this thread and had to print the instructions and run back outside to try it out. I love it. Thanks for sharing it is so wonderful when people share and we can all learn.

Merianne
Old 2007-05-25, 5:12am
The Andrea Half

Earrings with a Kimberly - inspired twistie (raku + intense black on an opal yellow base):

Old 2007-05-25, 1:14pm

I just learned this method from Sally Klopping who does lampwork on Maui! It works great and as soon as I leanr to take pics of my work I'll post some.
Old 2007-05-31, 2:54pm

Hi, I tried this for the first time and ended up with a very long thick twistie so I stopped and started again. It's hard for me to get the small darning needle size. PPP!
Even so the twisties were pretty, but once I used them on a lt. ivory base bead that's when I lost all the pretty color!

Does anyone know how to keep the EDP, purple and the copper green, green? It's an age old problem for me....sigh...

Sorry no pictures as I have not learned how to take them yet. I'm hoping I can at least scan some soon once I get better picture software.
I know these have so much potential, obviously! LOL!
Thanks so much, I'm not giving up!
Angela
Old 2007-05-31, 4:57pm

I don't know how I missed this tut thread. This has been bookmarked and I will definately try it this weekend. I'm pretty twisty challenged. If I get success, I'll post pix
Thank you Kimberely for taking the time to share one of your secrets. The pix are great!
Old 2007-05-31, 6:50pm

I'm in love! I put that twistie on pale sky blue, and heated it up hot, and it's so pretty (IMHO ). Then I put it on EDP (Gulp) and well, it worked and now I'm in love.
Thank you Kimberly!!!
I'm off to make another twistie. My mind is spinning with "What if I tried" ?possible color combo's for these twisties.
I've been wanting to tone down Effetre and this is such a wonderful way to do so! Yahoo!
Angela

Last edited by ziggys; 2007-05-31 at 9:14pm.
Old 2007-05-31, 9:13pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mincot View Post
Earrings with a Kimberly - inspired twistie (raku + intense black on an opal yellow base):

Oh! Those are so pretty! I wish I had made them!
Angela
Old 2007-05-31, 10:06pm
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
Credit for the technique should go to Andrea Guarino. She is the first person who showed me how to use a mandrel to pull twisties.
Corina showed it to me.

It's the best way to pull twisites if you ask me. It's so much easier to turn the mandrel in your fingers. I mean, we all are comfortable doing that anyway.
Old 2007-06-01, 12:53am
I'm a lilac!

LOlL yeah, I think she did give credit to you at one point! I remember that, about 2-3 years ago.

Old 2007-06-01, 12:59am
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
Funny, 'cause I showed it to her.
That's what someone told me. I guess we all know it now and lucky for us we do. Thanks for passing it down.lol
Old 2007-06-06, 7:10pm
Glass my new Obsession

Woohoo I got a good useable twistie todayOpal Yellow and Dark silver plum!I will post my bead tomorrow!
Tina

Old 2007-06-06, 11:27pm
Venus Nocturne

Not sure if anyone else has done this. I hit on the idea of cutting my thicker twisties up into millefiori type pieces. Instead of laying a stripe of twisty down. I stick a twisty round onto the base bead. Makes for an interesting pattern and gives a different look.

These beads were made from the twisties I posted earlier in this thread. The twisties dots have been twisted again, not left to melt in plain.

Last edited by My Bloody Valentine; 2007-06-06 at 11:33pm.
Old 2007-06-12, 6:17pm

Default Thank you!

Kimberly,

Thank you for sharing your twistie technique with us. I tried my hand at making a seahorse with the results and I think I did okay. It's a cute little guy (and I mean little - this bead is about 30 mm high and 12 mm wide, and about 7mm thick). Maybe I'll try it again sometime on a larger tab - but I had a great time playing.

Cheers,

FL
Old 2007-06-13, 9:12pm

I just love these twisties. It's all I really want to do! I made one with orange coral as the base, lemon yellow, mustard, and pea green. The green doesn't show but changes the orange color and makes it soft. I put it on a Striking Orange base bead that looks like candy.
I wish I could show you a picture! But it's pretty and would probably look good etched.
FL, I love your seahorse! The blue Eye! He is cute!
MBV, great idea about cutting them up for Millies. What a cool effect!
Angela
Old 2007-08-01, 10:53am

Kimberly,
I love your seahorses! Nice Tutorial with great pictures!
Thank you for sharing a secret! You make beautiful beads and your a sweetheart too.
Lora
Old 2007-12-11, 11:13am
No Attention,No Tools

Default Twisties

This is excellent. I "hated" and dreaded making twisties. I tried your tutorial at 11am. The 1st twistie I made was extremly long, I was laughing like a Mad Scientist that discover "LIFE" then the twist broke, and fell to the floor, with me screaming as if I was wounded.

I tried it the 2nd time, it came out just beautiful, and I like kinda think, it 18 inches long. The 3nd was only 12" and the, the 4th 15" long. I was so excited about my new found love of how to make a twistie.

Thanks for a wonderful tutorial.

Enjoy The Beauty In Life…….
Old 2007-12-11, 11:41am

Yup, it was like the sky opened up and I was suddenly enlightened.
Old 2007-12-11, 12:04pm
Most have those beadies

Kimberly,
Amazingly sweet of you to show us this technique. Thank you for sharing.

my
my

my
my

Old 2007-12-20, 9:58pm

I tried the seahorse but I fried the twistie making doing the dragging technique. But I made some pretty cool other beads with the twisties. I lost the definition on the stripes but they came out sort of raku-ish instead. Since I can never get raku to color on my hothead I was happy!

Janet
Old 2008-09-16, 2:18pm
Glass-aholic

BUMP for twistie exchange!!!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Tags
twisties