Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2008-05-12, 1:47pm
Disconnected

Default Thomson enamels prices

Can someone help me figure out why the Thompson enamel assortment Effetre compatible costs $40 at Frantz (46 colors)

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

and $26 at Arrow Springs? (42 colors)

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There must be something I'm missing

thank you in advance

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-05-12, 4:30pm

Thinking maybe Frantz has a full ounce while Arrowsprings has 1/2 ounce???? Maybe..sorry not much help, but the Frantz site does not say from what I can see, how much you get for each color.

Maybe email Frantz and ask what is the weight of each pack of color?
Old 2008-05-12, 4:36pm
Looking for my waistline

You can calculate the approximate weight of the color packs like this:
It says the packing weight is .93 lbs. 16 oz (1 lb) X .93 is 14.88 oz.
14.88 oz divided by 46 colors is only .32 or slightly less than 1/3rd of an ounce.
Old 2008-05-12, 5:17pm
Disconnected

Wow Char I'm impressed... I can't do maths, not even in metric, even less in this system.
So Arrow Springs' price is less for more?? their samples are 1/2 oz for each color...

Thank you all, I guess I'll order from AS, then.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-05-12, 5:54pm
Who me?

Sometimes the shipping weight that companies give include estimated shipping container and packing so that method may or may not work. You should ask Frantz and AS what is included in their assortments to be sure.
Old 2008-05-12, 6:27pm
Looking for my waistline

Quote:
Sometimes the shipping weight that companies give include estimated shipping container and packing so that method may or may not work. You should ask Frantz and AS what is included in their assortments to be sure.
1/3 an ounce is less than 1/2 ounce. If the packaging weight is included in the estimated shipping weight, that would mean there is even less than 1/3rd of an ounce per color.

Unless the shipping weight has been mistyped into the system, there's still going to be less enamel per color.

42 colors x 1/2 ounce is 21 ounces of color, which would be 1.31 lbs packing weight, and that's without the packaging.

Yup, I'm one of those freaks that carries a calculator to the grocery store...
Old 2008-05-13, 8:21am
Who me?

Quote:
1/3 an ounce is less than 1/2 ounce. If the packaging weight is included in the estimated shipping weight, that would mean there is even less than 1/3rd of an ounce per color.

Unless the shipping weight has been mistyped into the system, there's still going to be less enamel per color.

42 colors x 1/2 ounce is 21 ounces of color, which would be 1.31 lbs packing weight, and that's without the packaging.

Yup, I'm one of those freaks that carries a calculator to the grocery store...
Yeah, now that I look at it you are correct - I wasn't doing the math - just stating experience.
Old 2008-05-13, 8:46am
Looking for my waistline

I have the ounce/price conversion down pat. It's the only math I know. It's my grocery store math. Oh wait, I know checkbook math, too. Too bad they don't focus more on that kind of math in the high schools these days. One of my neices thought as long as she had checks in her checkbook, she still had money in the bank. That kid wasn't the brightest crayon in the box, though. Her mom should have got her out of the Miami ghetto a lot sooner than she did.
Old 2008-05-13, 9:57am

Wow that is quite a difference in price then! What gives? huh
Old 2008-05-17, 2:36pm

Hmmm, maybe AS is only the opaque colors and Frantz includes the transparents?
Old 2008-05-17, 3:01pm
Looking for my waistline

It probably has more to do with labor costs. If one company is buying prepackaged jars from Thompson and the other is having employees pack baggies from larger packs, that would create a need for different pricing.
Old 2008-05-17, 3:17pm

Default Mikey on TE Assortments

I decided to open up a box of TE Enamel Assorts and take a look for myself. The first and only box that I opened had 46 different bags and each bag weighed around .70 of an ounce.

We do not bag our own assortments from our of 1 pound bulk bags, we buy them already made by TE.

All I know for sure is each of our bags weighs more than 2/3rd of an ounce, is labeled and is in stock ready for sale.

Mikey

I just went to our webite and it says the packing weight is under a pound, well that is obviously wrong!

Frantz Art Glass Website:

The Torch Website:

Mike's phone: 800.839.6712 ext 206

Last edited by mikefrantz; 2008-05-17 at 4:59pm.
Old 2008-05-17, 4:37pm
Looking for my waistline

Cool, now you can correct the typo on the website.

46 colors x .70 oz = 32.2 oz., which is just over 2.125 lbs.

1.31 lbs is 61.2% of 2.125

$26 is 65% of $40, so there's not much of a difference in the price when you look at the math using the correct weight.
Old 2008-05-17, 5:01pm

Default And I thought....

And I thought I was mathimatical! Nice job.

mikey

The Torch Website:

Old 2008-05-17, 5:38pm
Looking for my waistline

Fanx...

I'm that crazy lady you see in the grocery store reading labels and calculating price per ounce on her handy-dandy pocket calculator. Don't you hate how long it takes me to get my darned shopping cart out of your way?
Old 2008-05-17, 8:25pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

LOL Chuckie - I do that too, but my grocery store has most of the prices broken down on the shelf tag for the item.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-05-17, 8:32pm
Looking for my waistline

Yeah, but if the store brand is more expensive per unit than some of the other similar items in a different sized container, the other items mysteriously have no price breakdowns. And if something is incredibly expensive, it seems to be missing it's price tag, too. How hard is it to stick a price tag on the stuff they unpack?
Old 2008-05-17, 8:38pm
Disconnected

Thank you all for your hard work! I bought my assortment through Bill and Donnelle (same stuff as Mikey's, I figure)

Old 2008-05-18, 12:48pm
I speak Murrini!

I've just purchase the Bearfoot tool (for enamel application - looks SWEET!) and of course, am finding myself asking (yet, again!) WHY DID I SELL MY THOMPSON ENAMEL SAMPLER? (Doh!!!!)

I'm going to be making a purchase - any feedback on how worthwhile the "sampler" is, in terms of how "far" these smaller amounts go? I work pretty small anyway, and maybe the sampler will make sense, especially if a little goes a long way, and lasts "long, long time"

DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-05-18, 1:56pm
Looking for my waistline

A 2 oz jar of Thompson Enamel is 1-7/8" in diameter and 1-7/8" tall including the lid. The enamels themselves from the bottom of the jar, up to fill level is 1-1/2" deep. It's really quite a bit of enamel.

So the Arrow Springs pack would be 25% of the amount in a full 2 oz jar and the Frantz pack would be 35% of a full jar.

.70 oz = 28.35 x .7 = 19.845 grams
28.35 grams per ounce x 2 oz = 56.7 grams
19.845 divided by 56.7 grams = 35%

Just in case anyone was wondering how I came up with those numbers...OK, I'll get my shopping cart out of the way of the milk now.
Old 2008-05-18, 2:01pm
I speak Murrini!

You're amazing, Char! Thanks so much!!!! I'm thinking, for my work parameters, a little will go a very long way! I'll chew on this for a while...I sure wish, though, that Frantz would set up their ordering to take PayPal!!!! I just dislike giving my CC info. (phone or otherwise!) And when there's a plus balance just sitting there....arrggghhh!!!! (Yes, Mikey, this plug's for YOU!!!!)

Thanks again!
DeAnne in CA

Old 2008-05-18, 2:31pm
HOt WArm COld = Howaco

Quote:
You're amazing, Char! Thanks so much!!!! I'm thinking, for my work parameters, a little will go a very long way! I'll chew on this for a while...I sure wish, though, that Frantz would set up their ordering to take PayPal!!!! I just dislike giving my CC info. (phone or otherwise!) And when there's a plus balance just sitting there....arrggghhh!!!! (Yes, Mikey, this plug's for YOU!!!!)

Thanks again!
DeAnne in CA
DeAnne, you can order a Paypal debit card. It works just like any credit card and you get 1% cash back when you use it as a credit card.

Old 2008-05-18, 2:40pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
DeAnne, you can order a Paypal debit card. It works just like any credit card and you get 1% cash back when you use it as a credit card.
Oh, thanks! This is good to know....

DeAnne in CA

Old 2008-05-18, 3:06pm

Quote:
Yeah, but if the store brand is more expensive per unit than some of the other similar items in a different sized container, the other items mysteriously have no price breakdowns. And if something is incredibly expensive, it seems to be missing it's price tag, too. How hard is it to stick a price tag on the stuff they unpack?
What really ticks me off is when the same item is priced in one size by ounce and in another size by portion and in another size by pound.

But I don't take my calculator with me, I spend too much time in the grocery store as it is. I just do the best I can in my head (and try to remember how much space I have to put the stuff in).
Old 2008-05-18, 6:45pm
Looking for my waistline

I try to only buy what's on my list. Saves lots of time to do it that way. But yeah, that's another way the get you. Easy enough to get around that though. Just divide the pound price by 16 and you've got the ounces. There are all kinds of tricks they use to try and get you to buy more than you prefer to spend. I hate when they rearrange everything once a week to try to keep you in the store longer. That's annoying, too.
Old 2008-05-18, 8:53pm

Quote:
I try to only buy what's on my list. Saves lots of time to do it that way. But yeah, that's another way the get you. Easy enough to get around that though. Just divide the pound price by 16 and you've got the ounces. There are all kinds of tricks they use to try and get you to buy more than you prefer to spend. I hate when they rearrange everything once a week to try to keep you in the store longer. That's annoying, too.
I totally hear you Char. I don't take a calculator but maybe I will now. I'm always trying to figure out the best price out of two or twenty similiar items and it takes me forever to do it my head (if I can do it at all.)

I tried to explain the unit tags to a woman in her twenties. When I mentioned using 16 to get the ounce price, she said she didn't know what ounces were. Her tone was like "and why should I need to know anyway?" Eeek! Made me a little worried about the younger generation.

Old 2008-05-18, 8:58pm

Quote:
I've just purchase the Bearfoot tool (for enamel application - looks SWEET!) and of course, am finding myself asking (yet, again!) WHY DID I SELL MY THOMPSON ENAMEL SAMPLER? (Doh!!!!)

I'm going to be making a purchase - any feedback on how worthwhile the "sampler" is, in terms of how "far" these smaller amounts go? I work pretty small anyway, and maybe the sampler will make sense, especially if a little goes a long way, and lasts "long, long time"

DeAnne in CA
DeAnne, I bought the sampler and I'm glad I started with that. It goes a long way in my mind. And once I know for sure what colors I just love and have to have more of, and others that I don't care for, (and there are some of those for sure), I can re-order.
I know someone who bought larger bags of 4 colors and I think they will last her forever.
FWIW,

Old 2008-05-18, 8:59pm
Looking for my waistline

I have a niece, God help her, who bounced a bunch of checks at the bank when she got her first account. When asked how she managed to do that, she told her mother "Well, I still had checks in my checkbook, so I thought I still had money in the bank." It left me speechless...and that rarely happens!
Old 2008-05-18, 9:34pm

Quote:
I have a niece, God help her, who bounced a bunch of checks at the bank when she got her first account. When asked how she managed to do that, she told her mother "Well, I still had checks in my checkbook, so I thought I still had money in the bank." It left me speechless...and that rarely happens!
Giggle!

Old 2008-05-19, 3:29pm

Default weight

Well come on Monday I pulled 6 boxes of TE assortments, 5 weighed at 2 pound or more and one weighed at 1.35 pounds. When they fill the bags, I guess they eyeball it. I have put in a call to TE to see what it is supposed to weigh. I guess as a sampler they may not care how much it weighs as much as putting every color into the assortment.

It would seem not practical to have somebody weigh each bag, so there you go.

Mikey

The Torch Website: