No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-03-31, 8:15pm
Catnip Pusher

Default Experimental Beads

What percentage of your experimental beads ever see the light of day? I get the feeling that an awful lot of mine are utter rubbish, and that I so rarely hit on anything worth doing again.

Aimee
Old 2010-03-31, 9:07pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

I think only around 1/4 to 1/3 of what I'm testing is either worth repeating on a bigger scale (as sets) or fall in the category "mmm, I could be onto something ... let's see where this leads".

And yes, there's an awful lot of bead poop and huh? and WTF? beads coming out of my kiln.

Etsy Vintage shop
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Webpage ->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-03-31, 9:17pm
passionate about pets

i think most like 80% is experimental beads.....lol...i still consider myself a newbie....once in a while i come out with a nice bead and try to re-create it....i find myself doing more focal beads than bead sets....but i get board doing the same thing over and over.

*StOrM*

Nortel Minor- Natural gas & Oxycon

Old 2010-03-31, 9:19pm

Any bead that is not actually damaged or cracked goes into my bead bowl on my market stall.

I sell them for $9 on a cord.

Even the one's I hate or think are just not all that special.

It surprises me how often people pick them rather than the one's I know/think are better.

People just love sorting through them to find the one they like.
Old 2010-03-31, 9:33pm
Formerly Kellyhorton

are you kidding, 99.9 percent of mine are crap, but dont look too awful in jewelry. I am getting a little better though, 12 hours a day at the torch is pretty heartbreaking for a full day of shitty beads...keeps me out of trouble though

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2010-03-31, 9:56pm
working to pay for glass

now i don't feel like so bad i only like maybe 2 out of 10
Old 2010-03-31, 10:51pm
Catnip Pusher

Hahaha! I like that Judith - "WTF beads"! I can definitely use that. Yeah, some days I can really churn out the cr@p...

Aimee
Old 2010-04-01, 3:45am
sunscreen me baby

Oh I have a lot. You should see some of my murrini experiments I keep them in a bowl until it's full and send them off to Beads of Courage.

~

Old 2010-04-01, 5:30am
Life is change. Love it

I do my experimentals a little differently now. Instead of making a whole set of crap beads I make a few experimentals at the start of the sessions and out them in the fibre blanket to cool. After about 30 minutes I take them out and see which ones are worth making into sets. The experimentals are batch annealed the next day and I haven't lost one yet. The non-repeatables go in my bead bowl and are sold at shows and studio tours for $25.00 per teeny bag. They pretty much all sell

Old 2010-04-01, 5:33am
sunscreen me baby

I'm liking the idea of an experimentals bowl.

~

Old 2010-04-01, 5:49am

My GD likes to take my bad beads and throw them in the living room. Then her mom will pick them up and tell her not to do that again. The process then repeats itself. Quite funny and worth seeing the bad ones come out of the kiln-better than worrying that it was wasted work!
Old 2010-04-01, 6:02am

I gather up the experimentals and send them to BoC. The kids often like beads that we see as completely wonky.

Robert
Old 2010-04-01, 7:12am
one day at a time

My beads are pretty simple in design and colors so it's hard to make them look bad, but I'll have you know that when I get the time to start really doing something different, like for example, here's a short list:

Focals in rounds, tabs, barrels, tubes, pressed and non-pressed

Encased anything, like florals, stripes, triangles, poked bubbles

Beads with raised decoration, stringer, dots, petals, etc..etc..

Pressed beads! (hey, I do have presses collecting dust here)

I'm sure I will have plenty of crystallized cat turds to show...(wasn't that one of Karin's gems??)

No seriously, I do make some bad beads that don't see the outside world. Like diarrhea colored Multicolored Dark, Chalcedony, and other gross experiments. Those glass colors that seem to love almost everyone else don't love me.
Old 2010-04-01, 7:12am
Katherine

I use my "experimental" beads (of which I have lots and lots) as a partial thank you to the neighbor kids when they help me in my garden. The kids just love to get "pretty stones" so they are always asking me if I need help in the garden. What a great deal for me and my inflexible back!

But I also really like Robert's way of sending them to BoC what a nice thing to do.

Old 2010-04-01, 7:20am
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
Oh I have a lot. You should see some of my murrini experiments
I keep trying to spread my wings with all the multi-colored murrini that I purchased from Renee, and I've yet to fail at making a totally color combatability fugly.

I have a heap o' experimental uglies trying to come up with good silver glass combos for the SE6 exchange. HEAP. OH.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2010-04-01, 8:19am
Glass Gaga

80% of mine are rejects too. Once in a while I'll go through the bead bowl and find experiments worth trying again.

Minor with an M10 oxycon
Flamin' when not beachin'
Old 2010-04-01, 8:27am

I hear you Aimee on having alot of off days lately. I have not had a nice looking SC bead yet. They are all overstriking even when they looked so good going in the kiln. However my element in my BeeHive kiln was hanging out from UPS throwing it around and probably did alot of the damage. It's dishearting to say the least.
Old 2010-04-01, 9:29am
Torching since 2004

I am rather anal about it and I will do a test bead at the start of each session and make notes on color/method etc and then pop in the kiln and if the bead is worth repeating then I will do so. The rest of my session is spent on beads that I did the day/week before and replicate if I like the way they look.

All of my experiments that are cr@p go to BoC after my bead bowl is full which is about every 6 months or so.

Old 2010-04-01, 10:45am

Michele, I give to BOC but never thought about all the odds laying around. Do you just put them in a box with bubble wrap?
Old 2010-04-01, 11:00am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Michele, I give to BOC but never thought about all the odds laying around. Do you just put them in a box with bubble wrap?
I didn't even know they took "regular" beads. I thought it was just the butterflies and hearts. I'd be happy to send them my collection, just need an addy.

Old 2010-04-01, 11:02am
sunscreen me baby

How to donate to BOC

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152032

~

Old 2010-04-01, 11:04am
Storm Queen

"Please do not use exposed reduction glass or exposed metallic surfaces."

That may pretty much leave me out.

Old 2010-04-01, 11:05am
Lampworkaholic!

I make more keepers than tossers, which isn't to say they all sell, let's say my bead making to bead selling ratio is on the high side.

If they crack, scorch or turn to mud, they go into the lake at the end of our street.

It they are technically OK, no sharp ends, but just don't make the cut for my trays, they go in the BOC bowl (along with the beads I make intentionally for BOC).

I love this idea:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
... The non-repeatables go in my bead bowl and are sold at shows and studio tours for $25.00 per teeny bag. They pretty much all sell
So you fill a bowl and put out some organza bags and say $25 for all that fit?

I'd love to move some of my inventory that way. If I've had it for a year, it's time for a new home.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-04-01, 12:09pm

OOPS!! I had no idea about not using exposed reduction glass or exposed metallic surfaces!! I wonder why??!! I have to eliminate a bunch I was going to donate.
Mary T.

Old 2010-04-01, 8:35pm

Oh just send them and let them separate if they don't want to use them.
Old 2010-04-01, 9:37pm
Life is change. Love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
I make more keepers than tossers, which isn't to say they all sell, let's say my bead making to bead selling ratio is on the high side.

If they crack, scorch or turn to mud, they go into the lake at the end of our street.

It they are technically OK, no sharp ends, but just don't make the cut for my trays, they go in the BOC bowl (along with the beads I make intentionally for BOC).

I love this idea:

So you fill a bowl and put out some organza bags and say $25 for all that fit?

I'd love to move some of my inventory that way. If I've had it for a year, it's time for a new home.

Yes, and it's pretty funny watching people stuff those little bags!

Old 2010-04-01, 9:39pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
Yes, and it's pretty funny watching people stuff those little bags!
What size bag? 3x4?

I make honking big beads so the "experimentals" tend to be on the large size. The smaller bags would hold maybe 1 bead. Lol!

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-04-02, 2:34am

Hey Judith! The is my signature bead line! It was happening so frequently that I just went with it

Duane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus Beads View Post
I think only around 1/4 to 1/3 of what I'm testing is either worth repeating on a bigger scale (as sets) or fall in the category "mmm, I could be onto something ... let's see where this leads".

And yes, there's an awful lot of bead poop and huh? and WTF? beads coming out of my kiln.

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2010-04-02, 3:09am
BeadsonCypress

If mine are remotely usable, I put them in a "Free for Kids" tray...and I keep some thin ribbons and make them a quickie necklace......also gets the parents to look at my stuff while the sort through the beads!

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2010-04-02, 6:53am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadsoncypress View Post
If mine are remotely usable, I put them in a "Free for Kids" tray...and I keep some thin ribbons and make them a quickie necklace......also gets the parents to look at my stuff while the sort through the beads!
Another cool idea!