No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2010-10-28, 2:28pm
Wonder-wench

Default Garage Studio done!

I would like to thank all the others before me who have generously posted safety information, their studio pictures and great studio set up ideas. I finally got everything together for my very own, newbie garage studio. I probably went a little overkill for a my first foray into lampworking, but that's just how I roll

The workstation is actually an old kitchen counter we got from a remodeler on Freecycle, it's got a ceramic tile top. I cut up the middle section of cabinets to provide a kickspace underneath. It's a good height for standing or sitting.

The ventilation hood is kludged together from a old kitchen hood (thanks to Urban Ore in Berkeley) and a 1000 cfm exterior downdraft blower. A friend made astainless steel back and sides for the hood that comes down to the countertop (added after this picture). Next step is to plumb the propane through the wall.

A lovely GTT Lynx torch, Paragon SC2 kiln, 15 slpm OxyCon and woo hoo, I'm torching baby!

and finally, this hand painted new door.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-10-28, 2:35pm
Somewhat out there!

Looks great. Your gonna have fun.
Old 2010-10-28, 2:57pm
A True Woofer

You have a very cute propane cylinder, but you should try and find a way for it to be outside. Much safer that way.

I also like the door! You'll have lots of fun making beads in your new space.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-11-06, 10:53pm
Salt Box Beads

Hi and Welcome. You are just down the road from me...LOL

Very nice set up and looks like you will be very safe and comfortable once you get the plumbing done for the propane.
Old 2010-11-07, 2:48am
Cherine Perrin Glass

Looks like a cool setup Lizzie!

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2010-11-07, 7:56am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Very nice setup. If you are right handed I would suggest putting the kiln on the other side. It's very easy to inadvertently reach across to put a piece into the kiln and get caught in the flame.
Old 2010-11-07, 8:06am
Disconnected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
Very nice setup. If you are right handed I would suggest putting the kiln on the other side. It's very easy to inadvertently reach across to put a piece into the kiln and get caught in the flame.
Actually I'm right handed and I also have my kiln on the left side of my bench; you still have to reach over with the other hand to open the door so I don't think it makes a difference, in my humble opinion and experience

Old 2010-11-07, 8:41am
I'm kinda biz-EE

It's beautiful Lizzie, I esp. love the hand painted door!

Old 2010-11-08, 1:27pm
Wonder-wench

Default thanks

thanks for all the nice comments.
Even though I'm right handed I put the kiln on that side because the big door opens out to the left, so it made sense to me to be able to use my left hand to open the door outward to put the hot glass into the opening without having to reach around the door.
I'm pretty careful (so far) about the torch flame, and more likely to burn myself on the other hot stuff (have already grabbed hot mandrels more than once). My brain just doesn't register "HOT" as well if it's not actually on fire or glowing red.

Old 2010-11-18, 9:36pm
dances with ideas...

Consider standing up and walking over to put glass into the kiln? I'm pretty careful too, and I made it for 10 or 12 years without a serious burn, by which I mean a trip to urgent care. I still don't know what caused me to lose focus but I got lucky, with no lasting damage.

Another tip that I was given when I was just starting: always put glass rods, etc, down with the hot end away from you. I think it's a very good habit to have.

So anyway--have a ton of fun! And take the safety issues to heart!!
It will be fun to see your work!