LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-06-03, 6:59pm
Dix Harrison

Default How "color wide" is your glass stash?

Have you found that the diversity of colors in your stash has increased with experience and over time?

Or, do you tend to rely upon a limited number of reliable (and/or favorite) colors and buy those canes in quantity?

Just wondering about what statistical correlation there might be between the number of years someone has been a lampworker and the total number of cane colors in their stash.

My stash continues to grow. I just can't stop buying. It's pretty sad. I keep discovering new colors, ordering, and putting them in my storage slots--only to find I am running out of room--again! Someone, please tell me this is normal behavior...!
Old 2012-06-03, 7:01pm
Loving learning

Every time I order I have to buy more PVC pipe, then find a place to put it. I haven't even tried every color I have, but still see more I want to buy!
Old 2012-06-03, 7:09pm
I like to melt things

When I first started lampworking, I was in awe of the number of available colours and had a pretty serious buying habit... I wanted to try anything and everything. however, after four years that has slowed down a lot. I mainly now buy quantity of colours I already know I like, and introduce new colours into my 'core' palette at a much slower rate.

I often wish I hadn't bought so much glass or so many different colors. I currently have more than 300 colours of COE 104 glass, probably weighing about 250 pounds -- it's going to take me decades to melt it all. And I still keep buying glass when I run out of my 'staple' colors so each month the pile is only very slightly smaller.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Old 2012-06-03, 7:45pm
Mr Brutus RIP

when I first started I was buying all I could see, especially in the garage. Now I so much odd ball stuff..... after 6 years I find I buy my regular stuff and then occasionally try a new CIM color. I just LOVE Cim colors!
sue

Old 2012-06-03, 11:33pm
Happy Inner Dragon

After 18 months, I'm still in the 'accumulation' phase
135 different colours, approximately. And counting..

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2012-06-04, 2:09am
visit my etsy!

Don't you find that the glass rods themselves are sometimes so lovely, it seems a shame to melt them? I have a 'vase of glass' instead of flowers. They look so lovely together.

Kirsty

Old 2012-06-04, 5:17am

I've got around 400 if you count 104, BE and Boro. I use a lot of them for mixing specialized color for murrinis, so the blended rods add even more. Certified glass/tool junkie.

Robert
Old 2012-06-04, 7:29am
Jacqueline Parkes

I can proudly say I am no longer a glass ho. I have not purchased any new glass this year. I am more focussed on fine tuning my skills. I too will probably never get through my glass stash. It is nice to usually have the glass you need for a particular tutorial though. I do need to replenish some staples stat. I have no dark ivory, ack! I may glue some shorts soon.

Old 2012-06-04, 7:44am
I'm a lilac!

I have I don't know how many hundreds of colors and four different COEs. The sad thing is that I still have to buy glass, because I go through my favorites so rapidly, while other colors just sit and sit.

I should make a challenge for myself, pick out a dozen colors I haven't touched in years, and make myself use them and nothing else for a month.

Old 2012-06-04, 7:49am

I have a core range of olors that I use and find that some colors I bought when I first started 7 years ago are still there waiting to be used.
Old 2012-06-04, 7:57am

The first year of this obsession, I bought as much as I could afford - anything I could find that was on sale. Then at the end of the second year I bought a massive (for me) lot because I was able to actually go to Olympic Color Rods in Seattle and see the glass in person. I am still using that massive buy and really only buying about 5 colors over and over that I just love - oh, plus black, white and clear.

I think I'm in about my 4th year.
Old 2012-06-04, 9:22am
Queen Tut ;)

I have a variety of over 100 colors, and it's soooo hard to not buy "new" colors, especially the CiM colors. It's hard to think of mixing my own colors when so many are already made.

Old 2012-06-04, 9:52am
Live and Let Live

Ducking behind the couch as I say it appears I have about 700 different soft glass colors. Some of those are single rods, however, when I decided to try Bullseye and Spectrum colors. And all odd lots of CIM regulars counted as individual colors too.

Many I've never melted, either. Ya think it could be too many to get to?!

Old 2012-06-04, 10:35am
BeadsonCypress

still adding.....don't even want to count.

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2012-06-04, 3:38pm
too many rods in the fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoelker View Post
I have a core range of olors that I use and find that some colors I bought when I first started 7 years ago are still there waiting to be used.
This is me, pretty much. I started 5 years ago, and was buying anything and everything 104 COE. Now, I mostly buy my standby colors in 3-5 lbs at a time, and the occasional new color that catches my eye (usually a CIM color).

I do have a question for you folks that have multiple COE's, though. Do you all clean off your bench each time after you work, to avoid mixing the COE's? I just can't see myself ever cleaning off my entire bench each time - not gonna happen!! So short of labeling every single rod (and that's probably NOT gonna happen either!), how on earth do you play safely with multiple COE's??

Old 2012-06-04, 3:53pm
Loving learning

I don't (yet) have much in other COEs, but the few times I've worked in something else, I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I moved most of the rods to a jar, then got some wide foil & covered my area so I would be sure not to mix anything.
Old 2012-06-04, 4:05pm
Uh-oh means it's too late

Ummmmm I will go and hide now cuz I am HUGE glass ho the problem is I have been concentrating on using up what I have in the way of colors since my Husband finally put his foot down and told me enough was enough- he wanted to see me make a profit with what I had and then when the stash went down I was free to buy more.... He is totally a sweetheart because I have colors I bought thinking they would be my favorites and now I have TONS of glass I have never used- funny enough most of it is green and purple

Old 2012-06-04, 5:49pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDoorBeads View Post
Ummmmm I will go and hide now cuz I am HUGE glass ho the problem is I have been concentrating on using up what I have in the way of colors since my Husband finally put his foot down and told me enough was enough- he wanted to see me make a profit with what I had and then when the stash went down I was free to buy more.... He is totally a sweetheart because I have colors I bought thinking they would be my favorites and now I have TONS of glass I have never used- funny enough most of it is green and purple

Our Hubbies must be related...Giggles. I am in the same boat with you, slowly paddling past the glass sales..
Old 2012-06-04, 6:24pm
Lampworkaholic!

All. of. them.

I keep my glass CoEs separate by essentially memorizing them. I do keep 104 on the right, 96 on the left, Bullseye on the far left. I'm phasing out 96 except for a few colors though.

The only rods I ever mix up are clear and black, so I am extra careful to put them back down where they are supposed to go. Most glass has identifiable characteristics, like texture or the diameter of rods.

And I mostly work with 104. I use Bullseye mostly for spacers because it is such pretty glass all by itself, and for scultural things like goddess beads. I buy colors that you don't find in the 104 palatte, usually odd lots, so it is easy to recognize them on my bench.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-06-04, 7:20pm
Katherine

I clean off my area each time I torch. Not only because I use different COE's but because i share the garage with my husband who often times leaves the big garage door open. So I like to have my glass covered.

Old 2012-06-04, 7:56pm

I just finished a glass inventory and found that I have over 180 colors (104) not including goldstone stringers and other specialty stringers plus stringers I have made. Just ordered another butt load of glass 3 weeks ago and haven't been home to admire it yet as I have been visiting family and helping out mom but there is another prolly 20 colors there! I keep waiting for DH to say something about ordering more glass until I sell something but being the sweetie he is - he hasn't said anything yet! I do have to say that I am slowing down on the glass orders lately (at least till Frantz has another super sale LOL).

LynieG
Old 2012-06-04, 7:59pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyGlass9 View Post
This is me, pretty much. I started 5 years ago, and was buying anything and everything 104 COE. Now, I mostly buy my standby colors in 3-5 lbs at a time, and the occasional new color that catches my eye (usually a CIM color).

I do have a question for you folks that have multiple COE's, though. Do you all clean off your bench each time after you work, to avoid mixing the COE's? I just can't see myself ever cleaning off my entire bench each time - not gonna happen!! So short of labeling every single rod (and that's probably NOT gonna happen either!), how on earth do you play safely with multiple COE's??
I use a tip I picked up from Micheal Barley (although his system is much more sophisticated than mine!) and use cookie sheets on my workbench to keep the COE's separated. Each COE has it's own cookie sheet, and when I'm done with one I pack the whole thing away back on its shelf. I still have a mess, but the mess is portable!

Old 2012-06-04, 8:01pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads View Post
All. of. them.

I keep my glass CoEs separate by essentially memorizing them. I do keep 104 on the right, 96 on the left, Bullseye on the far left. I'm phasing out 96 except for a few colors though.

The only rods I ever mix up are clear and black, so I am extra careful to put them back down where they are supposed to go. Most glass has identifiable characteristics, like texture or the diameter of rods.

And I mostly work with 104. I use Bullseye mostly for spacers because it is such pretty glass all by itself, and for scultural things like goddess beads. I buy colors that you don't find in the 104 palatte, usually odd lots, so it is easy to recognize them on my bench.
I like your answer! And yes... BE has so many colors that I am reluctant to do anything with other than make simple single-color beads from them, because the colors themselves are so beautiful, rare and complex. I have found that many of the, complement each other wonderfully in striped beads, though.

Old 2012-06-05, 5:46am
Run Free Sweet Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyGlass9 View Post

I have 104, 90, 33, and 96. My bench is usually a MESS. I tend to work 104 the most. So, if I am going to do a serious run of another coe, yes I clear and clean my bench. But if I just want to mess around a little with another coe, I just stack all the 104 rods on the left side of the bench and all the new coe on the right side. I dont mix them up that way, and when I am done I put the odd coe glass away.

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2012-06-05, 5:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
I don't (yet) have much in other COEs, but the few times I've worked in something else, I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I moved most of the rods to a jar, then got some wide foil & covered my area so I would be sure not to mix anything.
This is actually brilliant! I can manage this!

Quote:
All. of. them.

Elizabeth, I have found that I can usually tell MOST of the glasses by sight as well, but was worried about the clears, whites and blacks - all of which I use a ton of! I have been wanting to try some Bullseye but was scared to add it for just that reason. At least the Czech glass I have is easily identifiable as Czech, so I don't worry about mixing it in with my other 104 by accident. I keep those (longer and fatter) rods in a separate case and just put those few rods away after using them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
I use a tip I picked up from Micheal Barley (although his system is much more sophisticated than mine!) and use cookie sheets on my workbench to keep the COE's separated. Each COE has it's own cookie sheet, and when I'm done with one I pack the whole thing away back on its shelf. I still have a mess, but the mess is portable!
I love this idea too! And I have quite a few old, funky looking cookie sheets I could use, and that would then give me an excuse to buy new cookies sheets for baking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patienthand View Post
I have 104, 90, 33, and 96. My bench is usually a MESS. I tend to work 104 the most. So, if I am going to do a serious run of another coe, yes I clear and clean my bench. But if I just want to mess around a little with another coe, I just stack all the 104 rods on the left side of the bench and all the new coe on the right side. I dont mix them up that way, and when I am done I put the odd coe glass away.
This is sorta what I have been doing when I pull the Czech glass out to play, Candice. I think my bigger worry is if I add Bullseye into the mix as well. I have some Reichenbach but it's all 104 and I know it by sight, so I know what plays nice with Effetre and what doesn't, for the most part.

But the Bullseye colors are just so yummy and I have really been wanting to give them a try. I think I will try the cookie sheet idea Kalera mentioned for that, once I buy some.

So of course that begs the question - which are the absolutely MUST HAVE Bullseye colors?

Old 2012-06-05, 5:15pm

When I first began lampworking, I stocked up on all the basic colors and really knew nothing about pastels, alabastor, etc. I learned along the way and then began experimenting with some 96 glass. Now, I only purchase what I really need and use on a regular basis and hone my skills with the less expensive glass before using my silver glass.
However, I still can't refrain from purchsing something that really catches my eye or is very different from what I have. I also hoard certain glass such as the original Terra. I can't seem to use the remaing rods even though Double Helix has gotten the formula back.
Old 2012-06-05, 5:25pm
Lampworkaholic!

Here is a neat little trick. If you want to differentiate your black, white, clear rods (or what have you) on your bench, melt a little bit of frit or a contrasting color onto the non-business end of say, your Bullseye rods. Some people paint a little bit of white-out on the rod ends.

As for choosing Bullseye colors, I love the pinks, the streakies, the mists, the auroras. Light Pink Striker and Light Fuchsia Striker are my top picks. They strike easily and are just gorgeous.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-06-05, 6:44pm

I too went bananas buying glass when I first started making beads. So now I have a pretty wide variety of glass to choose from. This past year though, I have really tried to make an effort to not buy so much glass (especially silver glass) and just use the stash I have, restocking colors I run out of as needed. It's tough when new colors come out and you see the amazing beads everyone makes with them - or there's an amazing sale!

Handmade Murrini Chips, Glass Beads, & Lampwork Tutorials
Old 2012-06-05, 7:40pm

Quote:
Here is a neat little trick. If you want to differentiate your black, white, clear rods (or what have you) on your bench, melt a little bit of frit or a contrasting color onto the non-business end of say, your Bullseye rods. Some people paint a little bit of white-out on the rod ends.

As for choosing Bullseye colors, I love the pinks, the streakies, the mists, the auroras. Light Pink Striker and Light Fuchsia Striker are my top picks. They strike easily and are just gorgeous.
Oooh Elizabeth - I love pink so thanks for the info on these bullseye colors! I will definitely have to check those out.

And I love the idea of putting a dot of frit or whiteout on the end of the non-104 rods. That is fast and easy and something I can do when I first get the glass, so if it gets mixed up on my table later, I can see at a glance that it's not 104!

And I am another who loves to buy the odd lots and the test lots from Double Helix, so I can imagine that I will end up doing the same with any special Bullseye colors too.

Old 2012-06-06, 12:54pm
randomly active member

I actually have the opposite problem. I am trying to downsize my color stash to have a limited number of colors. I start having anxiety attacks when I feel too cluttered and have too many choices

I mean really, do I actually need 5 shades of blue that are nearly identical? Can you even tell the difference between light lapis, medium lapis, dark lapis, french blue and cornflower? So I've decided to pick one and stick with it.

I've compiled a list of every color I have with notes and 2 columns. One column for "pantry stock colors" and the other column for "one-time purchase" so I can eventually get to a final selection of colors I want in my studio - mainly because I only have so much storage and I just can't handle not having a spot for every single rod. My OCD tendencies gets the best of me sometimes.
.:.