LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2012-11-12, 6:51pm
Shelarious

I feel like a person had better come up with a really creative, unique, 'how did they do that' technique to sell to me at this point.

Secondly, I have no problem with multiple tutorials on the same technique - it's up to the consumer to determine which one is best, which one they want to buy. This will drive the producers of tutorials to work harder and develop better products.

Lastly, I compare this to learning techniques on anything else - for example, music. I took private piano and oboe lessons for years, and I and everyone else turns around and sells that knowledge in lessons without a second thought. That's just how it's done. "So and so taught me this trick...so and so taught me this method..." Or, you don't even say who taught you the technique, you just pass it on. It's not something that's put at the forefront of your thinking in this schema at all.

If it's something you don't want anyone to know/copy/create their own tutorial then don't tell. You can't control what other people do. Just put the product out there and make it the best you can and understand that others might have figured it out, too.

If someone asks me, "how do I do xyz in glass" and I know, I'll help them. Maybe that info is in a tutorial, maybe it isn't, but how am I supposed to keep track of all the paid for tutorials out there?

Kind of unorganized musings...sorry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-11-12, 7:26pm
Sheila Davis Designs

You're a very wise man, Dix.

Old 2012-11-12, 8:48pm
Dix Harrison

Awwww, Sheila. You're so nice!

But, I's a girl! (Dix is short for Dixie).

xoxo
Old 2012-11-12, 9:04pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansassky View Post
Awwww, Sheila. You're so nice!

But, I's a girl! (Dix is short for Dixie).

xoxo
Oh crap!! Well...you're a very wise woman! ( should have known)

Old 2012-11-12, 9:36pm
Dix Harrison

No problem!!!!

My mama's maiden name was "Dix"--she made it into "Dixie" when I was born.
I shortened it to Dix when I grew up. That's what my friends always called me anyway.

I know....TMI, huh? HA!
Old 2012-11-14, 2:41am
Queen of the milo field

As an intermediate maker, I'm self-taught by way of books, the internet and experimentation, which surely causes a slant in my viewpoint [and has caused some truly spectacular failures]. The only class I've ever taken was an adult ed intro to lampwork.

I've bought exactly one tutorial, which once I got it, showed material that was available for free on the web. But I still appreciated the tut because someone took the time/expense of making a video that was helpful.

For the same reason I really appreciate the people who take the time to develop & post free tuts on boards and share their knowledge. Even if there are several showing how to do the same technique, each may show a different way of using it. I may not use the info or techniques the same way as they do either, but they were a springboard into something I might not have tried otherwise. BTW - Thanks Ever So to all those that do.

However it always puzzles me that some people get so frazzled over what they evidently consider 'their' bead. Especially when I see what is basically the same bead, same technique except for maybe one small change - say a dot of color in the middle of a pattern, instead of no dot - that I saw years ago in a book.

I think it's much harder now to come up with something that is truly new, but if you can - good for you. Or if you come up with a new way of using an older technique, great. Make a tut and charge for it if that's what you want to do. And there are bead makers whose work I admire that I'd buy tuts from simply because, well, I admire the work and would love to know the particular way they managed to do something. Even if I'll never in this life manage to get the same effect no matter how I ppp, I might use parts of it some other way.

dj

Old 2012-11-14, 4:32am
Now part of the Dark Side

I have purchased a couple of books and one video, Mr. Smiley's Boro Hearts 2. Coming from an Engineering/Technical background I'm looking more for why/how a technique works rather than what a particular artist makes with it. Although sometimes seeing what one artist does with a technique can be inspiring, "Oh I could use that for...", kind of a thing. As an artist I have no desire to make the same things as someone else, I want to make MY stuff, if that makes any sense.

I remember a conversation I had with another musician once, we were discussing the benefits of learning from popular music. His point was, "This would be a good spot for a Jimmy Hendrix riff." My reply was, "This is a good spot for one of my riffs, why do I want to be Jimmy Hendrix?".

I hope that illustration makes sense. When I look for tutorials I'm looking to increase my knowledge and skill set, not to learn how to make the item demonstrated in the tutorial.

Did I make sense?
Old 2012-11-14, 1:26pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
(snip)...with the advent of pay tutorials it seems like the first thing many people ask themselves when they stumble across something new is not "what can I make with this?" but "can I sell this information?" and I think that's unfortunate.
This is the part that makes me sad. If three people ask me how I do something, I do a free tutorial on it or I write one for Soda Lime Times. Is it because I think what I do isn't all that unique? Yes, that's part of it, I suppose. But more so because I remember ALL the people who helped me along the way by sharing what they knew and by encouraging me as I learned.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2012-11-14, 2:52pm

And I'm so happy you do Lori! Your tutorials are some of the best we have and our readers love them!

Old 2012-11-14, 5:24pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribeads View Post
This is the part that makes me sad. If three people ask me how I do something, I do a free tutorial on it or I write one for Soda Lime Times. Is it because I think what I do isn't all that unique? Yes, that's part of it, I suppose. But more so because I remember ALL the people who helped me along the way by sharing what they knew and by encouraging me as I learned.
Old 2012-11-14, 7:00pm
Mad about Glass

Quote:
Exactly! Well said.

[url]

Old 2012-11-14, 7:13pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbird View Post
if you type in blue does it mean you voted blue?
What kind of question is that? Who I voted for is reflected in my choice of font color? Then what does the Italics indicate mastermind?

The reason is; Patriotic. Red white and blue!

Old 2012-11-14, 9:03pm
I'm a lilac!

So many wonderful thoughts in this thread... thank you all so much for sharing your opinions and musings!

Diane, I wish I had it together enough to submit a tut to Soda Lime Times... when (or if?) I get my act together enough to take pictures and write one up, I'll talk to you first. It's one of those things on my wish list that seems to keep getting overridden by school/kids/health/etc.

Old 2012-11-14, 9:04pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendbill View Post
I wonder if that is because it's difficult to sell the actual glass beads for a true financial representation of the effort involved.
This may be part of it, for sure, especially now that lampwork isn't the current adornment fad and the economy isn't booming.

Old 2012-11-14, 11:50pm

Quote:
huge, huge kerfluffles over things like "I made a set of red beads with gold leaf, and she listed an identical set a week later!"
oh girl, I remember those days. I especially liked the "so and so used the same name that I named my set"

If you cannot stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 2012-11-14, 11:52pm

Quote:
yep

If you cannot stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 2012-11-15, 7:55am
Redheaded Thread Killer

I have purchased a small handful of tutorials over the years. I have seen a lot more that I'd "want" to have, but don't "need." (Even if I was actively lampworking, which I haven't been for several years.) And as you all are pretty aware, most techniques have multiple tutorials written by various individuals over the years.

Have any of you ever gone to a craft/art show, of any kind, and ended up purchasing very little? Do you find yourself saying "well, I can see they did this and this, and used these materials and I *could* do that too... if I wanted to spend the time/money/effort"?

I find myself doing that, and end up talking myself out of buying things at shows. I do the same for tutorials. It really needs to be something I want to get the knowledge from, or feel like it's such a great reference.. (example Kim Neely color archive book). Our corner of the art world has been fairly open in some ways, so if you are willing to invest time you can likely find "how-to" on just about anything!

Also, I really am not overly interested in the actual item they made, but more the technique. And maybe even THEIR technique if I already "know" how it's done, but feel they somehow execute it better or that their expertise will give me knowledge to be able to execute it better myself.

I see no real personal, creative value in re-creating someone else's art. I do see value in their experience as an artist in helping my own creativity bloom and grow.

It seems that over the years tutorials seem to be more of a money-making proposition than a true "I want to share this with you to help you learn" proposition. I'm not saying that is always the motive or main reason... it just feels occasionally stifling to know that people are hoarding/hiding/fearful of sharing knowledge because one or more tutorials are out there and they might step on toes.

Then there are the fabulous threads/nuggets/posts/videos that openly share knowledge/technique/tools/materials, and I have even thought "wow, they have so much knowledge - they could very easily share that in a paid tutorial/book/class and get something back from the community for their time/experience."

I also realize that our niche in the artistic world isn't always reliably good for income. So, some people have been able to capitalize on their knowledge and I think that is great. It just seems to be a bit arbitrary sometimes how we look at tutorials vs classes vs books vs open source material.

Currently... torch is cold. Not sure when I'll be making glass again. Hothead and Lynx user.
Nothing on
Old 2012-11-15, 9:44pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
oh girl, I remember those days. I especially liked the "so and so used the same name that I named my set"
Ugh, that! I even remember someone PMing me to ask if I wasn't upset that someone had named their set the same thing that I named mine. Why would I care??? And another time someone PMed me to ask if I wasn't mad that Breezy's beads have a similar aesthetic to mine. Of course not, I taught her, she was my right-hand man for years, and the reason we work so well together is because we share a very similar aesthetic!

Old 2012-11-16, 4:59am
Mad about Glass

Can't say how much I appreciate you Kalera and your "Ask me anything" thread was great and wonderfully generous of you to do it.

[url]

Old 2012-11-16, 3:41pm
I'm a lilac!

Aw, thank you!