No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-03-22, 12:27pm
Hello?

Default Glass Knobs

Hey got a question for those of you who make glass knobs with metal inserts in them.

So far I've made 4 and only one has survived. The rest have come out of the kiln cracked. I'm guessing its because of the insert so I'm wondering how slow you cool down the kiln when making knobs. Right now mine ramps down at about 345 degrees per hour I think, too fast?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-03-22, 12:34pm
Micromosaic and Lampwork

It depends on the thickness of the glass.

I make knobs and anneal them for about 1/2 hour per 1/2 inch, so one inch would be 1 hour at 960 degrees. I then ramp down about 100 degrees per half hour until I get to about 700. I then turn off my kiln, but it's a very well insulated kiln. Don't peek or open the door.

Also, I almost always add transparent clear as a base especially if there is any ornate layering of special colors or inclusions of metal or sand, or bubbles, etc.

Even after this, I still lose one once in a while, probably mostly due to incompatibility of the glass.

Old 2010-03-22, 12:52pm
Hello?

I make them first so they are in the kiln at 960-965 for minimum of 4 hours before ramping down. I'll have to change my ramp down to 100 instead of 350 and see if that helps.

Old 2010-03-22, 2:27pm
Dangerous Woman

Wow they both seem fast to me. After holding I ramp down at 80 degrees per hour to 700.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2010-03-22, 2:47pm

What COE of glass are you using ? I just looked at the instructions that came with my knob kit, and they said for boro, you should make the knob with the insert coated with bead release, then remove it, clean the knob, and glue the insert back in.

I thought that was odd for boro......
Current flamethrowers: Redmax, a Mini CC, and a fancy Benelli Cordoba skeet gun.

Last edited by crofootadv; 2010-03-22 at 2:48pm. Reason: I can't type.
Old 2010-03-22, 2:50pm
Hello?

I'm using 104 but will also be using the other coe's as well.

I can see that working for soft glass but boro, that seems unnecessary. I also would think it would be really hard to get the insert out.

Old 2010-03-22, 3:08pm
Borovangelist

I only make them from boro, and I use a 1/4" steel rod as my mandrel with bead release on the end. It works

I use a 15 minutes for every 1/4" annealing time, then about 250 an hour down to 750.

|
|
Old 2010-03-22, 3:12pm
Hello?

How do you make sure the hole where the insert is going to go isn't too shallow or too deep?

Old 2010-03-22, 5:09pm
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvenueBeads View Post
How do you make sure the hole where the insert is going to go isn't too shallow or too deep?
A very highly scientific method of course

I drew an outline of the insert on my bench, and before I get the rod hot, I gently lay it down next to the drawing and use a sharpie to draw the line on the bead release. Then I start my glass at that line, and work towards the tip. If I need the pull to be longer than that I just add more to the end of the rod and make a mental note of what I did for when I do the next one.

|
|
Old 2010-03-22, 11:27pm
Hello?

Have another one in the kiln. Changed my ramp down to 80, might as well be conservative. Wish me luck lol.

Old 2010-03-23, 12:02am

I make decorative knobs for small cabinets. The picture is of the first one made a few years ago, straight on the screw. That's not a good idea. Now I make them on a coated mandrel then glue the screw in. I kept the first one just in case, so far so good.

Cheers Kerry
Attached Images

Old 2010-03-23, 12:12am
Hello?

That is really pretty Kerry.

Old 2010-03-23, 2:42pm
Hello?

Success!

Old 2010-03-23, 2:59pm
Growing Edge Glass

Wow Joe...that's beautiful!!

-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2010-03-23, 3:07pm
Micromosaic and Lampwork

Kerry and Joe, those are beautiful!

Old 2010-03-23, 3:07pm
Hello?

Thank you! I'm glad it survived

Old 2010-03-23, 3:13pm
Growing Edge Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catts View Post
I make decorative knobs for small cabinets. The picture is of the first one made a few years ago, straight on the screw. That's not a good idea. Now I make them on a coated mandrel then glue the screw in. I kept the first one just in case, so far so good.

Cheers Kerry
I should have read up the thread more....Kerry..this is gorgeous...so ornate!!

-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2010-03-23, 4:06pm

Wow. I want to make some. Do you know what the thread of the screw is?
If you dont, all you have to do is measure the diameter and count the threads per inch. If the diameter comes out evenly with metric, count the threads per centimeter.

Old 2010-03-23, 5:13pm
Hello?

The insert takes a normal 8/32 screw.

Old 2010-03-24, 2:56pm

Thank you Joe, Christina & Mikelene. The knob is three cm by two & a half.

Joe that looks great, glad you had success. Beautiful color combo. How large is it & do you have to make more the same? I am hopeless at matching things, I never make sets & am inclined to make it up as I go along. Story of my life.

Cheers Kerry
Old 2010-03-24, 3:08pm
Hello?

Mine is roughly 3cm x 3cm.

This one wouldn't be to hard to duplicate but I hope these just sell as one offs Like you its hard for me to make sets or multiples of an item. I lose focus too quick lol.

Old 2010-03-24, 3:36pm

Joe, I do admire lampworkers who make wonderful sets but I’m too old to start being that disciplined.. Kerry