Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-04-12, 5:59pm
Senior Moment

Default How do you store your blown shards?

Specifically, so the shards don't get all smooshed, but also so the storage doesn't take up an entire shelf! I'm finding ziplock bags really aren't the best, plastic cups for storage are a bit unwieldy.

What do you use?

Thanx,
Alli

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-04-12, 7:22pm
burnin' glass just becuz

first i had them in a big wooden salad bowl but they got dusty so now they're in an old cookie tin with a lid. All of them in the one tin. i only keep purchased shards separated in baggies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2013-04-12, 7:33pm
dances with ideas...

I don't have a lot, but I use some of those watchmaker tins with the clear tops from Lee Valley.

Old 2013-04-12, 7:38pm
Glassss... Wooood... Yum

I use pill bottles.
Old 2013-04-12, 7:46pm
Powers Art Studio

I use TJ's hummus plastic containers and other plastic food containers. They stack very well so it doesn't take up too much space.

Jason

Old 2013-04-12, 8:05pm
Senior Moment

I like the hummus container idea, but we don't often buy food in that sort of container size (usually we buy the bigger ones), so it would be a while before I had enough and patience is not my virtue LOL. Pill bottles would be too small for me, and I do want to keep them separate.

I also really like the aluminum tin idea. Did a search on Amazon, and they have similar tins, which are 3-3/4 inches in diameter X 1-1/4 inches deep for $1.75 each that should do the trick!

Thanx so much for the quick responses!
Alli

Old 2013-04-12, 8:21pm
Sheila Davis Designs

I keep every plastic and metal container I use. The little take out cups with lids, like from a Chinese restaurant work good. Mine take up a whole drawer in my rolling storage.

Old 2013-04-12, 9:23pm

Alli - DH brings me home little plastic containers that welding tips come in from work. They just throw them away and I can get them by the boat load! I will post a pic. If you are interested in some pm me your addy and I will send some to you!

BRB with a pic!

LynieG
Old 2013-04-12, 9:33pm
Salt Box Beads

I use Rubbermaid plastic drawer organizers for my shards, murrini, twisites and foils, silver leaf and all of my dichro strips.

I keep all of the shards in the original plastic baggies in several drawers designated just for shards and they never get broken. I gently sort through them when looking for shards to use. So far I like my system.
Attached Images

Old 2013-04-12, 9:41pm

Here ya go then you can store the containers in Lorriane's drawers! (Dang that didn't sound right LOL) They are approximately 1 1/2 in square by 1 3/4 tall! They work great for frit and murrini too! The last pic shows them stacked and empty!

PS I can send these out to anyone else that is interested too!
Attached Images

LynieG
Old 2013-04-12, 10:03pm
Slogan Challenged...

Lynie, I'd love some! I've been going through my storage and I need to reorganize. These look wonderful! Thanks, pm me for anything you need.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-04-12, 10:25pm
Senior Moment

I have Rubbermaid-like drawer thingies, biggish ones for my rods, small (like 5-6 inches across with little drawers) for my murrini (I use test tubes for my stringer/twists/etc, and spice containers for my frit).

I found I really don't have the elbow room for the small drawers of murrini on my work table; I prefer to have smaller items next to me instead of in front of the flame. A 2-2 1/2 container would be perfect. How wide are those containers Lynie? and do you think shipping would be feasible for, say, 5 or 6?

Thanx everyone you guys are awesome!

Alli

Old 2013-04-12, 10:25pm

PM me your addy! Don't need anything for them!

LynieG
Old 2013-04-12, 10:29pm

Alli - They are aprox. 1 1/2 inches square by 1 3/4 inches tall! You can see in the pics the shards in the bottom then I just use a marker on the plastic to say what they are! The container between the aqua and cobalt blue is SIS! I have whatever color I am going to use just sitting next to my water glass - takes up little room!

LynieG
Old 2013-04-12, 10:31pm

LOL Forgot to add Let me know how many you would like! No shipping necessary! My treat!

LynieG
Old 2013-04-12, 10:34pm

OH and I also have one with baking soda in it and another one with copper bits. Like I said they work great for anything small.

LynieG
Old 2013-04-12, 10:51pm
Senior Moment

Oh...they're smaller than I realized LOL I can't judge size to save my life. For some reason thought they were like 5 inches tall and didn't want to ding you for shipping a bunch of bulky things.

Yeah. Let me try some! Ummm...would 10 be ok? And I'm in the RAOGK.

Old 2013-04-12, 11:21pm

No Problem! I will get them out on Monday.

LynieG
Old 2013-04-13, 6:39am

I would love to have these. But, I'm checking locally to see if I can tap a source rather than have you ship. Shipping has gotten to expensive and if I can get them locally, I will share with my glassy peeps here. These are a wonderful solution.
Thanks.
Joan
Old 2013-04-13, 7:59am

NP Joan - If you can't find them let me know. I have had a couple of requests so if you need them it might be the end of the week. Just let me know!

LynieG
Old 2013-04-13, 8:42am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

You mean you don't just keep them spread all over the top of your workbench where they landed when it broke? Who knew!

L-111

Old 2013-04-13, 9:53am
hyperT

Hoarders!
Old 2013-04-13, 10:29am

Who ME? YEP!!! lmao

But I'm a semi-organized hoarder!

LynieG
Old 2013-04-13, 11:06am

OK folks - I am out of the containers now! I just mailed out a couple of doz that I had left over but can get more so if you would like some let me know and I will put you on a list and send them out as soon as I have enough to send you!

I am not charging shipping because people on here have been so good to me that this is my way of paying it forward!

LynieG
Old 2013-04-13, 11:42am
Lampworkaholic!

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-04-13, 1:06pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynieG View Post
Here ya go then you can store the containers in Lorriane's drawers! (Dang that didn't sound right LOL) They are approximately 1 1/2 in square by 1 3/4 tall! They work great for frit and murrini too! The last pic shows them stacked and empty!

PS I can send these out to anyone else that is interested too!
I splurted my breakfast when I read your post!!! I had just taken a bite of my eggs and sausage....

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2013-04-13 at 1:09pm.
Old 2013-04-13, 2:27pm
Jacqueline Parkes

This is exactly what I use as well. Best system ever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Chandler View Post
I use Rubbermaid plastic drawer organizers for my shards, murrini, twisites and foils, silver leaf and all of my dichro strips.

I keep all of the shards in the original plastic baggies in several drawers designated just for shards and they never get broken. I gently sort through them when looking for shards to use. So far I like my system.

Old 2013-04-13, 5:06pm

Lynie-What is the source of those plastic containers?

Containers I like for shards are Gerbers plastic baby food containers. Unfortunately don't know anyone with a baby at the moment. Almost used up the stack I had.
Georgia
Old 2013-04-13, 7:55pm

LOL Lorraine! Wondered what you would do when you saw that! I had typed it out and as I reread it before posting realized what it sounded like so I had to leave it! (I'm warped - what can I say!)

Georgia - DH gets them from work. It's what cutting tips for welding comes in! They just throw out the containers! Will get you some if you wait about 3 - 4 weeks while I build supply back up! You might be able to find them under a storage source but I haven't looked for them because I have my own supply LOL!

LynieG
Old 2013-04-13, 8:01pm
KitseyBelle

The little plastic containers that baby food comes in work as well.