No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2006-01-08, 2:07pm

Default New Studio pics!

Hi,

Well, after a lot of hard work, the studio is 99% complete. I just have to install my glass storage shelves, and it will be all done. The studio has a coldworking area, torch-area, jewelry-bench, soldering area, tool storage area, and an air conditioner! The propane is hard plumbed through the wall, but I keep the oxy indoors.

Oh, I do need to add some baffles for my hood, but that will come later. The hood works fine on high without the baffles, but I want to be able to run it at a lower level.

The item leaning against the wall by the rolling mill is my extension table for the torch area. It increases the depth of the table from 3.5 feet to a full 5 feet.

Eric
Attached Images

Last edited by e. mort; 2006-01-08 at 2:09pm.
Old 2006-01-08, 7:41pm
Nah, not really...;)

Wow, so organized! It looks awesome, thank you for sharing.

Carrie
Old 2006-01-09, 6:11am

Default New Studio Pics

Hi Carrie,

It is only so organized because I haven't started working in there yet. Give me a few weeks and it will probably be able to compete for the "messiest" studio.

Eric
Old 2006-01-09, 6:53am
Detail G-Mama!

WTG Eric! Looks great and you can't see how green with envy I am!! I'm sure you are very glad to be finished with it! I'll have come by and check it out one day!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-01-09, 7:37am

Default New Studio Pics.

Hi Anne,

Come on by anytime! As soon as my "y" connectors show up, you can try out the Delta too!

Eric
Old 2006-01-09, 8:04am
Detail G-Mama!

Ok, sounds like fun! See ya at the meeting?

Old 2006-01-09, 8:12am
Gone Fishing!

Wow.. Eric.. great studio...

Couple of questions...

How big is it?

Also, is that a glasscraft hood with your own fan?
Old 2006-01-09, 8:32am

Default Studio details

HI Holly,

The Studio is 10'x16'. The hood was made by glasscraft and is one of their upgraded ones. Though to be honest with you, I don't feel it is really worth the $560 it cost. If I ever do it again, I will just go out and buy an exhaust fan, switch, and louvers from an A/C supply house, and have a hood made locally. Don't get me wrong, the people at glasscraft are really nice and easy to deal with. I was just expecting more of a one unit piece where I only had to cut a hole in the wall and hang it up. This was not a plug and play type hood by any means.

Eric
Old 2006-01-09, 9:22am

Default Outside view of Studio - Stealth entrance.

Here is what it looks like from the outside. Had to keep the HOA happy!

Eric
Attached Images

Last edited by e. mort; 2006-01-09 at 9:24am.
Old 2006-01-10, 4:59am
Gone Fishing!

Hey Eric....

wow... I just bought the upgraded glasscraft hood also. I like the design of the hood, but I am still on the fence about how I feel about it. I am not sure if the fans are really "enough". Yours came with the fans? Your somehow look a little diffrent then mine. Did you do two fans or one?

I love the way you made the door inside the garage door. I wish I could do that here, but the hubby really wants to give me the boot and build me some sort of studio in the back of the house instead. ~Holly
Old 2006-01-10, 7:20am

Default Glasscraft Hood

Hi Holly,

My hood has the variable speed fan: 350-850 cfm. The fan housing itself is 16"x16". I had glasscraft set me up a system that could handle my new GTT Delta Elite, and this is what they sent.

I would have preferred to have built or purchased a shed for the studio, but my local Homeowners Association has a rule that "sheds are to be used for storage only, not as workshops." So, that kind of killed that idea. Still with the exception of sacrificing my garage space, I am really happy with how it turned out. Wish I could have afforded to put in a sink though.

Eric
Old 2006-01-10, 9:00pm

Default Some more changes to the studio.

Hello,

I made a couple more changes today: one out of necessity, and a couple just for convenience.

In the first picture you can see that I added two new vents to handle the make up air supply. My glasscraft hood exhausts through a 12"x12" set of louvers. I figured no problem, I will just make an intake vent that is also 12"x12". But since it is so dusty here right now, I decided to put in one that had a pleated filter to keep the dust out of the studio. Well, that cut way back on the flow that the fan could exhaust, so I had the choice of either getting rid of the filter, or putting in a second vent. Since I hate dusting I chose the latter. So, if you are putting in an exhaust hood, figure on doubling the amount of square inches for the intake vent if you are going to filter it with one of the pleated filters.

In the second picture you can see that I installed my new creation station, and if you look closely you will notice that the kiln is on a lazy susan. It really makes it a lot easier to access the doors as well as the control pad.

Have a good one!

Eric
Attached Images

Old 2006-01-10, 9:12pm
1 Martini Shy of Nirvana!

What a wonderful set up!! Thanks for sharing.

Old 2006-01-11, 4:07am
Embracing My Wonkiness

I already told ya what I think, Eric. I just jumped in here to look at that much coveted rolling mill again.

What kind of kiln am I looking at in your pics?

Lil
Old 2006-01-11, 5:07am
Detail G-Mama!

I can answer that one since it used to be mine! LOL! It's a Skutt with a bead door. There is a number that goes after the name but I just woke up and can't remember right now!

Old 2006-01-11, 6:40am
Embracing My Wonkiness

Ah! Ok Anne! Thanks for the info. How did you like it? I'm struggling with what the heck to do for a kiln. Not to hijack Eric's thread but what kiln have you gone with now?

Lil
Old 2006-01-11, 6:59am
Detail G-Mama!

I loved it and I bought it with the intention of doing some fusing and slumping but ended up just annealing beads in it! We then started having problems with the electrical (old house with screwed up wiring!) so I had to go to a Chili Pepper since it has less amperage! I love the chili pepper also!

Old 2006-01-11, 8:35am

Default Kiln

Thanks Anne!

(Now you just need to teach me how to program the beast.)

Eric
Old 2006-01-11, 8:39am
Detail G-Mama!

It's already programed!! LOL! Did David give you the book that came with it? I have a program in it that will run for 10 hrs before it starts ramping down. I'll try to come over soon so I can show ya which sequence to push the buttons unless you can take a picture of the control panel.

Old 2006-01-13, 6:41pm
on hiatus...

Wow!! that's awesome!! What a wonderful work space and "hiding" it behind the garage doors is genious.

Great job Eric... wish you would have moved to Missouri... LOL

Steph
Old 2006-01-13, 6:57pm
needs to light the torch.

WOW, what a nice space!!!!!!!!!

I would LOVE a space like that!! Great Job!!

Old 2006-04-29, 8:59am

Default Finally added the stainless steel

I finally got around to adding some stainless steel to my work area. Here is a picture. (It is 20 guage stainless)

Eric
Attached Images

Old 2006-04-29, 10:48am
Nah, not really...;)

Wow Eric, your space is incredibly organized and clean. I am envious.

Old 2006-04-29, 11:14am

Well, I did have to clean it up to put down the stainless, so I can't say it is always that organized.

Eric
Old 2006-04-29, 12:09pm

Eric great studio!! Enjoy.
Have a question , what size is your rolling mill?I have been looking for one about that size.
Thanks for your help. I love your setup on your studio.!!
Janet
Old 2006-04-30, 7:34am
still not Leslie

Location: Home the 2011 Worlds Series Champion St Louis Cardinals

Wow! What a great place to make beads! You are so lucky!
Old 2006-05-02, 6:57am

nice space Eric, You got it all messed up yet??
I really like the workbench with the vice on it. What kind of wood is it? Cherry?.
B
Old 2006-05-02, 4:39pm

Yeah it is pretty messed up now. The bench with the rolling mill on it is a maple bench that I picked up at costco for a couple hundred bucks about 4 years ago. The bench with the vice is actually an old cheap birch dining room table that I ripped down the middle with my circular saw and turned into benches.

Eric
Old 2006-05-10, 10:55am

I forgot to add the picture to this thread that I added to the "storage ideas" thread. Anyway, here it is.
Attached Images

Old 2006-05-11, 4:15am
Nah, not really...;)

Eric, you have the cleanest, most organized studio that I have ever seen! I am envious.

Love you new avatar, BTW!