LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-02-03, 10:03am

Default Ok, here's the deal... I'm feeling inadequate!

For all of my friends who I daily pm with my rants about how depressed I am that I'm falling in a rut... THANKS FOR LISTENING!

What is wrong with me?
My flowers suck and I can't make even dots worth a shit!
Actually, shit is exactly what my flowers and dots resemble!

I practice and practice and practice, and ya know... after a while don't you think I'd see SOME type of improvement? NOPE, not me.
I know it has a lot to do with my torch, (hothead) but at the same time, I refuse to blame the torch for it... I know many people who use a hothead and make perfect flowers.
So again, what is wrong with me.

And my dots.... puke!
Every time I try to make a bead with perfectly spaced, perfectly shaped and sized dots... SOMETHING always goes wrong.
Either the first dots I made melt in while I'm making the other dots, or they're all uneven and yucky.

Don't get me wrong... I am happy with my usual earthy focals and sculptural focals, etc.... but I keep trying because it sticks in my heart that I cannot perfect this.

As I asked someone earlier in a pm..... should I just accept the realization that flowers and dots are not my thing....
OR does someone out there have a miraculous tutorial that is sure to get me making flowers and dots in no time.

I'm just in a rut and I want to get out!

Thanks for listening to me rant!

Joanna
Old 2006-02-03, 10:21am
Glassy Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekbeads
For all of my friends who I daily pm with my rants about how depressed I am that I'm falling in a rut... THANKS FOR LISTENING!

What is wrong with me?
My flowers suck and I can't make even dots worth a shit!
Actually, shit is exactly what my flowers and dots resemble!

I practice and practice and practice, and ya know... after a while don't you think I'd see SOME type of improvement? NOPE, not me.
I know it has a lot to do with my torch, (hothead) but at the same time, I refuse to blame the torch for it... I know many people who use a hothead and make perfect flowers.
So again, what is wrong with me.

And my dots.... puke!
Every time I try to make a bead with perfectly spaced, perfectly shaped and sized dots... SOMETHING always goes wrong.
Either the first dots I made melt in while I'm making the other dots, or they're all uneven and yucky.

Don't get me wrong... I am happy with my usual earthy focals and sculptural focals, etc.... but I keep trying because it sticks in my heart that I cannot perfect this.

As I asked someone earlier in a pm..... should I just accept the realization that flowers and dots are not my thing....
OR does someone out there have a miraculous tutorial that is sure to get me making flowers and dots in no time.

I'm just in a rut and I want to get out!

Thanks for listening to me rant!

Joanna

It take a LOT of practise to make perfect beads. I've been torching for 4 years and I have yet to make the perfect encased floral bead. In fact, this kind of bead is one of the hardest techniques to master.

If you want to improve your skills, you just have to practise more. Yes, I know it's not what you want to hear, but it's the only way you're going to get better.

Have you considered taking a class? Some instruction might help you pinpoint what you are doing wrong.

If you can't take a class, the next best thing is getting Corina's book, passing the flame. In fact, I would suggest take a class AND get Corina's book. The book is $75, but it's worth its weight in gold. She explains how to do all the basic techniques in great detail and shows step by step pictures. Then she shows you how to combine the basic stuff to do the advanced techniques like florals in great detail and with step by step pictures. You can get the book on Amazon or on Corina's website www.corinabeads.com, or at any of the glass suppliers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BHB/PANDORA EXCHANGE IN THE PATIO
Old 2006-02-03, 10:25am
Satake Woman!

I've decided that there are some things that I just don't care to do, because it doesn't make me happy. So evenly spaced dots and florals aren't my thing. There are plenty of other beads to make!

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2006-02-03, 10:31am

I wish I knew Dogmaw's name because I think that sums up my answer. Alex has good suggestions as well.

I'm just wondering why you are dying to do dots and flowers? How about the more abstract versions of these things. Like the coiled cane for a 'rose'? Or the dots with the twistie in the middle? Neither looks exactly like nature but clearly the artist's intention is a flower.

When I'm stuck I usually try to just melt glass with no goal or with a completely different goal. Say a hollow or a try to make as long of a bicone or cylinder you can for a while. Or till you get so bored you're dying to do the dots and florals again.

One other thought, if you're having trouble with some melting before you'd hoped what if you try white for a while. Till you see how little or how much heat it takes to get the glass to do what you want without melting it?

On the other hand, my dots aren't that good and my flowers stink, so good luck.
Old 2006-02-03, 10:34am
Feverish Little Minx

I can relate Joanna. I'm still not happy with my dots and flowers.

Do you use bulk fuel, or the little #1 mapp cans? I've found that the quality of my beads drop when the #1 Mapp tank gets below the half full point. The pressure of the tank decreases, the flame loses heat, the glass melts slower, and my impatience rises which results in sloppy beads. I don't think there is anything wrong with the HH, it's just my skill level and the annoyance factor of the little gas turd tanks.

I did buy the Dots book and that has helped, but really, I need to just practice more and work on my patience.

I'm all out of clever.
Old 2006-02-03, 10:51am

One of my problems in making anything in glass is patience, or lack of. When I find something that I hadn't intended, has melted in, it's usually because I was working to hot, one of my many other downfalls . I've read this is a common problem for new lampworkers (I'm in 1 year).....it sure is for me. I have a hard time with florals and dots also, so I'm not one to be giving advice, but I would say try working farther out in the flame. That is if you feel this is a problem for you as well.

Don't give up, though! Folks all the time say they couldn't do this or that worth a flip, then all of a sudden, it just clicked. I'll second Alex on Corina's book, it's wonderful - so full of helpful info. Try to get it, if you don't already have it.

Old 2006-02-03, 11:52am
Button Queen

Joanna,

I'm with you girl. I'm somewhat of a newbie. Technically I've been doing this for almost a year, but I've had a LOT of down time in there. I've been feeling pretty frustrated that it's not coming quicker and that my dots aren't all perfectly shaped/sized/spaced. And my flowers don't even BEGIN to resemble flowers.

And then I look at what's in the gallery, and only get MORE frustrated and depressed. Gosh - they're all so beautiful and mine stink in comparison.

BUT - one thing I recently did made me feel a bit better. I pulled out my first strand of beads I ever made, and some of my earlier ones. Then I put my latest beads next to them. And you know what - they looked a lot better than the first ones.

So while they're not great, they're still "better". And "BETTER" is what we're really after.

And no, dot beads and flowers aren't going to be my "thing". But I do really at least want to be ABLE to do them, and just choose not to. Especially dots, since so many other things are built on those basic skills.

Barbara
Old 2006-02-03, 11:59am
Where Am I?

I can't make good dots or flowers yet. I 'm with Jo, I just make what I can and keep practicing what I want to learn.Maybe one day it will come together.

Some days you're the dog.
Other days you're the hydrant

phyliss
Old 2006-02-03, 12:15pm
Student of DachZen

Heat and stringer control is much more difficult on a HotHead, and both of those are key to good florals.

My wild-@ss guess is you might be working too close to the torch? Have you tried working a couple or three inches or more past the tip of the blue cone when you are doing dots? Also, heat your stringer or rod while keeping your base bead warm *close to* the flame, but not *in it* then take the stringer and base bead out to the side of the flame to "plant" the dot, then move back into the flame to cut it. That helps you get the dot more where you want it without having it go all sloppy on you in the flame.

If you can give us more info on what exactly "sucks" about your dots and florals, or post some pics, maybe some of us still working on HotHeads can help you out with some more tips.

good luck!
Teresa
Old 2006-02-03, 1:36pm
Entropy increasing....

How long have you been making beads?

I will never make perfect dots. I just don't have the hand for it. Everyone doesn't excell at the same kind of beads. When working in any medium you have to find out what you can do and make that work for you.

After 2 years of bead making, I still can't encase a floral to my liking. Maybe I never will, but hey, I sell the heck out of goddesses!
Old 2006-02-03, 3:11pm

I hear what all of you are saying and thank you for the replies.
I've been lampworking for 2 years, but seriously for 1 year.
I think you're right... it's just not my thing right now.
I need to seperate myself from it for a while so I don't get totally obsessed with it.
And there is no specific reason why I want to make the flowers or dots so badly.... it's more of just the fact that I can't do it well is bothering me!
I am happy with other beads I make... just need to keep experimenting and find what 'does it' for me!
Thanks for all the responses and keep them coming if you like!
and yes... I am definitely working too close to the flame... I am VERY impatient which is probably 90%of the problem.. lol.

Joanna
Old 2006-02-03, 3:21pm
Smile, it's contagious!

I have only been at it a couple of months, but have come to terms with the fact that I am dot challenged. I still try them all the time, knowing that I suck(and being ok with that knowledge)... but I keep trying and maybe one day, one will turn out.

Edited to add... I am on a HH too. I only lasted a couple of days on those little cans, I now have 2 of the bbq size tanks and am much happier!!!

P.S. I got my picks today.... man, are they ever sharp! Can't wait to try them out.

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2006-02-03, 5:11pm
the Evil One

I understand what you mean. When I can't do something it seems to be the only thing I want to do And I have to agree ppp and patience! I was on a HH for 2 years and here is one I did 6 months ago and boy did I learn to be patient and ppp
Also have you thought that it the time of year. I personally tend to be easily frustrated and depressed in the winter and I have to learn to do what I like and not keep focusing on what I can't. So try putting on your favorite music and taking a deep breath and try again!
Good luck and pm if you want to rant cause I will understand because I do!
Sandra
As you can tell I did distort one petal!

Old 2006-02-04, 6:18pm

OOo, pretty!

Well, I took some time to think. I took the night off from torching last night and stayed away from this thread.. lol
This morning, I was refreshed and back at the torch and just threw the flowers and dots out of my head for now.
I made some sculptural focal pieces (which is looking like that's my niche!)
I will post a pic when I get back to work and can scan it.
My camera is on the fritz right now.

Anyways, thanks everyone, for your support and talking some sense into my head.
It's nice to have such a great support system here.

happy torching!
Joanna
Old 2006-02-04, 7:16pm
Mary Lockwood

You have already gotten a lot of really good advice in this thread.

Especially what Alex said.

The only thing I would add is this:

85% of all lampworking problems can be solved by turning down your flame and working further away from the torch head. Especially on a hothead.

The rest is all practice and patience with a good helping of instruction or directions.

Relax while you are working, go with the flow. No need to worry. You can rush and end up with something you hate, or you can take your time and make something you are happy with.

AND, don't forget. Every time you make something that sucks...be sure to make the next thing something you are good at. You have to have SOME success when you torch or your motivation to try again goes away.

Hugs and good wishes.

Work hard.

~~Mary

Old 2006-02-04, 9:23pm

I am absolutely elated right now.
I signed off of LE and went to make a bead.
Rolled a barrel bead in some frit and just fooled with it a little...
and it was like my hands just said to my brain, "you're done for the night... it's our turn to play"....
and I did it... I just started stacking dots in a diagonal pattern around the bead and it looked fairly good... so I was on a role and continued with a contrasting color... again... looking good... shit... I must have stacked a layer of 6 dots in alternating contrasts and I am SO happy.
No, it isn't the most perfect bead, but guess what... I think I love it!
I can't wait to wear it. I will save it always as my treasured "gotta get out of this rut" bead.
I guess once I let go and convinced myself not to worry about it so much... it just happened.
I know I should practice right now while it's fresh in my head... but for the sake of not ruining a good feeling... I'm going to leave it alone for the night.

For those of you who are experienced... do you remember what it was like being a fairly new beadmaker... not completely confident... and feeling like I was earlier in the week... like nothing would go your way.... and the feeling you got when it just 'happened' for you. I wish I could hold on to this feeling forever!

Thanks for listening to me, everyone!
Joanna
Old 2006-02-05, 12:18am
Entropy increasing....

I have yet to feel confident.

When does that happen?
Old 2006-02-05, 12:36am
Yup.

Can I chime in that I think the only perfect dot that is a dot you accept as perfect? No matter how hard you look you will find something that isn't good enough. In every bead in every time with every artist. EVERY BEAD!!! (First show I went to I was a little surprised that none of the beads were perfect!) If you accept your bead as perfect, just as it is, then it is perfect.

Pay attention to how the heat & distance from flame affects your glass and relax. Maybe every single bead isn't super amazing but at least you can see your skill improve in every one, which gives them value.

~
~
Old 2006-02-05, 12:50pm

THANKS JC!

I don't know what happened to me this weekend, aside of all the support I've been getting from you gals and loco, but I suddenly feel really good about my beads~
Today I made a small tube bead in black and played around with some vine stringer and bright colors for flowers and am absolutely excited beyond control that it came out just the way I wanted... this was my first time making this type of bead! I guess the midol could be partially responsible for my good mood, lol, but really, deep down, I just suddenly feel really good about myself.

Have a great day everyone!
Joanna
Old 2006-02-05, 2:31pm

Yey!! I am so glad you had a breakthrough! I hope the advice on flowers I gave you in that PM helps some. (((((hugs)))))
Sometimes all it takes is a break and letting go to set you on anew path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekbeads
I am absolutely elated right now.
I signed off of LE and went to make a bead.
Rolled a barrel bead in some frit and just fooled with it a little...
and it was like my hands just said to my brain, "you're done for the night... it's our turn to play"....
and I did it... I just started stacking dots in a diagonal pattern around the bead and it looked fairly good... so I was on a role and continued with a contrasting color... again... looking good... shit... I must have stacked a layer of 6 dots in alternating contrasts and I am SO happy.
No, it isn't the most perfect bead, but guess what... I think I love it!
I can't wait to wear it. I will save it always as my treasured "gotta get out of this rut" bead.
I guess once I let go and convinced myself not to worry about it so much... it just happened.
I know I should practice right now while it's fresh in my head... but for the sake of not ruining a good feeling... I'm going to leave it alone for the night.

For those of you who are experienced... do you remember what it was like being a fairly new beadmaker... not completely confident... and feeling like I was earlier in the week... like nothing would go your way.... and the feeling you got when it just 'happened' for you. I wish I could hold on to this feeling forever!

Thanks for listening to me, everyone!
Joanna

Old 2006-02-05, 3:51pm

Kandice... yes indeed! Letting go.. is the answer.
It sounds like you didn't receive my THANK YOU pm.
I really appreciate you taking the time to answer all my questions and everything. Sorry if you didn't get it as I ALWAYS say thank you for the help. As soon as I can, I will post a pic. My digital is down, but will scan from work next week.
*waves bye bye... *
My kid needs snacks for the supy bowl!
TTFN!
joanna
Old 2006-02-05, 6:46pm

(((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))

Old 2006-02-05, 6:57pm

Pictures!!!

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2006-02-05, 7:26pm

Default Just a thought

I mentionned this on S&T (my first - last Tues I think.) I decided to work on dots again the other day, because I wasn't expecting much that day - uninspired, and decided to try Uroboros for a change because I had good success with Bullseye pinks last week (just used BE to get pink Valentine hearts, and was pleasantly surprised by the ease of working it in my HH with 1 lb Mapp.) My eureka afternoon was that the Uroboros was much easier for me to control dot placement than the 104 coe. The stiffer 96 (or Bullseye 90) do melt more slowly, but if you are working on fairly sm beads with smaller dots, you will probably see that it's easier. Kalera's Bridgetown Glass sell both by the rod and she has special odd lots of Bullseye, because she picks it out at the BE factory. Service is very fast too. http://bridgetownglass.com/

Personally, so far I find both of these glasses to be smoother flowing - not as "sticky" as some of the softer transparents, and more consistent - just what you want when practicing!

The new Dots book is full of specific tips as well! Think I've read it 3X now.

Last edited by Vicki B.; 2006-02-05 at 7:29pm.
Old 2006-02-05, 10:15pm
Hole Challenged

I know it has already been said but the trick to a nice flower is to melt the dots in s-l-o-w-l-y. The base bead needs to stay stiff while the dots melt in. I normally tell people to flash the dots for about 3 seconds and then move on to the next flower. Not sure how that would translate to a HH though. If the base is glowing very much you are working the dots too hot.

I thought your floral bead was very pretty. You are VERY close to achieving what you want.

Old 2006-02-06, 2:49pm

Hi Melodie! thanks for the reply.
I didn't post my floral on here yet, you may have been looking at someone elses.
Thanks for the tips on the dots... I had an epiphany over the weekend and things are looking better for me! I will keep practicing.
And yes, it is harder on a HH.
I cannot wait til I get my new torch!

Guess what everyone... I went and got my camera fixed today.
I'm hoping to have time tonight to take some good ones and post here tomorrow.
I think you'll be proud of me!
Joanna
Old 2006-02-07, 8:49am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLC Beads
Pictures!!!

Here ya go...
Now, these might look like a scrambled up mess to you ....
but I am happy with them and feeling much better about my stringer control.
THANKS to everyone who offered advice and just listened!
Joanna

Old 2006-02-07, 8:50am

Bad picture taking... I know... I know....
Just got my camera fixed and need to practice a LOT on the pic taking.
But you get the idea.
Joanna
Old 2006-02-07, 9:59am
Student of DachZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki B.
Personally, so far I find both of these glasses to be smoother flowing - not as "sticky" as some of the softer transparents, and more consistent - just what you want when practicing!
They also don't scum or devit nearly as easily as 104 COE. I'm still working my way through a sample pack, but so far I'm very impressed.

Old 2006-02-07, 8:30pm

"scrambled up mess" ? Joanna, pu-leeez, I think they look awesome!

I haven't even attempted anything so detailed, but I can tell you right now, if I did.........they wouldn't look anywhere near as great as those!! Don't you dare give up on florals!!