LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-05-10, 5:04pm

Default Newbie Here! What hand to hold the mandrel in?

This is my first post but probably not my last!

I have only used the torch twice, once during the class over 2 years ago and again about 3 weeks ago. It seems I held the mandrel in my left hand and the glass in my right during the class.

3 weeks ago when I finally got back to use the open torch time at Bullseye I asked the instructor what hand to hold the mandrel in and she said she is right handed and she holds the mandrel in her right and the glass in her left.

If you are right handed, what hand do you hold the glass in?

I have torch time again tomorrow.

Thanks!

Tamara
Joyful Creations
www.creationsbytjk.com
Old 2006-05-10, 5:24pm
ManBearPig

Whichever feels comfortable. I hold the mandrel in my left hand when I'm applying the glass to it, and switch it to my right hand for shaping.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
•
•
•
Old 2006-05-10, 5:50pm
dances with ideas...

Hmmm... I'm right handed and hold the glass in my right hand. But when I'm shaping, I switch back and forth between hands. I agree with Chad--whatever feels best.

Old 2006-05-10, 7:57pm
maybe tomorrow

Of course do what feels most comfortable, but I think that most people hold the rod in their dominant hand so they will have more control when applying the glass. I'd think this would be especially important to anyone doing detail work.

I'm right handed, and if I'm using shaping tools after I've got the glass on the mandrel, I then usually switch to hold the mandrel in my right hand and hold the tool in my left.

Old 2006-05-10, 8:15pm

so I made my first two beads today. I went out and bought some mandrels. This may seem like a dumb question, but how do I get the bead off the mandrel???
Old 2006-05-10, 8:38pm
Cancer SUCKS!

Default ruh roh

You need to purchase bead release!

If you didn't put bead release on the mandrel, you are now the proud owner of plant stakes.

Many places sell bead release.

Deb in MN
Old 2006-05-10, 8:39pm

Bead release?
Old 2006-05-10, 8:52pm
Cancer SUCKS!

Default a link

Here ya go http://www.alicesstainedglass.com/release.htm

There are many different kinds of bead release. You need to dip your mandrels in the bead release and let dry before you put glass on your mandrel. This allows your beads to come off.

Deb in MN
Old 2006-05-11, 6:25am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Jipt
Bead release?
I'm figuring you're using boro, right?

If so, I like either Foster Fire (regular formula, NOT the boro formula) or Sludge Plus bead release. Those are the ones I have had the most luck with.

•
•
•
Old 2006-05-11, 8:28am

Thanks, I think I'll put beadmaking on the back burner for now. I didn't know I needed bead release and I think all my funds are going towards rent, a kiln, and a tool shed to set up a workshop in.
Old 2006-05-11, 9:39am
ManBearPig

Just make some blown beads. That's pretty much all I make these days. I only use mandrels when I'm teaching...

•
•
•
Old 2006-05-11, 12:15pm

What's the difference? I made a dread beads, I just used smaller diameter tubing and did a raked design on it but just blow both ends open. Is that what you're talking about?
Old 2006-05-12, 9:24am
Crazy, but happy

hi Tamara,

I'm righthanded with most things, but when making beads, I hold the mandrel in my right hand and the rods in my left. Usually I even apply dots and things that way, but sometimes I switch. Like the others said, try both ways and you'll soon enough feel what works best for you.

Karin

Don't hate yourself in the morning, sleep till noon.
Old 2006-05-12, 9:34am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Jipt
What's the difference? I made a dread beads, I just used smaller diameter tubing and did a raked design on it but just blow both ends open. Is that what you're talking about?
Yep. Same thing. That way you don't need mandrels at all.

•
•
•
Old 2006-05-12, 9:42am

You can still make pendants too. I was taught that you hold the mandrel in your left hand and apply glass with your right hand. I had the hardest time turning evenly with my left hand, but I stuck with it and now it's no big deal.
With tubing I was taught to hold the open tube (blow side) in your right hand, it's easier to get it to your mouth. But switch hands to apply glass. Anyone else learn like this?

Old 2006-05-12, 11:14am
Crazy, but happy

what are blown beads and how do you make them??

Karin

Don't hate yourself in the morning, sleep till noon.
Old 2006-05-12, 7:43pm

Blown beads are made I guess more similar to a bat pipe design.