Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-03-08, 11:17am
Hobby Junkie

Default boro murrini

I've made a ton of 104 murrini, from striped canes to complex fish. Recently I've become "boro absorbed". I've almost always worked all COEs of glass equally but I've noticed that I haven't used soft glass in over a month. I want to make some boro murrini to use in some glass earrings (and small gauge plugs).

Does anyone here make boro murrini? Are there differences from 104 (other than glass stiffness) that I need to be aware of???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-03-08, 5:24pm
Borovangelist

The glass just tends to be stiffer over all. The only murrini I've made were some simple radiation symbols.

There's some pictures of them in here: http://munkinarts.com/blog/2010/06/29/been-busy/

|
|
Old 2011-03-09, 12:36am

www.dichroicimagery.com sells boro murrini.
Old 2011-03-09, 5:06am
Hobby Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirrakat123 View Post
www.dichroicimagery.com sells boro murrini.
Thanks! I know. I like to make my own.

Old 2011-03-09, 5:49am
Glassmangler

As you've guessed, the stiffness is the big issue. I preheat my optic molds in the kiln so that the glass doesn't cool down quite so fast.

Old 2011-03-09, 6:21am
Hobby Junkie

Thanks for the tip about preheating molds, Jester! Those murrini are wonderful. Very colorful!

Old 2011-03-09, 8:00am
Pyromaniac

Chayes makes gorgeous murrini too!
Take a look at this.
His phone number is listed in post #12 on that thread.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2011-03-09, 10:32am
I speak Murrini!

Wish I had some advice for 'ya Cori. But like you, I'm much more familiar with he workings of 104 and have never worked with boro. Gotta say there's some beautiful murrini shown in Lana's link to murrini made by Chayes...but if I'm hearing you correctly, you're wanting to make more "image" styles than millifiori (floral) types...maybe along the lines of faces, critters, etc. Is that so?

I will admit to being totally jealous of the "honeycomb" murrini shown in that link to Chayes' stuff...it makes me wish I did boro.

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2011-03-09, 11:01am
Hobby Junkie

Chayes's murrini is really cool!

I'll definitely have to give it a go this weekend. I like patterns, but I like pics better. Maybe I'll try a few of my "doodle" style in boro. Hearts and flowers usually aren't too bad. Maybe I'll even try a skull of two.

Old 2011-03-09, 11:21am
put a bird on it

I have some of Chad's skulls - they are wicked cool! I can't wait to see what you do, Cori, good luck!
Old 2011-03-09, 2:54pm

you can make some cool stuff with boro, but you won't get the kind of life like realism that you can do with 104. for starters keep your murrini small, as they can get tough to pull if they get too big. why not try a signature cane first and see how it goes?

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2011-03-10, 7:52am
Formerly Bakerman44

i need to try a signature cane for funzies..i just made 4 different colored flower canes im ready to implode. some two layers, some 3. now that i have the feel for how stiff it is, i want to try some shapes.

Old 2011-03-11, 5:17am
Glassmangler

I have a bunch of CHayes milli as well, they're nice!