No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2010-04-27, 8:40pm
Wendy

Default I tiled my workspace!

Last weekend I decided to try my hand at tiling the top of my work area. My dh had installed metal sheet on it for me when I first started but it wasn't stainless and it had started to rust with my studio space being in the garage.

Went to Home Depot, got a mini class in the tile aisle (thanks Sam!) and off to the house I went. I followed Sam's instructions, learned a ton of stuff about how it all works and am really happy with my work area now.

I feel like I'm torching like a grown up! Silly I know but I'm sure lots of you understand that feeling. I used 2x2 ceramic tiles on it and my dh helped me with installing the trim molding around the edges of it. Painted the trim a gloss white and now you can hardly tell it's a Craftsman Metal workbench anymore, right?

Here are a few pics of it.

Here's a closeup of the tile and trim between coats of paint on the trim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
... Although that's probably part of what makes an artist a true artist.. you create things that you like and then wonder if anyone else could possibly like them without having seen the rest of the story that's still in your head. ~Me
Old 2010-04-27, 8:46pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

that is so cool!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-04-27, 11:16pm
MacGalver

Looks great!

Jo

Old 2010-04-28, 4:07am
Wendy

Thanks! Next up I've got my eye on a drafting style chair with casters on it.

Quote:
... Although that's probably part of what makes an artist a true artist.. you create things that you like and then wonder if anyone else could possibly like them without having seen the rest of the story that's still in your head. ~Me
Old 2010-04-28, 4:08am
BeadsonCypress

Very nice! Yep looks really professional!

I have some 12 x 12 tiles under my kiln that are just laying on a plywood sheet. I also have a 12 x 12 piece of black granite (?) under my torch 'cause it helps me see the flame better (vision challenged)...

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2010-04-28, 6:36am

Looks great!

Linda
Old 2010-04-28, 6:46am

That's awesome!
Old 2010-04-28, 7:04am
Somewhat out there!

Bet it makes it more fun to torch. Every time I change something around I seem to get a new burst of creativity. ( at least I want to call it that) Very nice set up.
Old 2010-04-28, 10:23am
Wendy

I'm looking forward to some torch time tonight. It would have been today but I'm waiting for the HVAC people to come figure out why their system has died... again.

Quote:
Old 2010-04-28, 10:33am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Wow! You did a GREAT job!!! Now dump a ton of glass on top of
it so it looks like a REAL workspace .

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2010-04-28, 10:38am
Wendy

LOL! I'm workin' on it I promise!

Quote:
Old 2010-04-28, 11:26am
I'm meeeeelting

Nice!

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2010-04-28, 11:49am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejeangirlnc View Post
Thanks! Next up I've got my eye on a drafting style chair with casters on it.
Let me know where you find because I'm looking for one, too. Thanks. I love the new studio looks. I'm trying, but there's not much to do with a dark dungeon. (basement)

Last edited by blr2449; 2010-04-28 at 11:51am. Reason: Additional
Old 2010-04-28, 12:21pm
Wendy

Barb, I'm hoping to find one with metal casters because it will be on our garage floor (concrete) and I was thinking maybe the metal casters would last longer? They have them on walmart's online store but I'm hoping to find some at office max or one of the other office supply stores locally because I'd like to sit in it first if at all possible.

Right now I'm using a craftsman hydraulic stool which works fine but doesn't have casters and is a little light in the seat padding department (basically you're sitting on a tiny bit of batting over some plywood).

Quote:
Old 2010-04-28, 12:59pm

That workspace is great!
It is nice having it so organized & sparkly clean. . .for now.
Old 2010-04-28, 1:04pm

Very nice. I like.

Minor
Old 2010-04-28, 1:36pm
GlassDocNC

That looks great!
Old 2010-04-28, 2:51pm

look at salvation army/goodwill type stores for old office chairs with wheels. We also have a used office supply store in town- check your yellow pages! I got a great one for $5, and don't care if the seat ends up with holes.
Your new tile looks great! How fun!
Old 2010-04-28, 4:02pm
Formerly Thetabird

Looks great. Don't you love how one project spawns more! Donna

How I lost 50 lbs

Old 2010-04-28, 4:34pm

That is such a nice space. It just seems so warm and inviting.
Old 2010-04-28, 5:24pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejeangirlnc View Post
Barb, I'm hoping to find one with metal casters because it will be on our garage floor (concrete) and I was thinking maybe the metal casters would last longer? They have them on walmart's online store but I'm hoping to find some at office max or one of the other office supply stores locally because I'd like to sit in it first if at all possible.

Right now I'm using a craftsman hydraulic stool which works fine but doesn't have casters and is a little light in the seat padding department (basically you're sitting on a tiny bit of batting over some plywood).
My basement floor is cement and my torch is attached to a 'bit over waist high' workbench. I'm using an old metal stool without casters. I'd like to find one with because it just doesn't scoot well over the floor. I saw that Craftsman stool in Sears. It's the height of uncomfortable.

Old 2010-04-29, 4:13pm
Wendy

I made beads at my newly tiled workbench last night! The tile makes a big difference just in placing rods and stringers on the bench and not having them roll around.

Quote:
Old 2010-07-07, 4:53pm
Wendy

I finally managed to buy a chair for the workbench that I LOVE! Ordered this one from Overstock: http://www.overstock.com/Office-Furn...cid=95138&fp=f

When I was looking for one on their site I noticed that one had been given a positive review by another glass bead artist and the price seemed really reasonable. It's soooo much better than my Craftsman adjustable stool I'd been using!

Quote:
Old 2010-07-07, 6:46pm

Looks Fantastic !!!!!

Old 2010-07-08, 5:40am
Addicted since 06/24/2010

Hello from a fellow NC-er!

That tile looks great! I'm jealous. I'm hoping to build a reasonable workspace this Fall with a new shed in my back yard, complete with A/C. These NC summers are too hot for a lampwork newbie like me to be working outdoors with a hot torch. *pant*

Very nice beads, too!
Old 2010-07-08, 6:56am
Wendy

Thanks! This past week has definitely been a test of how much heat is too much for me with my studio in the garage with no AC. I'm surviving it but will be glad for a break sometime soon.

Quote: