Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2023-02-25, 1:40am

Question Using a chef's torch for lampwork

I'm a beginner looking to finally get started making some small beads and small off-mandrel figurines. Just for personal enjoyment. I might send them off to be batch annealed. Anyways, my issue is that I rent a condo for now, so I don't feel comfortable using a propane/oxygen set up obviously or a HH. I live in a rural area, so no rental studio space, shared artist spaces or lampwork classes.

I found this video where an artist used a chef's torch (butane) to do some really cool pieces: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhAh...uraQuinnDesign

Is this a viable way for me to dip my feet in? Obviously it's much less versatile, but I'm dying to at least get started melting some glass!
Old 2023-02-25, 9:46am

You absolutely can use a chef's torch to do this but it will be extremely slow. You won't be able to make very big pieces because the torch just won't put off enough ambient heat to keep a larger piece from shattering. I don't think the chef's torch would be any safer than a Hot Head, but your cost would be significantly lower. I used a Hot Head for about seven years before getting a Minor. It served very well.
Old 2023-02-25, 1:31pm
MacGalver

What ESC said! Going slow in the beginning can be a very good way to understand how the glass wants to behave. Go for it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2023-02-28, 7:04pm

So I'm not sure how much, or if any, glass.you have on hand, but that person is using stringers, not rods. You can buy them premade. And for what it's worth, I've bent stringers with a candle. Just bends, nothing fancy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.