No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-05-21, 11:37pm

Default Silver glass thin line reaction

Hi all,

I know that I saw the answer to this somewhere in the world, but now I have no idea where.

How do I get the silver glass reaction that results in a thing yellow line outlining the color? I'm trying to achieve this with a silver glass on clear. Is it the wrong clear? Has my long search for a non-reactive clear finally backfired on me? Does it only work with some silver glasses? Any ideas?

Thank you!
Old 2013-05-23, 12:27pm
Marble Lover

Interesting question. I'd like to hear the answer if anyone knows.

-BEP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-05-23, 1:13pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bepnewt View Post
Interesting question. I'd like to hear the answer if anyone knows.

-BEP
Hey Brian, whose car is in the avitar.
Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

e-mail:
Old 2013-05-23, 1:40pm
Marble Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Hey Brian, whose car is in the avitar.
Bob
It's mine. More info in PM so I don't detract from this thread.

-BEP
Old 2013-05-23, 3:14pm
Lizard rescue squad

Do you have an example photo that we can see?

Old 2013-05-23, 3:18pm
Tweedle Dumb

I've gotten a yellow outline around Triton when I use it on dark ivory and heat it up pretty good.

Never got a yellow line on clear though.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2013-05-24, 12:09am

these are the 2 beads that sparked my question...

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/uploadedimages.php?

viewid=287656http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/uploadedimages.php?viewid=287657
Old 2013-05-24, 12:11am

these are the 2 beads that sparked my question...

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/uploadedimages.php?

editorid=vB_Editor_001#http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/up...vB_Editor_001#
Old 2013-05-24, 12:32am

I'm no expert but the first one looks a bit stormed (search AKDesigns for more storming/webbing), the second one looks like the yellow is raked on, have made the links clickable below

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/up...?viewid=287656

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/up...?viewid=287657
Old 2013-05-24, 6:01am

Well, those links are to my beads! Which ones are you looking at and I can try to recall what I did?

Scorpion with 2 Regalia's on NG
Old 2013-05-24, 6:03am
Tweedle Dumb

I think that link just automatically goes to a person's photos here on LE. It linked to my beads, too.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2013-05-24, 6:08am

LOL! OK. I'm a dork!

I looked at the other two links to beads though. Are you looking for the reaction on the darker color on the second bead? Could it be silver plum? Silver plum does some strange things all by itself.

Scorpion with 2 Regalia's on NG
Old 2013-05-24, 6:46am
Rose colored glasses…√

It's DH Psyche and another silver glass that when they touch make that line I'm fairly certain you're talking about. I just can't remember what the other glass was, at the moment.

Pretty sure you also get this line with Psyche on Triton, but here's the thread you're looking for:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...he#post2991390

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...

Last edited by chrissij; 2013-05-24 at 7:04am.
Old 2013-05-24, 8:11am

well clearly i've never posted a picture on this site before and failed miserably... thank you all for your help!
Old 2013-05-24, 8:39am
da General

Precision 104 Black Pearl or the discontinued GTG Black Nebulae both create the outline you are looking for.

|
|
|
|
Old 2013-05-24, 10:44am

I have noticed that psyche will make that line on CIM's Sangre if you reduce it slowly, burn off the reduction and reduce it again. Might take a couple of burn offs though.

My Etsy:

My Ebay:
Old 2013-05-24, 11:51am
Jacqueline Parkes

I think you msged me about this earlier and I could not recall how I got the reaction before. Reading this thread has jogged my memory a bit. There is a lampworker on Ebay ( sorry I have forgotten her name ) who I contacted some years ago to ask the same question. She had those lovely lines throughout her beads. It is silver glass on clear BUT ............I could only get very distinctive lines when I was working a hothead torch.

This is what I remember anyways...................I hope I got this right......I had a great reaction with a set of beads on Etsy which I sold eons ago. I will go back to see if I can bring the picture here.

I love the reaction as well. I do remember msging Double Helix to ask them about this as well but I don't quite remember the response. This is going back quite a few years....

Old 2013-05-24, 11:58am
Jacqueline Parkes

Btw , the two beads you linked to were created by the designer I spoke to on Ebay years ago. We spoke about this quite a bit but I never fully solved the mystery. I really do suspect the hothead deserves the credit.

Embarrassing to post these older beads but oh wells. They do show I was able to get those lines easily.

Last edited by gemsinbloom; 2013-05-24 at 12:29pm.
Old 2013-05-24, 12:04pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I remember now! You simply reduce the silver glass and apply clear.....If you do not fully cover the silver glass with clear, where the clear and silver glass meets, there will be a line. Of course......I know this when I create pleats with silver glass.................so you can use this reaction with different applications.

Old 2013-05-24, 4:12pm

Thank you all so much... I won't get to play on the torch again till Sunday, but I will try all of these suggestions... we will see how successful I am! I just love the clean line and edging it gives... If the beads are at all acceptable, I will post them Monday...
Old 2013-05-24, 4:52pm
Ooh - I could use that!

Those effects are gorgeous! I just received a silver glass sampler. Now I have an idea of what to try.

Laura
Old 2013-05-24, 9:06pm

Thank you Fionac for fixing that. I had the same reaction as others. "That's my bead". Ha, ha, ha. The pictures were of silver beads too.
Old 2013-05-24, 9:10pm

Jackie, what's the embarrassment? They are gorgeous beads.
Old 2013-05-25, 8:58am
Jacqueline Parkes

Well thanks, I am actually now inspired to see if I can get similar results again.

Old 2013-05-25, 9:16am

Don't know why you're embarrassed. Those are fantastic!

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2013-05-25, 11:29am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctiflore1 View Post
well clearly i've never posted a picture on this site before and failed miserably... thank you all for your help!
hi friends - these are very old beads of mine - the first is only intenseblack stringer on white and some green frit - and the second is silverfoil with an old EDP - that make this lines - with the new formular I canīt get this anymore...
I hope this helps
greetings from Munich

Old 2013-05-29, 12:07am
Naysayer

I believe you since you made them, but I would never ever guess intense black on white with green for #1, and edp for the second? Wow!

Yep I want to try this now with the tips given
Old 2013-05-30, 1:56am

Aw, man, I was so flattered when I thought you were posting a link to my beads, lol!

Old 2013-05-30, 1:38pm

The link was to my fusing. I wonder how that happened, you probably could not do it again if you tried.
Bob

e-mail:

Tags
clear, reaction, reactive, reduction, silver glass, thin line, yellow line