Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2008-04-21, 4:25pm

Default Packing Materials

Is there anything else that the glass vendors could use besides styro popcorn? I know that glass is breakable, and we want to receive the rods and peices whole. I hate styro popcorn. It is bad for the enviroment, birds etc and very messy. Everytime I receive some I feel so guilty. Does anyone use the biodegradable kind that melts in water? We used to use that when I worked for The Nature Company. And it worked well.
Old 2008-04-21, 4:37pm
I need more boro stuff

Bridgetown is using shredded newspaper
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-04-21, 4:47pm

Good for them! Maybe there is hope.
Old 2008-04-21, 4:55pm

I always recycle mine for anything I ship back out. You can see if anyone in your area reuses them?

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2008-04-21, 5:58pm

There are peanuts that are made out of starch and dissolve in water.

Lou
Old 2008-04-21, 6:04pm

I reuse as much packing materials as I can, including the styrofoam peanuts and bubblewrap.

If I have to buy new packing materials, I buy the EcoFoam (starch based peanuts that dissolve in water).

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2008-04-21, 6:08pm
Elphaba Lives !!

I donate all that I receive to one of the local UPS packing stores. They are thrilled to get them. I take the shipping labels off the package and give them box and all.

Kathy

Old 2008-04-21, 7:00pm

I use newspaper ends from a local printer. I also do re-use peanuts from packages I get which accounts for the rainbow packages some people get
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I do have quite a few people that let me know they like peanuts or paper in their comments and I make sure to accomodate them if I can. I always have paper - I don't buy peanuts but I have been known to pick them up form local companies that don't recycle them when I get a request
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Do you make purple hearts? Let me know in your order and I'll send you free purple glass!
Old 2008-04-21, 8:22pm
Calendar Girl

Quote:
Is there anything else that the glass vendors could use besides styro popcorn? I know that glass is breakable, and we want to receive the rods and peices whole. I hate styro popcorn. It is bad for the enviroment, birds etc and very messy. Everytime I receive some I feel so guilty. Does anyone use the biodegradable kind that melts in water? We used to use that when I worked for The Nature Company. And it worked well.
I totally agree. The last time I got glass, it was a dry cold day and there was a lot of static electricity. It took 4EVER to clean up and get rid of the styro. There's got to be a better way...

Old 2008-04-21, 8:29pm
Disconnected

ditto here! I like the newspaper option, it gives me stuff to read about exotic places like California
)

Old 2008-04-21, 9:42pm
HOt WArm COld = Howaco

Peanuts are not fun. I have my arms covered in them daily. All the supplies I receive come shipped in peanuts, so the majority of what I ship out is in peanuts already recycled. Any UPS location will take them. There are lots of other companies that will take them too. I don't consider them horrible unless they go to the landfills. Just keep recycling them.

I tried the disolving peanuts. Because I wash all my glass and because I wash my hands alot because of handling packing materials and boxes, the moisture on my hands made the disolving peanuts sticky and well, sticky icky!

I also tried the shreaded newspaper. It was dirty and it added lots of extra weight to the package. For shipping in the US, it was not to bad unless it was going across country, then it makes a difference, but on foreign package, it was just way to expensive for the additional weight.

I am ALL for any better ideas. I have to vacuum every single day, sometimes twice a day to keep those little buggers from flying around and getting where they are not supposed to get. Any other ideas are very, very welcome!

Old 2008-04-21, 9:45pm

The weight is a good point - I suck it up and pay the shipping for the extra weight - but I do tend to use peanuts for International packages where the difference is much higher. I do the same if the package has a whole lot of empty space to fill - it goes higher on my peanuts list.
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Do you make purple hearts? Let me know in your order and I'll send you free purple glass!
Old 2008-04-22, 1:34am

One place I order from uses the bags of air. It's still plastic, but I can puncture them and recycle them, and they don't have the static electricity problem. Another place I ordered some glass jars from used documents they had shredded. I thought that was a great way to recycle!

Old 2008-04-22, 3:42am

I don't have to send out packages except maybe gifts for my parents at Christmas time and for birthdays but when I do send them something I use my plastic grocery bags. When they receive their gifts then they take the bags to the recycle bins at the store or reuse them to send me packages. I know it does'nt help for people who send out alot of packages but its an idea for accasional packages.

My Facebook
Old 2008-04-22, 7:17pm

I got a glass delivery from a famous glass supplier, and the peanuts were everywhere. I think they mate! Plus static is strong here so they cling to everything. The starch based ones would melt if they get in the road or in a landfill and still be reused. I think rodents like them though. I can understand about the extra weight of newspapers. The plastic bags were used by a company I used to work for, but like Rachel said, they are still plastic. i strongly believe that the odors given off by styro are toxic and causing a lot more problems than we even know.

It's great to hear about everyone recycling here. I save mine too, to recycle. But now that I know I can drop them off at ups, I'll do that.
Old 2008-04-22, 9:30pm

Well you can imagine what my living room carpet looks like. That's where I pack!
So far all of my peanuts have beeen recycled but the bubble wrap I buy new.
I wish there was a better way too...

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-04-25, 11:14am

I remember dealing with a company a few years back who packed items in plain popped popcorn. The idea was that you could toss it out to feed the birds and squirrels so nothing went to waste.