Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2013-04-21, 12:16pm

Default Fuming with liquid gold

HyperT messaged me about a liquid lustre gold that you can fume on to glass. I bought some and tried it using different methods. The first pic is a kind of baseline. It is real gold in a tube implosion.
The second is an implosion that I fumed with the liquid gold.
The third pic is an implosion that I painted, then annealed a maria before I imploding it.
The forth is fumed with liquid gold, the fumed with silver.

The painted maria(3rd pic) is my least favorite.
HyperT, thanks for the info on the lustre gold.
Dave
Attached Images

Old 2013-04-21, 1:11pm

really cool. I like all of them and probably the last pix the least (only cause I prefer the wispy, translucent look)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-04-21, 3:22pm
Dakine glass man

Can you post a link as to where to purchase. I have a small bottle that I inherited that's almost 20 years old and I believe that manufacturer doesn't exhist anymore and I'm about to run out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lampwork by John Lindquist
Old 2013-04-21, 3:46pm

Do you know what the "base liquid" for this product is?
Old 2013-04-21, 4:49pm

Here is the link for the liquid gold. It's $30.00 for 2gm.

http://www.bigceramicstore.com/suppl...cs-Lusters.htm
Old 2013-04-21, 4:53pm
Borovangelist

I tried to fume with liquid gold once, but keeping it molten was tough. *ba dum dum*

|
|
Old 2013-04-21, 6:13pm
hyperT

The gold is disolved in organic solvents. It is brushed on. It is basically fired in your kill on the end a piece of rod at anything above 500 F. You can then use the rod to fume with, holding the gold closer to the flame and the piece to be fumed out further in the flame. An oxidizing fire works best. A little bit of this goes a long way. DO NOT breath the fumes when firing the gold on in your kiln, beside it really stinks when firing. Ventilate Ventilate Ventilate. Silver is very poisonous to fume with. It can stay in your work area for a month. A lot of old silver smiths died from silver poisoning.
Glad you got it working Dave.

Last edited by hyperT; 2013-04-21 at 6:44pm.
Old 2013-04-21, 6:19pm
hyperT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui Greenstone View Post
Can you post a link as to where to purchase. I have a small bottle that I inherited that's almost 20 years old and I believe that manufacturer doesn't exhist anymore and I'm about to run out.
Didn't Duncan tell you about this stuff? He and I have used it for years? Yes you are right Hanovia is out of bizz but there are other places you can buy it from Search the net, and a lot ceramic shops sell it too. Oddly enough Duncan Ceramics Company sells it.

Last edited by hyperT; 2013-04-21 at 6:22pm.
Old 2013-04-21, 6:42pm
hyperT

Default Liquid Gold Fuming

Gold Fumed. None of these are cased, the gold was fumed directly onto the glass.

1. The earrings have a heavier coating. This color is know as Purple Of Cassious and has been around for centuries.

2. The other two roses are also fumed the way I described, but a bit lighter coating of gold. This renders Cranberry Glass.

3. The leaf and thorn are gold lustre fired on in the kill. This is a Thermo-Chemical Plating Process

4. You can get a lot of other colors by casing the glass.
Attached Images

Old 2013-04-22, 3:00am
Serenity Now!

Oooooh - nice!

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2013-04-25, 10:28am
Fire and Fluidity

Very nice work hyperT. Love the pink flowers. But do your research about "silver poisoning" killing people, that is inaccurate info.

"It all depends on how you look at things" said the Churkendoose.

Old 2013-04-25, 12:22pm
hyperT

I like it when my skin and tongue turn black and blue

Silver Very high doses: hemorrhage, bone marrow suppression, pulmonary edema, hepatorenal necrosis Argyria: blue-grey discoloration of skin, nails, and mucosae.