Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-01-05, 10:21am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Bumping this so I can find it easier.
Old 2011-01-05, 6:31pm

Default Tables

First - What a wonderful thing you have done for us!
Question - I am using runtime and am wondering if I can work from tables? I have used Access 2000 since it came out and find I can get my work done faster in tables than forms. Thanks!!!
PegC
Old 2011-01-05, 6:44pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Hey Deb - I emailed you a couple of weeks ago but never heard back from you - do you know if you got an email from me? sigridhi?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-01-05, 6:55pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg10yr View Post
First - What a wonderful thing you have done for us!
Question - I am using runtime and am wondering if I can work from tables? I have used Access 2000 since it came out and find I can get my work done faster in tables than forms. Thanks!!!
PegC
you'll need to upgrade to Access 2010 - its got some cool new features so its worth the upgrade

in saying that though, i designed this to run from the forms, if you work in the tables you will really need to know what you're doing (you sound like you do ) or you'll corrupt the queries and the forms

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-01-05, 6:57pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Hey Deb - I emailed you a couple of weeks ago but never heard back from you - do you know if you got an email from me? sigridhi?
the last email i have from you is 17/12

Hi Deb,

I can't wait to run this through its paces )

Thanks!

Sigrid (Squid)

is there another one?

Old 2011-01-05, 7:06pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll have to look into the upgrade.
PegC
Old 2011-01-05, 7:11pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

No, that was it - I didn't realize until just now that you weren't emailing the file and it was available for download

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2011-01-05, 7:17pm
Unmedicated since '62

oh squid i'm so sorry!! are you telling me you've been waiting for it!!

i got like 300 requests, i did send most of them anyway but if there was no specific email asking for it i didnt cos there were so MANY!!

Old 2011-01-05, 7:19pm
Unmedicated since '62

i've just found an app for ipad that runs Access!!

i'm just testing it now

Old 2011-01-05, 7:20pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
oh squid i'm so sorry!! are you telling me you've been waiting for it!!

i got like 300 requests, i did send most of them anyway but if there was no specific email asking for it i didnt cos there were so MANY!!

no worries

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2011-01-05, 7:23pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post

no worries
jeez! talk about patient!! i would have been jumping up and down swearing by now!!

Old 2011-01-05, 7:54pm
new artist at midlife!

WhoooHooo! I got the document open! It looks amazing. I tried first with Open Office and it didn't work. Then I downloaded the Runtime thing, and it opened right up. I wonder if the RunTime is doing something in conjunction with the Open Office . . .in other words, I put the full Open Office on my computer just for this - can I take it off now?
Old 2011-01-05, 8:08pm
Unmedicated since '62

as far as i know it doesnt work with open office - if you've downloaded Access runtime then thats what its working with so open office is not needed so yes, you can take it off if you dont need it for anything else.

Old 2011-01-06, 5:02am
Unmedicated since '62

a couple of questions

regarding an order form - would you rather be able to just print it, or would it be better if you could export it to excel then print it?

same question re a list of what you have

Old 2011-01-06, 7:39am
Wonderland sounds fun...

Does anyone know if MS Office 2011 for mac has Access 2010? I want to be sure before I buy it as I can't find just Access 2010 for mac anywhere and I know noting about parallels, etc. I have a mac OSX.

*+.+*
C L E A R A N C E Sale in my Etsy *+.+*
Old 2011-01-06, 9:41am
Master Procrastinator

Deb, it would be great to be able to export to excel an inventory list & also be able to just print up labels. But if that's too much, just printing is great too.

Old 2011-01-06, 10:30am
aka Spawn Of Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBeth View Post
Does anyone know if MS Office 2011 for mac has Access 2010? I want to be sure before I buy it as I can't find just Access 2010 for mac anywhere and I know noting about parallels, etc. I have a mac OSX.
It does not.
Check out the list of what is in each version (Home & Student or Home & Buisiness) here: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products

ETA: as far as I know there is no version of Access that runs on the Mac OSX operating systems.

--
--
--

Last edited by rosemarie23; 2011-01-06 at 10:33am. Reason: add
Old 2011-01-06, 11:21am
new artist at midlife!

I would rather be able to print a list of what I have or need directly without going through Excel. It's kind of you to ask . . .it's amazing that you are able to figure all this stuff out and share it. I hope I can offer something of equal value one day . . . .
Old 2011-01-06, 3:04pm
Wonderland sounds fun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemarie23 View Post
It does not.
Check out the list of what is in each version (Home & Student or Home & Buisiness) here: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products

ETA: as far as I know there is no version of Access that runs on the Mac OSX operating systems.
THAT is SUCH a bummer!

*+.+*
C L E A R A N C E Sale in my Etsy *+.+*
Old 2011-01-06, 9:23pm
Can't you see I'm busy???

Finally had some time to play with StashMaster today - what an elegant app! Soo well designed.

Deb, when you decided to add the inventory number you must have been reading my mind. Cant wait for version 1.3!

Thanks for sharing this great tool, and for giving your time so generously to support it.

Pat
Old 2011-01-06, 9:33pm
Unmedicated since '62

thanks

Old 2011-01-06, 9:41pm

You are so welcome!!

In answer to your question, would love to be able to export the inventory to Excel for updating and then have a way to import the updates back from Excel.

Pat
Old 2011-01-06, 10:09pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassPuppy View Post
You are so welcome!!

In answer to your question, would love to be able to export the inventory to Excel for updating and then have a way to import the updates back from Excel.

Pat
hmm - you'll probably have to lash out and buy the full version of Access for that

Old 2011-01-07, 4:59am

Armed and dangerous - have Access 2010. You're right - it is much improved over 2007.

Pat
Old 2011-01-07, 7:13am

Just got Access 2010 too. Office Depot has it for $139. Well worth it.
Old 2011-01-07, 11:45am
The Andrea Half

Someone said that they could use Deb's amazing-sounding file with Open Office, but later Deb said it didn't work with OO. I haven't been able to open it on either computer; at home I use Linux/Open Office or (on the Netbook (WinXP / Open Office).

I strongly prefer open sources rather than proprietary applications, so I don't use Microsoft much. (A DB setup like this is a different issue--if I can get it working I will be *more* than happy to contribute to Deb's oxycon fund as a THANK YOU for her knowledge, expertise, generosity, and sheer hard work).

Old 2011-01-07, 12:07pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourTailsLampwork View Post
Someone said that they could use Deb's amazing-sounding file with Open Office, but later Deb said it didn't work with OO. I haven't been able to open it on either computer; at home I use Linux/Open Office or (on the Netbook (WinXP / Open Office).

I strongly prefer open sources rather than proprietary applications, so I don't use Microsoft much. (A DB setup like this is a different issue--if I can get it working I will be *more* than happy to contribute to Deb's oxycon fund as a THANK YOU for her knowledge, expertise, generosity, and sheer hard work).
if you dont want to buy Access then just download the runtime version from MS - there is a link back at the beginning of the thread, it works fine with that, you just cant make any changes to the underlying tables yourself

Old 2011-01-07, 12:15pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassPuppy View Post
Armed and dangerous - have Access 2010. You're right - it is much improved over 2007.

Pat
Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
Just got Access 2010 too. Office Depot has it for $139. Well worth it.
Brilliant!!with the full version you can play much much more, you can tweek and change the app to suit your own uses, you can download and play with the data in excel, you can create new forms for other things you may want to do, print reports - heaps of things

this could end up like an open source application - other people could write new features and we could share!

Old 2011-01-07, 12:18pm
The Andrea Half

Well, the Netbook is a Windows machine, so I will try on that one. Just tried the runtime version using WINE, and it crashed and burned. If I do need to make any changes, I can always use a university machine and then run the program on the Netbook. Sigh.

Old 2011-01-07, 12:21pm
Unmedicated since '62

it should work fine on XP???!!!