View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Retro Bead Liner 27 21.26%
Jim Moore Bead Liner 82 64.57%
I think manually lining provides nicer results. 18 14.17%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-02-16, 3:12pm
Ezzy

Default Bead Liner

What would you buy? Do you have any thoughts on one being more versatile than the other? Easier? Sturdier? Is there anything about your beadliner that you don't like?

I'm ready to order one and would appreciate any comments that might direct me towards the right one for me.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Old 2008-02-16, 3:31pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

You may have already seen this, but it's got some great information on the 2 bead liners.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=67095

Vivian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-02-16, 9:44pm
Ezzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivianLampwork View Post
You may have already seen this, but it's got some great information on the 2 bead liners.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=67095
That thread is amazing and I've subscribed to it for a number of months. Thanks for reminding us about it.

I already know which tool I'm leaning towards. I understand how the Retro tool works but I'm not so sure about Jim Moore's tool even after reading about it. I like the way his looks, rather substantial and able withstand a lot but someone said something in that thread that lead me to believe it might be difficult to operate. And while I've read all the posts, in many cases more than once, I wanted to post a poll, it's just easier information for me to process.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Old 2008-02-16, 11:15pm

There is a video on jim moore's site showing it in use. It works like a drill press. Handle on the side you just pull down on.

michey
Old 2008-02-16, 11:23pm
I speak Murrini!

Annie:

I did a lot of research before I purchased, too. I think they are both wonderful for their purposes....

The Retro Tool is an absolute work of art in and of itself, and has a very convenient box to carry it around in, which would be especially helpful if you intend to teach, use it for demonstrations, or take it on the road to use when at shows and such. The Retro Tool flares both sides of the tube at once, which I believe takes a bit of practice to master, but in essence takes less time to complete the rivets.

The Jim Moore Tool is a very meat-and-potatoes tool, simple in design and substantial in weight. It has holes drilled in the base portion of the tool itself so it can be bolted directly to your work bench, which I think adds to it's stability. The Moore Tool flares one end at a time, which takes longer to complete the riveting process, but may aid in terms of customizing your finished piece - in essence, the fact that you have to work one side first, then the other, gives you more control over the finished rivets.

One important difference - and the one that determined my choice - was the "directional" element of how the rivets are flared. If you intend to put "end caps" on your beads as well as rivets, if there is much of a variation in the size of the tube versus the size of the hole in the end cap - and since the Retro Tool holds the entire bead/end cap/tube assembly SIDEWAYS in order to flare the rivets - the holes in the END CAPS must be a pretty tight fit up against the tube before flaring. In other words, if the holes in the end caps are just a bit too large (which usually won't matter once the rivet is flared and covers the end cap holes effectively) they tend to droop downward with gravity and must be fiddled with - both sides at once - in order to insure they are properly aligned with the rivets and the beads when the rivet is pressed tightly against them. Does this make sense?

Just my input from all my research; hope it helps. I ultimately purchased the Jim Moore Tool...it arrived safe and sound, and the customer service/email process is responded to quickly and effectively.

Regards from CA,
DeAnne

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-02-17, 9:03am
Ezzy

Thanks everyone who participated int he poll and thanks for the additional information. Last time I was at Jim Moore's his site I saw the drawings but I didn't see the video (might not have noticed it was there). I'm placing my order today and good grief, if I can only keep myself away from all the other goodies!
Old 2008-02-18, 11:29am

I talked with both companies and both were very nice and had plenty of info to offer..i went with retro tools and am quite please with the product and the customer service is incredible!!!!one reason i decided on retro tools was the tool size and the fact that it's very portable..

Old 2008-02-18, 4:45pm
I'm a lilac!

I have the Jim Moore tool and it's wonderful- very easy to use, and really speeds up the work compared to doing it by hand with dapping tools - and I have less breakage as well.

Old 2008-02-18, 9:27pm

I have the jim moore as well and as long as my puckers are even then i do not have any breakage issues. This is when you truly find out if you have good ends on your beads because this tool will definately let you know either by breaking the bead or leaving a gap in the silver on the low end. Luckily, i do not have that many like this but just make sure that if you use it you leave only about 1/16th on each side (silver) or you will tear it when pressing.

steph

p.s. i vote for this tool if you did not get that out of my lengthy paragraph!! lol!
Old 2008-03-05, 10:32am
I'm not Barbie.

I've owned both and I much prefer Jim Moore's.
Old 2008-03-28, 9:04pm
Wild at Heart!

I own Jim's and I love it!! It's easy to use and I haven't had any real problems with breakage.

It's WAY easier than using a dapping tool.

??
Old 2008-04-04, 12:55pm
Broken

I have Jim's and I love it. It's very easy to use. Keep in mind Jim is conctantly thinking of new ways to use the press to minimize your workload and the stress on your hands. He's now got a attachment for the press so you can rivit onto a ring or bracelet.

Old 2008-04-20, 12:01pm
Ezzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph1214 View Post
I have the jim moore as well and as long as my puckers are even then i do not have any breakage issues. This is when you truly find out if you have good ends on your beads because this tool will definately let you know either by breaking the bead or leaving a gap in the silver on the low end. Luckily, i do not have that many like this but just make sure that if you use it you leave only about 1/16th on each side (silver) or you will tear it when pressing.

steph

p.s. i vote for this tool if you did not get that out of my lengthy paragraph!! lol!
This is the tool I ended up buying. I found out how the holes have to be nice and I found out about the tearing but I really like it and actually have a lineup of beads waiting to have some cores inserted.

Thank you all for your comments.
Old 2009-09-04, 12:26pm

Have you tried the Nortel Bead Liner - I've watched the video but would like to hear comments from those who have actually used the Nortel press. I like the idea that the tools are included.

Check out the video link -

http://www.nortelglass.com/beadpresscoreliner.shtml
Old 2009-11-09, 9:32am
Wahwahbabypants

Calibee I saw the bead liner in person this weekend but didn't actually get a chance to see it in 'action'. I will say that I don't think it would be the right tool if you wanted to transport it around for teaching classes as it looked very big to me. But on the flip side I'd say it was well constructed and very sturdy.

I might go Crazyif I don't go Crazy Tonight.
Old 2010-10-02, 11:09am
Uh Oh....

I went with the Jim Moore press because it has a big enough base to be able to rivet beads onto a metal backing. It would be difficult to do this with the Retro Tools one. Plus, Jim makes other tools that work with his press, like the bracelet/ring mandrel and the dapping balls. Jim's press is easy to use. I'm mechanically challenge so if I could figure it out, anyone can. It's a little confusing looking at the picture but once you see it in person, it's a breeze. It does take up more room than the Retro Tools one and is quite heavy. I leave mine always set up so I don't have to move it.

Old 2010-12-21, 10:32pm
Ishum Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibee View Post
Have you tried the Nortel Bead Liner - I've watched the video but would like to hear comments from those who have actually used the Nortel press. I like the idea that the tools are included.

Check out the video link -

http://www.nortelglass.com/beadpresscoreliner.shtml
Got one for my wife for Xmas (her request). I'll let people know how it works out. I liked the fact that you don't need to buy extra tips/fittings (which easily drives up the cost of some of the other ones) and it appears easy to swap from one to another tip in the process. (But then, we are totally new to all this.)
Old 2013-01-07, 11:00am

I've tried 3 bead liners. I started with the Retro bead liner. Wasn't totally happy with it so I bought the Jim Moore Press. It is better than the Retro liner, but I couldn't get consistent results with it.

I finally settled on the Impress Bead Liner. LOVE IT!! I have a cigar box I can take with me and line beads whenever I find a few minutes.

This was not a choice in your poll list, but it definitely works best for me.

Scorpion with 2 Regalia's on NG
Old 2013-01-08, 9:03am
Artistically Absorbed

I have 2 bead liners. The Retro and the Nortel. I use them both, and haven't broken any beads since....knock on wood! I use the Nortel to start the beads, and finish ones without caps. Afterward I put the bead into the Retro to make sure the holes are squared up and big enough. If they are capped I finish them on the Retro. Each tool offers something different. The Retro does not make very wide lips, which is great with caps...but it tends to break more beads if you aren't careful. The Nortel is super simple, nice big lip, almost no breakage, but can make the inside too small if you aren't careful about how big you make the extra tubing. I also don't like the large lip with caps. Together for me they are a perfect lining tool. I love the versatility and the fact I haven't broken a bead since using both.
-Becca

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2015-01-08, 9:30am
Dazed and Confused

I have the Retro bead liner, and I'm pretty happy with it. Its a beautiful little piece of engineering to start with, being milled aluminium.

I do sometimes have problems with beads cracking and chipping around the hole - especially when I'm using too much force - but I almost always put that down to my shoddy hole prep, not the fault of the tool