The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-12-29, 9:58pm
In spite of it all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee View Post
Can I add a brass stump shaper to my list, pretty please?!
That's it? Just that teeny weensy one? Ok, if that's all you wanna ad to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyPhelps View Post
You want a list? OK, here goes -

ALL of those very Euro-sexy looking rounded shapers that come in 3 sizes... Brad had them in his class. they are gorgeous and work beautifully, too.

A nice marble mold so I could stop killing Grandma's soup spoons

Optic mold

one of those corrugated fusing molds to put all the shorts in and make funky mish-mash rods

rod warmer

pre-cut Avery labels, maybe 1/4" high and just long enough for rod labelling so I could print out a sheet when a glass order comes in and then I'd always know WHICH glass did what and what exactly I was using the last time I was at the torch _____ days ago so I could put it away properly and not mix COEs

longer XM antenna cord so my music wouldn't keep cutting in and out!

more 4"-6" graphite squares so I can have several enamel blends out at once and do metals at the same time - ooh! - maybe on a rack, like a vertical parking garage with bead working space between!

That's a start, anyway
Yup, that's a great start!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-12-30, 9:51am
Mr Brutus RIP

Hi ruth
Are you still looking for tool wish lists?
Well, my favorite tool is one of those butter knives and my torch marver, couldn't live with out those. My next favorites are the set of whimsicalaties (sp?) brass shaper tools, those are SO awesome!! (you can get them in the garage sale area!!) I couldn't live with out these.......now, what I'd like is a bigger torch! I have an oxycon but can never seem to save enough for the torch.......I get close and then need glass!! LOL
I have a press but I always knock the bead release off so I'm not so crazy about it. OH, I know, one of those barrel marvers.....I guess its what its called.....I'd LOVE one of those!!
sue

Old 2006-12-31, 12:50am

Okay, Ketchi, let me think now ...

Gotta stay with tools, huh?
Excluding glass and classes, this is absolutely everything from my wish list:

a Val Cox marver
Mandrels - all sizes. Ya just can't straighten out the bend no matter how much you try!
Thompson Enamels
Enamel Sifters (the smaller, the better)
Line Sifter for Enamels
Silver Plating Solution (non-cyanide from Dalmar)
Thin Fiber Paper
24 ga. Nichrome Wire
Janelle Platform Marver
Quartz rod - for fuming
Silver Mesh
Copper Mesh
Mica Powder & Flakes
Whimzimicroshapers
Jim Moore Lentil Tool
Jim Moore Spiral Crimp
Jim Moore Bulls-Eye Crimp
Jim Moore Cushion Press
Brass Stump Shaper
Zoozii's Spree Presses - any/all sizes
metal containers w/clear screw-on lids for frit & enamels
A Compartmentalized glass storage unit with 250 cubbies
A Sandblasting Set-Up (Package SEP#1 from Art on Glass)

There. Is that a better list?!

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio
GTT Phantom & 2-Integra 10's

Old 2006-12-31, 1:24pm
In spite of it all!

yup, Sue... still looking for input and all that. Nice lil list there! I like my antique butter knife too!

Renee.... WOW That is quite the list! I have a Val Cox marver too and just LOVE it! The best brass tool I ever swapped for!

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey

Old 2006-12-31, 9:15pm

Well, Ketchi, as you seemed to imply that my other list was rather meager, I figured if I'm gonna go for it, I might as well really go for it! Actually, my first list, with the brass stump shaper added to it, is really just fine for me. The other list is my "greedy" list!

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio

Old 2006-12-31, 9:24pm
In spite of it all!

Renee... I luv ya! Dreams are not greedy! It's what evil thing we do to get those things that makes us the G word! If you work hard and all that... it's not greedy to have the tools you need/want to try!
Besides... my dh says if yur gonna be a bear... be a big bear!

Did I say I realy love the input? You go right ahead and make those lists as long as you want!!

Old 2007-01-01, 1:22pm

Okay, Ketchi, picture me as a great big, lumbering, but very kind polar bear. (Okay, so polar bears aren't friendly, but I'm the exception to the rule!) I'm the biggest polar bear ya ever did see! Now, picture me (the bear) at a torch. Wow, that's too hot for me! Gotta take a break to the nearest iceberg to cool off.

Okay, that's better. I took a little bear nap, and had this greedy dream! Now, back to the torch.

Well, I'm working on improving my skills, but these paws of mine are a bit cumbersome, and stringer work is a real bear!!! Bwaaahahahahaha!!!

Oh, I crack myself up ...

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio

Old 2007-01-01, 1:26pm
In spite of it all!

lol.... Renee. I love picture stories!

Old 2007-01-03, 8:59am

Drew Frit's infinite rim marble molds... I forgot to add that..
Old 2007-01-03, 5:03pm
Cancer SUCKS!

Now more then ever I need a BEAD Fairy to help. Hopefully they will come by and see my list. I will be out of a job the end of January, yikes.

I have added a few more things to my list.

One of those expensive oxygen making machines!!
Corina Magic Wand
Brass pokers
Dental picks made out of brass
Clear top metal containers for all my frit
I would LOVE more presses.
The spree, large lentil press that is more shallow (hence using less glass), bigger torch -

I currently am on a minor
a rolling craftsman tool chest
kiln that I can also fuse in,
new chair,
slumping molds,
ring mandrels in many sizes,
digital camera so that I can photograph my items I want to sell,
Digital controller for my kiln
ring saw
glass grinder
tumbler
steel shot
Silver Smithing tools - to solder and make my own beadables

more mandrels - noticing many of mine aren't straight anymore

I NEED an Electric Mandrel Spinner!!!!

I also NEED a metal stamp to make tags from here http://www.infinitystamps.com/jewelrystamps.html
Frit making tool
leaf masher
Baracuda Torch
Small heater for when my feet get too cold
Heart press
ruffler press
Egg press
knob press
spiral plank
Shadow Box press
Smircich graphite paddle
Spinning top mold
star masher
heart masher
glass shears

Pair of Didy's with purple frames

Old 2007-01-03, 6:45pm

did you know that there is a company that makes a super heating pad for your FEET?? I don't have one but have been eying it up since I work in a cold basement with concrete floor. Here's the info on it.....http://www.allmats.com/site/439205/page/409830

and yes Deb - the electric mandrel spinner is super. If you can't make a good bead without it you still won't WITH but it does help with production and keeping beads very smooth, shaping a bead is incredible!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Hopeful Journeys View Post
Ok, I've compiled my list. It is HUGE. This has been a great thing to do for me. It is nice to see in writing what I want to save up for.

One of those expensive oxygen making machines!!
Corina Magic Wand
Brass pokers
Dental picks made out of brass
Clear top metal containers for all my frit
I would LOVE more presses.
The spree, large lentil press that is more shallow (hence using less glass), bigger torch -

I currently am on a minor
a rolling craftsman tool chest
kiln that I can also fuse in,
new chair,
slumping molds,
ring mandrels in many sizes,
digital camera so that I can photograph my items I want to sell,
Digital controller for my kiln
ring saw
glass grinder
tumbler
steel shot
Silver Smithing tools - to solder and make my own beadables

more mandrels - noticing many of mine aren't straight anymore

I NEED an Electric Mandrel Spinner!!!!

I also NEED a metal stamp to make tags from here http://www.infinitystamps.com/jewelrystamps.html

Wow, it is going to take me years to complete this list.

Thanks for updating us. Even though it is more VAGUE then ever, lol.

and also ......
Old 2007-01-04, 11:18am

Is this list still going?

Well, I've read so many of you mentioning the Val Cox marver, I'm going to have to go check that out. And the Jim Moore stuff, have to look at that too.

I guess more glass would be on my list. I've been lampworking for almost two years and there are still moretti/effettre colors out there that I have not tried. And don't even get me started on the other kinds of glass. Wow. Then I'd like a better way to store my glass. I always drool when someone posts their custom made wooden cases.

On the other side of things, I'm also looking for a new way to store my beads. I'm thinking of getting one of those craft organizers that I see advertized in my bead magazines:
http://www.bestscrapbookshelf.com/

Ana
Old 2007-01-05, 2:59am

I need to add a rolling tool table to the mix....GREAT work table.....sit or stand....I think this list pretty much includes what a glass store has in it.
Old 2007-01-17, 5:27pm
In spite of it all!

ok, keeping this short.... Still in Seattle and won't be home until the evening of the 19th. I need people that are interested in testing tools to send me an email and tell me what they are curently making and what type of glass they are using and such... including frits and stringers too. Send it to my email rather then a PM. I will be selecting testers very soon.

Old 2007-01-18, 6:21am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post
One of the marvers w/the spot drilled in it to steady your mandrel when your spinning it...

A kiln (hey, you *said* dream big, ) that I could fuse dichro pendants & do PMC stuff in when it was too cold to lampwork outdoors (since my torch has to be used outside ) so I could still "play with glass"! Oh & a "rod pod" that fit in it so I could fuse all my shorts, weird stringers & stuff into funky rods (how fun would that be? I saw them in the bullseye catalog & thought they looked like a great fun "toy" to have!)

Hmm...can I just put "everything I don't already have" in this space?
~luna
What she said

ANYTHING to help steady the hands or ease the shoulder pain (pms tool, electric mandrel spinner, etc.). I never thought I'd be interested in fusing but I've seen some cool stuff and also those neat bead bending tools and techniques intrigue me but I need the hotter kiln. And then both Luna and I can have glass play while it's too cold outside to torch!!

I like the brass tools and pokers - need to clean mine and start using it with the beeswax more. The Jim Moore spiral mashers look cool no matter what metal they are!

A bead release that cleans out seemlessly or an ultrasonic that really does it for you? Otherwise - a bead slave that will do it for me.

Better eyesight so when everything looks straight and lovely when I put it in the kiln it actually comes OUT that way the next morning?

hmmmm boro glasses that protect my eyes but still let me SEE?

OK - nowwwwww I'm just being off the wall ....

Martha