Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-01-17, 11:04pm

Default Question about BE Antique White

I made a few beads with a BE Steel Blue base and Antique White dots. Most of them have a dark line around the Ant. White that looks great. On one bead I topped the ant. white with a dot of BE clear, didn't like what I was doing, and used my pick to rake the colors. This bead now looks like the white and clear are scorched.

I was working in a neutral flame and only the bead with the clear has the scorched look. Any ideas why those colors would look this way?

Thanks,
Angela
Old 2007-01-18, 5:29am
Where's the coffee?

I always work with an oxidizing flame when working my bullseye and I never have a problem with scorching. The white colors are especially prone to turning black and need more oxy than all the other colors. Maybe that is it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-01-18, 6:38am

You probably raked some of the reaction layer (the dark line between the steel blue and antique white) into your clear.

I've made beads with that combo (and I think they're better than moretti Ivory/Aqua ), but I haven't encased or spot encased them.

How long did you heat the clear before you raked it? If you heat long enough/too close to the torch face, you can burn your clear. ( I'm not going to admit to HOW I know that, or anything, though.....)