Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-01-19, 6:56am

Default 2 oz Frit lasts you...

How long does 2 oz frit last you? How many beads does it make? I've been wanting to buy some but I can't get over the mental block that it's such a small amount and I am on a budget so I can't go on a buck wild spending spree.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
It's great to be a FLORIDA GATOR!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-01-19, 7:01am
one day at a time

Okay, I think I did figure that out the other day!

I bought a 2oz jar of raku recently, and after I had made 45 beads, it was down about 1/5. Hope that helps! It does go a long way, more than you think it would.
Old 2007-01-19, 7:05am
Satake Woman!

It depends. Do you make large beads or small beads? Do you layer on a ton of frit, or use just a tad? Tell you what, PM me your addy and I will send you some samples to play with.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2007-01-19, 7:48am
sunscreen me baby

It does last a long time. I buy the little 1 oz minis from Spiral dance and they last about 6 sets of 8. I make frit beads around 16 to 19mm.

~

Old 2007-01-19, 1:15pm

When Kitty hosted the frit swap on WC (and then graciously let me copy her method & gave me loads of tips on how to host a hugely successful swap here on LE, complete with vendor samples, thanks Kitty!) she had us swapping/sending 1/4-1/3 teaspoon samples--I upped that to 1/2 a teaspoon for ease of measuring, but didn't go larger, in order to NOT interfere with the vendors business ('cause I wanted to host a "let's entice people to *buy* swap, but still give enough to sample). She had figured out that between 1/4 to 1/3 teaspoonful was enough to do an average set of 5 sample beads, with a fairly good roll of frit--more than enough to get good coverage & see the colors/effects the frit provided. So--you could obviously get a couple heavily fritted focals out of that same amount if you didn't do "regular bracelet" beads
That's of course assuming you're using the ~96 coe frit on 104 glass (remember, you aren't supposed to go insane on the amounts due to the disparity in coe!)
Now, if you're using it on 96coe glass, well, then load on as much as you want...but the frit is pretty intense & you don't *need* an ounce to get most effects--usually a couple rolls in the frit & you've covered most of the underlying base glass anyway!
~luna
frit addict....

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2007-01-19, 1:21pm
Entropy increasing....

If you take a 2x3 inch little plastic zip lock baggie and fill it with frit - that is 2 oz. Fill it full up.
Old 2007-01-19, 4:36pm
over the moon space cadet

Forever....
I'm not too much of a frit girl, but I sure keep buying it....lol
If I buy a jar, it will hang around the studio forever - unless it's raku. I burn through that pretty fast.
Since I've become mostly a focal beadmker (can't remember the last set I made), it lasts even longer.
Wow, that was informative, huh?

" We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled.
The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over
and let the beautiful stuff out. - Ray Bradbury
Old 2007-01-19, 5:38pm

Thanks all! I went ahead and bought some today. Seems like it will last a lot longer than I thought Cool. Thanks so much to Jo (dogmaw) for so generously offering a sample too. Can't wait to see what I can make. Woo Hoo
-Brandy (A soon to be frit ho)

It's great to be a FLORIDA GATOR!