Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-01-08, 6:08pm
glass nerd!

Question Questions about selling beads

I have a couple of questions for whoever will answer. Do you sell a lot of your beads? If so, where? I have been making beads for about 2 years and I'm not the greatest but am o.k. I have an opportunity to sell some of my stuff at a streetmarket coming up in the summer but it costs $179 for 12 weeks to be in it. It is downtown next to the clinics and hospitals and a lot of people go thru there. It is every other thurs. My husband doesnt think I will sell anything. He kindof thinks my beading is a stupid hobby. I sold over $400 (at work-hospital) worth of bookmarks, and bracelets in one month but he thinks it was b/c of xmas. ? is do u think I would sell anything or just be wasting my money? I really enjoy making beads and would like to sell more of my stuff. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 2007-01-08, 7:36pm

your hubby sounds like he needs a good kick for not being more supportive..
OMG did I say that??!?!
12 weeks for 179$ isnt bad at all. Some of my shows have cost that for 1 day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-01-08, 8:23pm

The important it is the pleasure you have with your hobby
400$ in one month, xmas or not it is for me a good start ...
Old 2007-01-08, 8:27pm

Have you tried eBay? You could look at some of the beads in the ending today section (lampwork US) and see how yours compare to those and how much money they are selling for. You might surprise your husband.
Old 2007-01-08, 8:40pm
Life is change. Love it

I've also been making beads for two years. When I first started I sold all my beads as made jewelry, and did pretty well. Over the last year I've built up my ebay sales to the point where I make very little jewelry (but will probably cave in to pressure soon)

I'm sure your jewelry will sell well as long as it is priced for the market. I've kept my prices fairly low as I live in a rural area and I don't use my complex ebay beads in my own jewelry, I leave that to better designers. The cost of your streetmarket stand seems very reasonable, and every other Thursday is great! Two and three day shows are killer for me!

I say go for it, I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised!

Old 2007-01-08, 8:44pm
Hello?

$179 is a great deal I think. I would do it in a heart beat! You might not sell much or you might just sell a ton, one never knows unless you try.

The only selling off the net I do is through a local artisan gallery. Otherwise I sell through Etsy, Ebay and my website.

~Joe~

Old 2007-01-08, 8:46pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

Make sure you're set with a "seller's license" for your state.....it's all that tax stuff....it also makes you a legitimate business and not a hobby....so from a business perspective you can start depretiation on equipment....and also send sales tax quarterly to your state!

Old 2007-01-09, 4:22am

$179 for 12 weeks sounds like a great deal! And that sounds like a wonderful opportunity! If you can stand it for the 12 weeks.

I sell all my beads on ebay and once in a blue moon on Justbeads. My sister has sold some by bringing them into bead stores.

Old 2007-01-09, 4:38am

Default Ebay

Honey, I don't want to be rude, but, have you thought of selling your husband on Ebay? You might get a new one there that is not so dismissive of your interests.

Kym
Old 2007-01-09, 5:35am
Formerly known as LT

Kym's plan sounds good
Old 2007-01-09, 12:46pm
glass nerd!

You guys are great! Some days I would love to sell him. He just thinks I should spend it on the house. We are remodeling an old farm house. But I think I am going to try it and see what happens. Thanks for the great support.
Old 2007-01-09, 6:58pm
Damn Frit Bitch

I usually make mine up and sell them in jewelry. Works pretty good. I think you should go for it and you'll do pretty good. Have mostly affordable pieces and some really nice things just in case somebody needs something special. My husband isn't really supportive either, but he's always happy when I sell things. I hope you surprise him!!!!
Old 2007-01-09, 8:06pm

Do the street fair. Then give him *back* the $179 from your profit to "spend on the house" & keep EVERY OTHER CENT you make for yourself/to renovate your studio area--because *he* said you wouldn't make anything
And $179 for 12 weeks is incredible--break that down to "per day" & you've only got to sell a couple inexpensive items each day to cover your table fees...that's NOTHING!!
~luna

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2007-01-09, 8:12pm

I say "Go For It" Make your husband put both feet directly in mouth. Pluse $179 for 12 weeks? OMG I would die for an opportunity like that. Here in PalmHell we have NO craft show's and such. .....
I need to move back to Arizona!!!
Irene

Old 2007-01-09, 8:13pm
What, Me Worry?

Absolutely Do It!

tip #1... In addition to your show stock...
take your orphan beads and put them in a bowl for sale. Price them $3.50 each. Only put in one of each kind... no duplicates (use your duplicates to replace the ones that sell). Even use the name "Orphans" on the table tag. The orphans will pay for your table fee.

Those that love your work (and they will ) and want a momento of the experience will buy an orphan. Others will see the bargain they are getting on a set and buy all your sets.

tip #2 Since this is a street market...
the buyers might not know 'artisan crafted beads'... take your torch and just sit it on the end of the table... you can point to the beads and say...I made them... with this torch. You did ??? OOOOOhhhhh your sooooo talented!!!! Then just smile and take their money

Take all your loot and go splurge on yourself. You deserve it... you will be working hard making lots more beads in between show days.

As for the "DH"... <edited... I think it was well covererd in the post #9 above by Kym... just don't expect a bidding war>.

Me
Old 2007-01-10, 5:56pm
Striking-impared...

Oh wow -- $179 for 12 weeks is a great deal!!!

I like Luna's suggestion though -- give him back the $179 for the house and spend the rest on yourself!

Old 2007-01-12, 9:37am
OY and Psyche Junkie

Go for it Corey! You'll never know if you don't try it. And $179 for 12 weeks - OMG! That's a fantastic price. A small price to pay compared to some shows that don't run as long. And as you're walking out the door on your way to the show, give that husband of yours a good swift kick!

Good luck with the show!

Cheers
Kathy

Minor with one concentrator

Old 2007-01-12, 11:41pm
glass nerd!

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm going to do it.
Old 2007-01-15, 10:06pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

I have a husband like yours. He could care less about my art and is very unsupportive. (He thinks it's a waste of time). I sell all my beads on ebay and I don't share any of the money with him. I've been able to to buy myself some really nice things that way.

Ebay:
Old 2007-01-16, 8:29am

Just had to say good luck, Corey!

You'll never know until you try...

Old 2007-01-21, 6:45am

please post as things go, i cant wait to hear the rest of the story, good for you for going for it, thats an amazing price, most things by me are that for 1-3 days. good luck!!!!!!!!!!!
ro
ps, ive heard a suggestion somewhere to bring some string or leather with you, you can string an orphan bead for a bracelets or a necklaces for 5$ (make the adjustable knots, basically tie each end around the cord so it slides), you could even make it geared for kids, for 5$ lots of parents would love to get them a souvenier and they get to wear it around, maybe someone else will admire it and they will point them to your table!
ro
Old 2007-01-21, 7:05am
sunscreen me baby

Ro that is a fantastic idea. I did a summer street festival and brought along leather cord. I offered a free piece with any bead purchased from my bowl of boo boo beads. Teens loved it, especially boys, who knew?

~