Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-02-02, 10:35pm
a pox upon an idiot :..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
I have some zimmerman frit (I think size 1) that is purple and green. I have it labeld as z-99, do you think that is right or is it the z851 or z850? I used to have more but gave it away years ago, darn it!
I have the same purple and green Z-99 that I bought from OCR a long time ago, it's still in the labeled kilo bag that it originally came in. I don't have much left but was confused at why it had green in it. I'm glad to see that I wasn't the only one to have this blend.

Does anyone else have or remember the Z-99 with the green in it? I bought a sample from Ingridh years ago, with the green, and then ordered the kilo from OCR. As far as I can remember it was shortly after Val came out with the Raku Jitterbug that she sold.
Old 2011-02-03, 1:42am
I'm a lilac!

I've never seen the purple and green! Sounds really pretty though.

Has anyone tried any of the Z grays or beiges? I am really tempted by them but I've spent way too much on frit this month already!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-02-03, 7:49am

Starr. glad to see you have it labeled the same way. This is from at least 8 years ago, if not more. Occ I'll get a green spot, but that was more when I was on my HH, I used it the other day and it is all purple when melted. I hadn't used it in years until all this talk about z99 started. It's cool stuff.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2011-02-03, 10:15am
Against the Grain

I'm glad somebody brought this up. I have this frit with the green in it too. I got it a long time ago and it is labeled as Z-99 Purple Rose. I never had any reason to doubt that it was until I saw the photos of what others had for sale recently. Then I started to wonder if maybe mine had been labeled incorrectly. Here is a photo. I'll try to melt some onto a paddle later.

Old 2011-02-03, 11:05am
I'm a lilac!

I melted the dark gray and the ivory yesterday... the gray is beeeeyootiful! Creamy and dense and has lots of variation. I went ahead and ordered the light gray and beige, to see what they look like.

The ivory I'm not so sure about; it's reactive (finally, I find a reactive 96 ivory... and it's out of production. ) but kind of translucent, and might be awesome or might be another "WTF am I going to do with this?". It's a lot like the dense white, only reactive, so I bet the potential is big if I play with it. I'm going to have to try it on a few different base colors.

Old 2011-02-03, 12:59pm
Semi Retired

I also bought this frit in size 1 from OCR long time ago and it is labeled Z-850. The new batch of Z-850 I received in size 3 is all pink/purple. So it is indeed puzzling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Moon Lampwork View Post
I'm glad somebody brought this up. I have this frit with the green in it too. I got it a long time ago and it is labeled as Z-99 Purple Rose. I never had any reason to doubt that it was until I saw the photos of what others had for sale recently. Then I started to wonder if maybe mine had been labeled incorrectly. Here is a photo. I'll try to melt some onto a paddle later.

|

|

|

|

Old 2011-02-03, 2:21pm
Against the Grain

It turns all purple when it is heated.

Old 2011-02-03, 3:46pm

Wow! That's a gorgeous purple!
Old 2011-02-03, 4:38pm
formerly Marella

Can we talk about Zimmermann lampworking cane too?

I just got my order yesterday and I'm so excited to try out the colours!

I love the Z-87 blue green...it's exactly the same colour as boro Blue Spruce, and reacts wonderfully with R-108

~
~
~
Old 2011-02-03, 4:43pm
I'm a lilac!

Yes! I haven't even tried the cane.

Old 2011-02-03, 4:55pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
Yes! I haven't even tried the cane.
What??????!!!!!

Old 2011-02-03, 4:58pm
Against the Grain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillianbeads View Post

I love the Z-87 blue green...it's exactly the same colour as boro Blue Spruce, and reacts wonderfully with R-108
I hope you will post photos! The only cane I have is Z-99. It's very very shocky. I'd be interested to know if the other colors are too.

Old 2011-02-03, 5:04pm
formerly Marella

The Z87 wasn't shocky at all...it sparks a wee bit when it's really hot, to make the raku react, but what a lovely colour.

The beads I made last night are still on the mandrels, but I'll post a pic when I get them cleaned.

~
~
~
Old 2011-02-03, 5:05pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
I hope you will post photos! The only cane I have is Z-99. It's very very shocky. I'd be interested to know if the other colors are too.
Not that I've found, but the cane I have was purchased a few years ago.

Old 2011-02-03, 6:04pm

sshhhhh........don't tell everyone!!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/67258911...it-30gr?ref=em

this is advertised in the auctions thread, and I just got some!! Yay!!
Old 2011-02-03, 6:56pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
What??????!!!!!
I know! I've been too frit-focused...

I made a bunch of sets today, which I should be able to photographs of on Saturday.

Old 2011-02-03, 7:07pm

Quote:

Mine is more purple and the green is brighter. I'm going to try to take a photo tomorrow. But is looks similar

Old 2011-02-03, 7:39pm

That's interesting; her frit looks purple and green too. But she has it listed as Purple Rose but the ID number is different. All my Z-99 frit is the dusty lavender color too but maybe different batches produce purple/green frit mixes. The end color result is still gorgeous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by labelleperle View Post
sshhhhh........don't tell everyone!!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/67258911...it-30gr?ref=em

this is advertised in the auctions thread, and I just got some!! Yay!!
Quote:
It turns all purple when it is heated.

Old 2011-02-04, 10:51am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

I just added some Z850 in my etsy shop. No pictures because we know what it looks like. I also have a HUGE 2 1/2 lb. rod of Z99 Purple Rose & will make some frit if we get desperate for it.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/VivianLampw...ion_id=7768887

Vivian

-

Old 2011-02-04, 3:59pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari'elle View Post
That's interesting; her frit looks purple and green too. But she has it listed as Purple Rose but the ID number is different. All my Z-99 frit is the dusty lavender color too but maybe different batches produce purple/green frit mixes. The end color result is still gorgeous!

Her name is wrong. Z850 is Lilac, Z851 is Lilac Rose Special and Z99 is Purple Rose Special.

Old 2011-02-04, 7:36pm

So I posted about the green. Here is my frit, straight out of the Kilo bag from OCR labeled Z99. I don't recall if I relabled, I do know that a friend and I went to the store and shared.

Totally forgot I had this Z851 rod that I broke into chunks. All this talk about Zimmerman lead me to look around and see what I have. Even played with some too.
Attached Images

Old 2011-02-05, 10:19am
formerly Marella

Here's the Z87 with R108 rod...both sides

...sorry about all the reflection

~
~
~
Old 2011-02-05, 10:53am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Here's the Z87 with R108 rod...both sides

...sorry about all the reflection
That bead is GORGEOUS and the Z-87 is an amazing color... very reminiscent of GA Agua Azul, one of my favorite boro colors.

Old 2011-02-05, 11:09am

Gillian that bead is stunning!! What amazing colors!
Old 2011-02-05, 11:14am
Against the Grain

Beautiful!

Old 2011-02-05, 2:35pm
formerly Marella

Thanks so much...I have to admit I was happy when I opened the kiln.

~
~
~
Old 2011-02-05, 3:55pm
><>

Quote:

It is beautiful, for sure. Those beads are rich.
So is that solid cane with r-108 or is the cane over
a clear, or core color?
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2011-02-05, 5:18pm
Against the Grain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
So I posted about the green. Here is my frit, straight out of the Kilo bag from OCR labeled Z99. I don't recall if I relabled, I do know that a friend and I went to the store and shared.

Totally forgot I had this Z851 rod that I broke into chunks. All this talk about Zimmerman lead me to look around and see what I have. Even played with some too.
That's interesting Lara. Your green looks almost like uranium. I'd like to see it melted.

Old 2011-02-05, 5:30pm
formerly Marella

I made a clear core first, encased it with Z87, then stripes of R108.
I figure that since the Zimmermann cane is almost gone, I'm going to maximize what I can get out of it.

Being furnace cane it's also really saturated...I blew a small ornament with it tonight, and I'll see how it looks in the morning.

~
~
~
Old 2011-02-05, 7:00pm

Quote:
That's interesting Lara. Your green looks almost like uranium. I'd like to see it melted.
It melts into the purple colors. If I can take a decent photo, I should have it up tomorrow.