Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-01-09, 3:49pm

Default transparent frit?

I am still very much in the learning stages of this hobby/craft. I thought I'd "play around" with some frit. All the pretty colors and beads that I see posted got me interested. I purchased a couple of colors on ebay (I know, first mistake). I didn't realize that the glass was transparent colors until I received the package. I've tried several times, all the colors get washed out when I melt the frit. Atleast, I didn't spend a bunch of money on colors and glass I can't seem to use.

But my question is, what do you do with transparent frit? What are some options? Does anyone have any ideas and pictures to share? I even have some clear frit (atleast I knew what that was....) it is suppose to be irredescent. (sp?)

Help!!
thanks in advance
Kristin
Old 2015-01-09, 4:28pm

To get the colors to show up - if its 104 coe frit - make a base bead of white and then roll in the colored transparent frit for a confetti bead look.

If you are into fusing and it 90 or 96 coe frit, you can get the same coe white sheet glass, do the exact same thing and fuse into whatever you are creating - bowl, tile, etc....

I have even used this techniques on reactive transparent frits - laying on a base of ivory or white or other opaque light colors can give some interesting effects.....

The clear iridescent is that way on purpose - they make iridescent sheet glass in clear. I have used the iridescent clear over a layer of black sheet glass and fused into a bowl - gives a metalflake rainbow effect.

Last edited by nevadaglass; 2015-01-09 at 4:31pm.
Old 2015-01-09, 9:04pm
Corgi Cult Member

What colors and brands did you purchase? It is possible some could be striking colors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-01-10, 7:19am

Default transparent frit

I don't remember what brand, they came in little baggies. I'm pretty sure it was either 96 COE or close to that. I know it wasn't a brand that I now know or see here.

So far no fun striking colors.
The colors are walnut brown, moss green and olive green. I was hoping to mix them and come up with a "camo" look. Not in my hands!

I haven't tried any fusing....no kiln.

I haven't even tried the iridescent clear. Maybe I'll try is over a pretty bright color and see if is sparkles.

Atleast it was cheap, no big monetary loss....

Kristin
Old 2015-01-10, 8:26am
SCIENCE Teacher!

You can always experiment and see what happens since your investment is low.You can also post in the RAOGK area and ask for some folks to send you some little bags of frit. It's an area of the forum you sign up for with your address and a small wish list. If you PM me your address I will send you a little bit of this-n-that. Let me know what colors you like. I don't have a lot, but I can send you some to play with.

BTW, Thatfritgirl (online) has little tiny sample baggies for sale cheap and good quality.

Now, here's what I do. Sometimes I make my own and I don't even spend on a special grinder. I heat the end of the rod until it glows then pull it off into a bowl of water. I use distilled water to help keep from forming scum on the frit. If I want to make a frit mix I use one bowl. If I want to keep the separate then I use multiple bowls. After I am done with that torching session I carefully pour off the water. If you have one of those kitchen screen things that you are willing to use for glass only from now on, then you can use that. I put the glass crunchies on paper towel to finish drying. After they dry they are easy to crunch up some more using a hammer. Ta dah!! You have 104 frit that is compatible with your glass. The only down side is that it is fairly chunky frit. You have to grind it to get the fine size. (if interested in using a grinder then you can search for other threads related to that)

I tried an irid frit once and got loads of scum on my beads. You can always try and see if yours does the same.

Good luck and happy torching!
Old 2015-01-10, 8:32pm
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Kristen, I have so much frit I could fuse it into a battleship, if you PM me your address I will send you some to play with .

Transparent frit can be nice on white, otherwise melt the end of a clear rod & dip it in the frit & then make a bead with the rod, melting & dipping back in the frit when you need to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MrsD; 2015-01-10 at 8:34pm.
Old 2015-01-11, 5:57am

Thanks I'll give it a try to make some frit with some of the colors I have.

BTW Robin thanks so much for your wonderful bead release! I do the "happy happy dance" every time I get my beads off the mandrel now that I'm using your release.

Kristin
Old 2015-01-11, 5:58am

Will do.... thanks!!