Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-01-17, 9:37pm

Default what bead release to use for presses

i am new to trying presses and presently using bucket of mud. the release seems to crumble and adheres of course to the glass. Is there a preferred release? i don't know if temp has any bearing on release, my shop can get below freezing. so far in general use there has not been a problem, i've never had a problem with removing a bead.
thanks Bayard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2007-01-17, 9:40pm

I've always used Alice's Bead Release and never had any problems with it when I make pressed beads.

http://www.alicesstainedglass.com/

Candy

Old 2007-01-18, 5:49am
Striking-impared...

I use Foster Fire most often, sometimes mixed with a little Bucket O Mud. Been pressing beads for 2.5 years.

I tend to coat my mandrels with 2 very thin coats, as opposed to one thicker one. Seems like 2 thin coats gives me a little more protection if the bead release breaks when I press too hard.

Old 2007-01-18, 9:33am

I am a real convert to KRAGG Mudd, it almost never breaks, and even when it does, the bead stays put on the mandrel long enough to finish it. I flame-dry, and have had success with it in a range of consistencies, though I try to keep it a medium thickness. If I get bubbly bumps while drying I'll add a bit of water.
www.kittrellriffkind.com
Good Luck!
Kim

[/size]
Old 2007-01-18, 9:52am
Missing presumed fed

I use Alice's. You have to try to keep the flame off the mandrel. The bead release does tend to crack if I press more than once, which generally happens. I always blow on the press before I put the glass down to get off any flakes of bead release that might be there from the last press. If I get a flake of bead release on the bead, I can almost always flick it off with my razor tool before I put the bead back in the flame. You have to look at the bead after you press but before you go back in the flame. If you heat a bead with release on it, you have to tweeze the release off, and that usually messes up the design.
Old 2007-01-18, 10:08am
sunscreen me baby

I use Bucket of Mudd. Are you using 3/32s? I have found that 1/16th mandrels are much better for keeping bead release from flaking.
I also blow on my presses a lot to make sure no bead release is in the cavity if I made a bead in a different cavity just before.

~

Old 2007-01-18, 10:09am
sunscreen me baby

holy run on sentance Batman! lol

~

Old 2007-01-18, 1:08pm

I have used BOM and Foster and Sludge. I think they all have their ups and downs.
I have a tendancy to bend 1/16 mandrels so I use 3/32 for the most part. I am actually going to try and get that in-between size someone wrote about in another thread.
I air dry the mandrel before I start torching.
I also use a cosmetic brush to dust out my presses, plus blow .

Quite honestly I don't think anyone has created a tried and true no crumble in the press release!

Now thats a run on too!

Anne

Old 2007-01-18, 1:14pm
Formerly Travelin'gal

I use sludge plus. I've tried foster fire and it is too flakey for me.

~
~
~
~
~
Old 2007-01-18, 8:28pm
ID10T Problem Solver

I have a 2 part approach....I use Zippz! bead release and 1/16 mandrels.

***Scorpion (4 stud)***
Old 2007-01-18, 10:44pm

thanks all,
i may be applying it to thick, or applying to much heat to the 1/16 mandrel. i will cut back on both to see.
Bayard

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.